PDA

View Full Version : Documentation for a newbie? Also, GPI

StephanAhonen
11-10-2005, 10:50 PM
Does anyone know where I can get a complete reference to the functions and syntax of Toasterscript? I know I could try to reverse-engineer everything that's already there, but I'd rather have some actual documentation.

Also, is anyone familiar with using the GPI inputs on the BOB? I would like to be able to use GPI triggers to execute functions on my VT from a video switcher using some toasterscript.

Jim_C
11-11-2005, 06:38 AM
TS docs are in this thread:
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=42511

Good luck

Jim

PIZAZZ
11-11-2005, 01:35 PM
Does anyone know where I can get a complete reference to the functions and syntax of Toasterscript? I know I could try to reverse-engineer everything that's already there, but I'd rather have some actual documentation.

Also, is anyone familiar with using the GPI inputs on the BOB? I would like to be able to use GPI triggers to execute functions on my VT from a video switcher using some toasterscript.

What Jim pointed to will help you do it the hard way. or.......

Just buy the $99 MIDI-VT plugin and do it the easy way.

http://www.youngmonkey.ca/hands/restaurant/plugins/MIDI-VT/index.html

StephanAhonen
11-11-2005, 06:44 PM
Let me know when you find a video switcher with a MIDI interface. In the meantime, I'll stick with GPI, which is the only language my Echolab Nova and VT have in common, unless you can figure out a way I can control the VT through P-Bus (a device control protocol that runs off a serial port). If you do manage to develop a plugin that gives P-Bus capabilities to VT, let me know because I'd probably buy it.

I'm mostly looking into interfacing them together so that I can cue and roll DDR transitions (not animations, transitions, where the DDR animates full and a cut happens underneath) from my switcher instead of firing them manually. To get an idea of what I'm doing, watch a sports broadcast some time, in particular when they go to a replay, an animation flies across the screen and it cuts to the replay underneath. The animation runs out of an external DDR and the whole effect is a sequence programmed into the switcher, which has machine control over the DDR through the P-Bus protocol. In my case, I can live with setting things up on the VT semi-manually and using a GPI to fire off the actual transition.

PIZAZZ
11-13-2005, 10:37 PM
Let me know when you find a video switcher with a MIDI interface. In the meantime, I'll stick with GPI, which is the only language my Echolab Nova and VT have in common, unless you can figure out a way I can control the VT through P-Bus (a device control protocol that runs off a serial port). If you do manage to develop a plugin that gives P-Bus capabilities to VT, let me know because I'd probably buy it.

I'm mostly looking into interfacing them together so that I can cue and roll DDR transitions (not animations, transitions, where the DDR animates full and a cut happens underneath) from my switcher instead of firing them manually. To get an idea of what I'm doing, watch a sports broadcast some time, in particular when they go to a replay, an animation flies across the screen and it cuts to the replay underneath. The animation runs out of an external DDR and the whole effect is a sequence programmed into the switcher, which has machine control over the DDR through the P-Bus protocol. In my case, I can live with setting things up on the VT semi-manually and using a GPI to fire off the actual transition.

OK here you go.
In HD or SD, not exactly a "broadcast" solution but Broadcast Quality is purely subjective.

An HD solution (http://www.edirol.com/products/info/images/v440hd.jpg)

or

An SD Solution (http://www.edirol.com/products/info/images/v4_diagonal.jpg)

MIDI outputs can also easily trigger relays which can control anything you desire. The main reason I suggest MIDI versus GPI is MIDI will give you much much more powerful combinations of functions. GPI gives you Auto or Take.

mikkowilson
11-14-2005, 08:29 AM
..You'd need a GPI to run TAKE DSK to do what you want:

DDR with the effect in DSK in CUE IN mode.
PGM soruse if of course the outgoing signal
and PVW is the next video (duh)

GPI first triggers TAKE DSK, which starts up the DDR running the foregournd effect.
At the right moment (based on your transition footage in the DDR) the other GPI fires TAKE (or AUTO if you want to be fancy and have a DVE matching your transition footage).
Finally GPI tigers TAKE DSK again to kill the DDR after the transition (at which point the CUE IN will either loop the clip of jump to the next one (depending on your DDR settings).

