PDA

View Full Version : How about some pre-9 vids?

hrgiger
11-10-2005, 11:42 AM
Are we going to see some demos of the upcoming features of 9 anytime soon?

I would like to see edge weighting in Lightwave or ngons or even the new drawing routines in Layout.

jeremyhardin
11-10-2005, 12:22 PM
agreed. anything that hasn't been seen already would be very exciting.

w_will
11-10-2005, 12:44 PM
Still way to early for those kinds of vids. I would not expect to see something like that until Late Jan or early Feb. Maybe :santa: will prove me wrong, but I doubt it...

ACLOBO
11-10-2005, 01:13 PM
How about NO. Instead of using time and money to make videos of 9, they should fix all the probs with 8.5.

:cursin:

-Adrian

hrgiger
11-10-2005, 01:25 PM
Well considering that usually the person making the videos (proton) doesn't have much to do with the actual coding of the program, I don't see much of an issue there.

jeremyhardin
11-10-2005, 01:41 PM
i really don't mean to keep echoing hrgiger here ;) , but...

the time/money to make those videos would unlikely detract from the people coding. it's not like Mr. Newtek is there working away and would be distracted from making LW if he stopped to show us something.

Besides, we saw 8 stuff quite prior to it's release. Granted that wasn't entirely good, but 9 should be coming soon and we haven't seen a thing. The siggraph stuff was 8 with some rewritten parts if I remember right.

nthused
11-10-2005, 02:36 PM
Actually...I'd be happy with some Screen grabs...don't have time to look at a video anyway :)

spirit_of_stars
11-10-2005, 02:37 PM
When can we expect LW9????

Someone told me a the end of the day but I don't think so...

Any official date?

Ztreem
11-10-2005, 03:28 PM
Yeah! some videos or screenshots would be great! So I know what I have bought. :thumbsup:

connerh
11-10-2005, 06:47 PM
They've been saying around the end of 4th Q.

I'd also like to see some vids, but I'm sure we'll get them within a few more weeks, maybe sometime around the end of this month.

T-Light
11-11-2005, 02:05 AM
What I'd really like to see is LW9's own version of 3D painting in Layout. :D

Failing that (It's good to dream), a down to earth quicky on weight mapping in Layout would suffice.

Intuition
11-11-2005, 10:19 AM
Uh oh, the "When is Lw9" related threads have officially begun.

:devil:

T-Light, I can say that someone very near me (1 desk away) seems to have something that resembles LW9 and can paint those darned weight maps inside layout.

But it could be that I haven't had my coffee yet. SO don't quote me on that.

:thumbsup: :D

Wickster
11-11-2005, 10:32 AM
Uh oh, the "When is Lw9" related threads have officially begun.

:devil:

T-Light, I can say that someone very near me (1 desk away) seems to have something that resembles LW9 and can paint those darned weight maps inside layout.

But it could be that I haven't had my coffee yet. SO don't quote me on that.

QUOTED!!! :thumbsup:

Shall we start the countdown to [9] then? :D

I'd like to see some pre-9 vids as well, specially the edge implementations in modeler. Which I didn't see much at Siggraph.

Gettarobox
11-11-2005, 10:36 AM
I actually talked to a sales rep who told me 9 would be out probably at the end of december. :santa:

WilliamVaughan
11-11-2005, 11:03 AM
I'm sure we will have some 9.0 videos when the timing is right. :hey:

Vision1
11-11-2005, 11:50 AM
did someone notice the changes in the LightWave's Future list
if i remember correctly there was a line ehmm something like this:

there was a meeting where the programers saw each other for the first time.

and there was another:

some presentation with ron included and they say that the work flow wil change dramatically

why is that removed ?

jeremyhardin
11-11-2005, 12:19 PM
did someone notice the changes in the LightWave's Future list
if i remember correctly there was a line ehmm something like this:

there was a meeting where the programers saw each other for the first time.

and there was another:

some presentation with ron included and they say that the work flow wil change dramatically

why is that removed ?

this was taken from the letter from Jay Roth...
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/devupdate.php

Work has also progressed on LightWave 9.0, and we have several new additions to the development team that have really helped to round out our abilities. In fact, we just concluded a team meeting at our headquarters in San Antonio, and everyone on the team from all over the world came and worked side by side, with some meeting face-to-face for the first time. I have never seen a more excited group of engineers, all of them eager to work together to make LightWave shine.
It will change the way you use LightWave...

is this what you're looking for?

