PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else having Screamernet woes with Tiger and 8.5?

intofx
11-10-2005, 12:23 PM
Just upgraded to 8.5 on a dual 2.0 g5 running 10.4.3 and what was once a very usable screamernet network is now useless. Currently, I can get the network to see most of the nodes most of the time but when the scene loads, the nodes crash (even on the host computer) one by one towards the end of each frame's render. This is particularly tiresome when the frames take 30 or so minutes a piece and you realize everything is dying that far down the road. I've deleted preferences, rebooted computers, did a rain dance and have now resorted to rendering half of each scene on two instances on one computer. This is KILLING me! Any suggestions?
Matt

UncleBob
11-10-2005, 03:26 PM
Hi

Rather than tear you hair out, try Render Farm Commander. http://www.brucerayne.com/renderfarm.html

there is a version available for 2 nodes for free, then you pay a small amount for more.

Only one small problem i have found so far, if you have set up a scene with cached shadow mapped lights, the nodes will not keep cached info, but instead recalculate shadow maps every frame. Think this is more of a problem with Newtek rather than RFC.

Its an excellent app, and tech support from Bruce is superb.

intofx
11-11-2005, 01:27 AM
My biggest problem is that I had it running fine but now it crashes constantly and consistantly. Yesterday=good, today=bad. I'd like to get it back to the way it was without using extra software... Thanks, tho...

Matt

Thomas
11-11-2005, 01:34 AM
Just wanted to second UncleBob's thoughts.

RenderFarm Commander is excellent. When I upgraded LW from 8.3 to 8.5 I took the time and organized my plug-ins (much needed!) and threw away a couple. In RFC simply select "Rebuild Work Directories" and you're done.

It can't get any easier than RFC. Period!

And the e-mail notification is excellent during the weekends... :)

Regards
Thomas

mike_stening
11-14-2005, 04:24 AM
just check in your scene file that some settings haavent changed, i did notice a few settings reverting and caused a few problems, not had to run a farm for a while but i did find that to stop nodes dropping off i had to make sure multi threading was off (1 thread per node) so save the scene as 1 thread in rendering. just check that the update hasn't changed this to the defult which is 2 i think.

marlo.steed
11-15-2005, 02:36 PM
I third the Render Farm Commander suggestion. That app has saved my hide more than once when I was under a deadline and had to get something rendered fast.

Johnny
11-15-2005, 03:40 PM
RFC is the way to go. I had a set up wtih LW 8.5, Tiger, and 2 dual 2ghz G5s, and RFC conducted screamernet sessions without issue.

J

sirius156
12-15-2006, 08:30 AM
il any anyone knoes how to handle the commandlines in rederfarm commander…
it will help