It sounds like you are using the VT as a DVE send from your main switcher (a great use for the VT in my oppinon.)
Midi is great, but I really would like to see more GPI control over VT. GPI can be VERY powerfull, and even more so when coupled with Tally.

- Mikko

StephanAhonen
11-15-2005, 05:25 AM
OK here you go.
In HD or SD, not exactly a "broadcast" solution but Broadcast Quality is purely subjective.

Broadcast to me means you can air it on TV. Hence the word "broadcast." 4 inputs and no ability to do a split key is not broadcast quality by any stretch of the term. If you had even bothered to read my posts you would have noticed that my needs are far, far beyond what you've posted. The switcher I'm using right now has 16 SDI inputs, 2 M/Es, 2 actual keyers (not just luminance and chroma key) per M/E, and 8 aux sends. I use half of the inputs, all of the aux sends, both keyers on P/P and one of the keyers on the M/E. Please don't tell me you expect me to be able to do what I do with what you just posted. I would max that switcher out with just my cameras, not to mention graphics, tape decks, and of course the VT.

In 5 years of working in professional broadcast television I've never seen anybody use MIDI for anything. That's from local news up to national sports. It's all P-Bus or machine control for the devices that speak them, and GPI for the ones that don't.

It sounds like you are using the VT as a DVE send from your main switcher

Close enough, it would be awesome if I could actually use the VT as an outboard DVE, but I've found that while it's perfectly happy transforming and warping video to its heart's content, getting it to output a matching key signal so I can key it on the main switcher is, shall we say, rather impossible.

I use it for several things, first, VT-scope is great for shading cameras, it's eliminated the need for an expensive waveform monitor. I use DDRs for video roll-ins and for animated lower-thirds and backgrounds, and I use the CG for, well, CG. While it perhaps doesn't work as well as several dedicated pieces of equipment, I have a very cramped control room and a relatively small budget and the VT works great for that.

I really would like to see more GPI control over VT

Theoretically, with toasterscript you can have GPI trigger any kind of complex sequence you want. The examples we've seen have just been for simple taking DSK in and out and hitting auto, but that doesn't mean you can't have it do, well, anything. The only thing I'm confused about is, since you can only use GPI in the "switcher" module, how I can use that to control a DDR module. The "manual" isn't too clear on controlling other modules. I wish it were more of a Visual Basic style of language, I'm very comfortable with that, not so much with C. In my imaginary VB-like language, I'd be doing this:

Func OnGPI()

Switch(transtype){
case flyacross{
DDR1.Cue("flyacross.rtv")
}
case sparkle{
DDR1.Cue("sparkle.rtv")
}
else{
DDR1.Cue("brandwipe.rtv")
}
}

Switcher.Program(DDR1)
DDR1.Play()
Wait(DDR1.LengthOfClip())
Switcher.Program(Black)
DDR1.Stop()

EndFunc

Where transtype would be set in a custom module with pushbuttons for the different transition types I wanted.

Jim_C
11-15-2005, 07:08 AM
Broadcast to me means you can air it on TV. Hence the word "broadcast." 4 inputs and no ability to do a split key is not broadcast quality by any stretch of the term. If you had even bothered to read my posts you would have noticed that my needs are far, far beyond what you've posted.

Stephan,

What's up with the attitude? People are only trying to help and give you suggestions here. If you knew Jef, you would realize his experience goes well beyond '5 years of broadcast television'. In my opinion, if you are going to get along here, and continue to benefit from the best users group around, you need to drop the 'I am doing things that are over your head' demeanor.

Jim

ps. You're welcome for the link to the scripts.

PIZAZZ
11-15-2005, 09:25 AM
Broadcast to me means you can air it on TV. Hence the word "broadcast." 4 inputs and no ability to do a split key is not broadcast quality by any stretch of the term. If you had even bothered to read my posts you would have noticed that my needs are far, far beyond what you've posted. The switcher I'm using right now has 16 SDI inputs, 2 M/Es, 2 actual keyers (not just luminance and chroma key) per M/E, and 8 aux sends. I use half of the inputs, all of the aux sends, both keyers on P/P and one of the keyers on the M/E. Please don't tell me you expect me to be able to do what I do with what you just posted. I would max that switcher out with just my cameras, not to mention graphics, tape decks, and of course the VT.