Vision1
11-11-2005, 12:24 PM
thanx yup that was where i was looking for :thumbsup:

lw3d23
11-11-2005, 12:27 PM
Not only LW, People start guessing which one will come out first, interesting
Pick the Correct Release Date Order (http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/topic.aspx?id=3911&page=0)

CB_3D
11-11-2005, 07:11 PM
LOL...letīs see how long this link survives. :D :D

-EsHrA-
11-12-2005, 05:50 AM
i feel the timing is right.

mlon

lw3d23
11-12-2005, 07:35 AM
i feel the timing is right.
mlon

I agree, unless LW9 cannot release in Q4....
Especially those core improvements, such as "Complete Re-implementation of Open GL","(NON_SHADER)Material Shader Node Graph", "N-gons ","Real" Edge, "Redesign of the Core Subdivision Surface Engine".,etc , we have not seen anything about these stuffs, even just a screenshot

we even don't know the complete feature list of LW9 so far.

StereoMike
11-12-2005, 08:21 AM
When can we expect LW9????
Someone told me a the end of the day but I don't think so...

You mean at the end of days, right?

spirit_of_stars
11-14-2005, 01:15 PM
Stereo Mike said.... You mean at the end of days, right?

sorry for the error.. lolololol

Many people around me said Newtek have problems and will not survive the next year.

I'm canadian and at Montreal Lightwave is a blacksheep. People do not consider lightwave as a real professional package...

jeremyhardin
11-14-2005, 01:23 PM

Many people around me said Newtek have problems and will not survive the next year.

I'm canadian and at Montreal Lightwave is a blacksheep. People do not consider lightwave as a real professional package...

not a real pro package eh? hmm. i suppose it's all a matter of opinion, but for the record, Pixar disagrees.

Our Technical Director interns generally have some or all of the following areas of experience:

* Linux or UNIX Operating System experience.
* Experience in programming using a language such as C or C++, or a scripting language such as Tcl, Sh, Python, or Perl.
* Experience using high-end 3D graphic packages, such as Maya, XSI, Lightwave.
* Education in some or all of: Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, and Art.
* An art background which shows a thorough understanding of physical motion, weight, balance, lighting, texture and form.

as quoted from Pixar's TD internship requirements here:
http://jobsearch.pixar.careers.monster.com/getjob.asp?JobID=36287091&AVSDM=2005%2D11%2D10+12%3A11%3A33&Logo=0&col=dlt&sort=rv&vw=b

hrgiger
11-14-2005, 01:39 PM

Just random people milling around you? Because most people around me today thought the weather was kind of nice but I'm not going to plan a picnic around it. Because idle chit chat from a bunch of armchair weathermen doesn't mean much.

Wickster
11-14-2005, 02:32 PM

Get used to that kind of attitude from users of different apps... I get that a lot around here, specially going to a school that uses Maya exclusively. It used to tick me off and ruin my day...then out of nowhere studios like Zoic and EdenFX comes out with an awesome LW project (i.e. Serenity) and shuts up those nay-sayers.

Just remember the slogan, "It's Everywhere" ... It actually is...whether we know it or not. Other apps just have a huge comapny (Avid, Autodesk...) behind them to finance their advertising blitz.

Wade
11-14-2005, 03:52 PM
The time right now is now right now at this moment! And right after this moment we will be back to being right now again. So right now seems to be a good time to see those vids. :beta:

"I'm sure we will have some 9.0 videos when the timing is right." - Mr. Proton not too long ago. :hat:

Verlon
11-14-2005, 04:01 PM
not a professional product?

Pfft.....that must be the french part of "French-Canadian." j/k

Seriously, look at the results that people are getting. Or compare it to the comparably priced trueSpace.

Just because it doesn't cost as much doesn't mean its second rate. I always thought 3D Studio was the '2nd tier' since it didn't even include a raytracer in the box (does it even now?).

If you look through the gallery, you will see many professional quality results. If you look through the profiles, you will see many professional people using the software. If you look through the forums, you will find many people predicting 'the end is near' for pretty much anything.

At least Lightwave isn't the one being bought by autodesk *cough* alias *cough*

Z_Render_8
11-14-2005, 05:13 PM

I remembered hearing this from other 3d users during the days of LW 7. **Cough** Well LW is still here and v9 is around the corner very soon.

Lightwave not professional? **Cough** TIme to go, good day.

:lwicon:

colkai
11-15-2005, 02:51 AM
I remembered hearing this from other 3d users during the days of LW 7. **Cough** Well LW is still here and v9 is around the corner very soon.
Hehe LW7? - nah - look back far enough and you'll find the same old story even as far back as LW5.0 :p
If it's good enough for Pixar, Zoic and EdenFX, it's good enough for me! ;)

Red_Oddity
11-15-2005, 04:23 AM

Yes, and the same has been said about Maya and Max with Alias Autodesk/Discreet take over...but i sure as **** won't put any money it...
And besides, LW8 works for me right now, as it will still do from a year from now (i have been working like what? 2 years in 5.6? never complained)

SaturnX
11-15-2005, 05:49 AM
Where are my ngons !
Give them to me... NOW !

