PDA

View Full Version : so where do i find current documentation?

Lightbringer
11-10-2005, 05:17 PM
i currently have a version 8 PDF, a version 8.3 addendum PDF, and the HTML documentation (opened via Help>Contents, if i choose Help>Web Based Help i just get dumped at the Lightwave 3D Web site).

the HTML documentation i have is thoroughly out of date, but gives no indication of which version it was released with.

is there a complete manual (PDF or HTML or whatever) for 8.5 available? is there an addendum? is there a way to update the HTML help?

Silkrooster
11-10-2005, 05:58 PM
Pressing F1 should bring you to the new flash version of the help file. As for the pdf, that probably won't be done until ver 9. I am guessing here, but I can't really see them bringing out a new manual until version 9 is completed. Which is probably why they created an addendum (which they have done for each point version so far).
Silk

Lightbringer
11-10-2005, 06:12 PM
urm... F1 don't do it. the Flash/HTML help is not current. i'm looking specifically at the PSD exporter. i had to check the 8.3 addendum PDF to find info on that.
there was an 8.5 feature (the 'free move' option for UV editing) that i can't find documentation for anywhere. is there an 8.5 pdf addendum? if so, where is it? i don't see it in the downloads section.

Silkrooster
11-10-2005, 06:52 PM
Log into your account(where you download the programs) Under the 32 bit section, the 8.5 addendum should be the third one on the list. The UV free move was introduced with version 8.2 and is on page 43 of the 8.5 addendum.
Edit: I am assuming the US website not the Europe site. If you have a European version of Lightwave, then pm BeeVee and he can help.
Silk

Lightbringer
11-11-2005, 09:33 AM
silly me. there it is. it just blended in with all the actual software updates. thanks. i guess i expected a giant 200x200 PDF icon. someday i'll learn to actaully read what's in front of me.

i'm a little confused by the existence HTML/Flash documentation. as it hasn't been updated along with the app, it has become much less useful (plus it has no index). are there any plans to keep the HTML/Flash help updated with the app in future? or is the PDF addendum scheme the documentation of choice?

Silkrooster
11-11-2005, 05:11 PM
You aren't the only one. I just noticed your location under your avatar.
I beleive the new help file is mostly to try out the new flash UI. I still heavily rely on the pdf over the help file. I find some parts contain not enough information. But I do like that they have the lscript in the help file, now if they can get it organized.
Silk

Lightbringer
11-11-2005, 08:07 PM
i don't envy them the task of writing documentation for Lightwave. it's certainly not the most rewarding part of developing software, but it is every bit as important as the app itself. it's nice to see that improvements are being made.

i gave up on an lscript project i had started some time ago because i couldn't find documentation. i was spending more time looking for docs than i was coding. perhaps i will dig into it again if the situation has improved.

Silkrooster
11-11-2005, 08:28 PM
I agree with ya there. The impression I got from Chuck is they are working very hard to get the new manual done for version 9. So I don't blame them for creating only updates for the point versions. I think it was their intentions that once a full version of the manual was printed that the end user could print the addendum and add those pages to the manual.

As for Lscript, I am waiting for the new book to come out, before I tackle it.
Silk