In 5 years of working in professional broadcast television I've never seen anybody use MIDI for anything. That's from local news up to national sports. It's all P-Bus or machine control for the devices that speak them, and GPI for the ones that don't.

Close enough, it would be awesome if I could actually use the VT as an outboard DVE, but I've found that while it's perfectly happy transforming and warping video to its heart's content, getting it to output a matching key signal so I can key it on the main switcher is, shall we say, rather impossible.

I use it for several things, first, VT-scope is great for shading cameras, it's eliminated the need for an expensive waveform monitor. I use DDRs for video roll-ins and for animated lower-thirds and backgrounds, and I use the CG for, well, CG. While it perhaps doesn't work as well as several dedicated pieces of equipment, I have a very cramped control room and a relatively small budget and the VT works great for that.

Theoretically, with toasterscript you can have GPI trigger any kind of complex sequence you want. The examples we've seen have just been for simple taking DSK in and out and hitting auto, but that doesn't mean you can't have it do, well, anything. The only thing I'm confused about is, since you can only use GPI in the "switcher" module, how I can use that to control a DDR module. The "manual" isn't too clear on controlling other modules. I wish it were more of a Visual Basic style of language, I'm very comfortable with that, not so much with C. In my imaginary VB-like language, I'd be doing this:

Func OnGPI()

Switch(transtype){
case flyacross{
DDR1.Cue("flyacross.rtv")
}
case sparkle{
DDR1.Cue("sparkle.rtv")
}
else{
DDR1.Cue("brandwipe.rtv")
}
}

Switcher.Program(DDR1)
DDR1.Play()
Wait(DDR1.LengthOfClip())
Switcher.Program(Black)
DDR1.Stop()

EndFunc

Where transtype would be set in a custom module with pushbuttons for the different transition types I wanted.

Stephan,

No where in your post did you happen to mention the number of inputs needed or the format needed. If you had, then I would of refered you to something different. I am the one of the leading hackers of VT and love making it do things it wasn't designed for.

For what you asked about doing.... well I POSITIVELY know what can and can't be done by GPI. That is why I suggested using a MIDI protocol. I have the programers available to write what you need specifically.

I have a very cramped control room and a relatively small budget

This is exactly why I suggested the MIDI-VT plugin. It IS inexpensive and will allow you to talk directly to the modules independently. There is NO, repeat NO, other way to do it short of writing a specific C++ plugin yourself. (and good luck with that without the years and years of work we have put in with the VT) You can send keyboard shortcuts if you want to from a programmable keyboard but that will not be as reliable as the MIDI-VT plugin since it talks directly to the independent modules.

The only thing I'm confused about is, since you can only use GPI in the "switcher" module, how I can use that to control a DDR module.

That is my whole point. You can't do it. period. The only way to talk to directly to the DDR modules is via either Keyboard shortcuts (that can be unreliable at times) or via the MIDI-VT plugin.

From what you described at first you wanted to do then that is why I suggested the MIDI-VT plugin.

bbeanan
11-15-2005, 10:28 AM
You know for someone who started this thread with...
"Documentation for a newbie? Also, GPI"

You should try to be a bit nicer to those who try to help you. Jef knows more about the VT system than just about any other user that I know of. Chances are if you are nice to him he will figure out how to do exactlly what you need.
So I would say sorry to Jef about being so harsh and listen to him... he can and will help you out.

Not to mention harsh posts like this will stop others like myself from helping you (which I probably could since I built a HACK for the Tally and GPI output for interfacing with broadcast gear).

But hey I do not know where you are from and for all I know english may not be your main, so no harm no foul.

Anyway...
:thumbsup: Welcome to the VT Forums where we will all try our best to help you (if you are nice to us, since very few of us actually work for Newtek, we are users just like you)

Tod Cole
11-17-2005, 07:43 PM

Look elsewhere for something that is made in the "industry" for that application. Why would you try to rig up a VT with some hack to do what ACCOM or others do best? I would recommend you try to be nice to Jef or get some gaffers tape and do it yourself...