PDA

View Full Version : lw and final cut express HD

cresshead
11-11-2005, 01:06 PM
hi
i'm running final cut express HD on mac [new to it] and can't find how to use a sequence of images i've rendererd out from lightwave and want to import them and overlay them on a video track above my camcorder footage [transparent png32 files from lw]

i've looked in the manual that comes with final cut but there's nothing about importing a sequence of images from such things as 3d app for use as title bars etc...all they say is you can create a .mov buy buying quicktime pro...which will of course NOT create a mov with a usable alpha channel i think!

i come from using premiere where that app just 'sees' a image sequence on import ...it's a no brainer!....so anyone help here???

please! :)

steve g

mats4d_
11-11-2005, 01:28 PM
Cress -

sorry to sat, FCP does NOT import image sequence (I know, its unbeliavable)

You would need to trick it this way

http://www.creativemac.com/2003/02_feb/tutorials/fcpimagesequence030204.htm

I know it sucks, it should be a drag and drop thing.. another way is encoding an animation coded lossless quicktime file with millions of colors+ (alpha channel)

hope that helps

matt

cresshead
11-11-2005, 01:53 PM
thank you!!!!!!!!!

i've been using combustion to do any animated overlays in the meantime but this is painful as i have to move the clips i want back over to my SGI pc from the mac..hardly ideal!

and how ODD that final cut can't do a sequence of images!...bro what apoor app for a version 3 of a app..even final cut pro doesn't do it!...
looks like i'll need to buy quicktime pro to save time/headaches then!

:cursin:

Meshbuilder
11-11-2005, 03:11 PM
If you don't want to buy QT pro just open the image sequence in LightWave as backdrop and render it to the quicktime format you want..

Avebeno
11-11-2005, 04:59 PM
Do you have time to rerender the sequence as a quicktime animation using the animaion codec and Millions of colors+ ...?

blueagave
11-11-2005, 06:49 PM
Maybe I'm missing something here, but this works just fine for me in FCE -

1) Drag the folder containing my sequence of images onto the scene tab, which imports the folder full of images into FC.
2) Drag the folder from the scene tab to the sequence playback window, and drop it on the 'Insert' that pops up.

Make more sequences and drag 'n drop onto them.

While it would be nice if it made a scene automagically from 1), it doesn't seem that onerous a process.

Yamba
11-11-2005, 07:26 PM
Your right blueagave, I run FCpro and I just import the folder containing the sequence. It works no problems with LW renders and fPrime, although I have to cut and paste the data info to another folder with fP sequences. :i_agree:

Nigel Baker
11-12-2005, 06:10 AM
Hello cresshead,

Yes it is crazy.
I normally just use QT Pro to import in and save as a QT file, or Motion, that will link up with FCP(if you have motion).
Or if the animation is small enough output from LW as a QT and import that in.

By the way do you have combustion for the Mac, if so is it still version 3 awaiting version 4 and are you happy with it.