.. :help:

Intuition
11-15-2005, 10:02 AM
I keep hearing the "sky is falling" argument for Newtek and Lightwave all the time.

I seem to remember this starting shortly after 5.0-5.5.

I still have yet to see LW demise.

I must say that after F-Prime came out it was even more of a solid contender.

Many users of other software that also use Lightwave concede defeat when F-Prime is brought into the equation. Even if you only use F-Prime as a previewer.

Somehow I don't think 9 will be enough for people's expectations while the rest of us will always enjoy the new things. 64bit is the last step in my want list since the memory wall is really the only thing holding me back as of late.

Every other modeling, animating, rendering need is handled very well by Lightwave and its plug in base.

I have supplemented LW with

z-brush - Organic modeling
modo - Tech modeling
particle illusion - quick particle effects
adobe after effects - Comp work like adding occlusion passes
world builder - quick environments I import into LW
fusion - COMP magic!
maxwell render - photoreal stills until they get a better networkrender.

I also use all of Worleys plug ins.

f-prime - DUH!
sas - fur grass, etc
G2 - SSS, awesome frsnel
polk - long list
taft - long list

SSS add ons

ogo hikari
chanlum
G2 <-worley

Relativity 2.0 for rigging and animating characters.

I use Maya for making Cloud scenes. Oh I do like mayas fur previewer. Very nice.

Yet even with this amount of supplements I still get most of my tasks done very well inside of Lightwave.

spirit_of_stars
11-15-2005, 11:06 AM
Verlon I hope you don't have anything again French people... :(

Personnally I prefere Lightwave. And if you wanna know, the half of the compagny here speak in english. I just repeate what people said around me...

Few weeke ago I have show to my boss, I can do things faster in LW than in XSI (huge landscapes, ocean, explosions, etc...) They have been surprise about the quality and speed.

Some poeple said, I have raise up the quality. The other one juste talk about Lightwave bugs and lacks. Here people are dedicated to XSI... or 3DSMax

Long live to Newtek!

coremi
11-15-2005, 12:06 PM
first time i saw this i could not belive it.

http://www.evasion3d.com/about_us.html

this is available before they ported the plugins for Mental ray, it was X-Dof for 3DS Max and all others for Lightwave, and look who bought the plugins :)

A lot of Big studios are still using Lightwave for diferent things, just there is no money to pay them to scream "we're also using Lightwave 3D from Newtek" :)

Verlon
11-15-2005, 04:31 PM
no, nothing against the French people. The j/k part means just kidding...making a joke. I was sort of quoting a movie (one free electron to whoever names the movie).

One great truth is that no matter how good something is, there are people out there who hate it. Lightwave, Max, XSI, sex...you name it. Someone somewhere hates it.

Whatever application they are using has shortcomings, too. Like you said, there are certain things you can do very quickly in Lightwave. As long as you are able to do your work at quality levels that keep you employed, it must be good enough.

As long as you can work as fast as your competitors, you must be fast enough. When your customer says, "I want a huge landscape," the truth is that he doesn't really care what application it is made in as long as it looks good and is delivered on time. If you like doing it in Lightwave over Max, or even Notepad, then that application is fine for your purposes.

There are plenty of people who can't stand this or that about Lightwave while others feel nothing but contempt for other applications that do not have said feature. Take for instance the separate modeler and layout. Many hate it while others insist its the only way to go.

I actually do not like it, but still prefer Lightwave.

Don't let what the other people think bother you. Don't let their attitude keep you from learning the value of their applications either. If Maya is better for your next project, by all means use Maya (not that *I* could imagine a situation where it would be, but one must maintain an open mind).

Wickster
11-15-2005, 04:49 PM

A lot of Big studios are still using Lightwave for diferent things, just there is no money to pay them to scream "we're also using Lightwave 3D from Newtek" :)
Exactly! A company could just use maya to animate one single null (or 'Locator' as they call it) and that comapny would proudly say "We used maya for our work."

We may no hear about all the things that Lightwave does for the industry but I believe that they are all there.

So....Bring on those [9] vids!

Chris S. (Fez)
11-16-2005, 10:00 AM
Soooooo...is Newtek still on target for a Q4 release of LW 9?

hrgiger
11-16-2005, 10:10 AM
Soooooo...is Newtek still on target for a Q4 release of LW 9?

Chuck has stated that yes, the plan is for Lightwave v9 to be released by the end of fourth quarter, but reminded us that this is only an ESTIMATE. So to answer your question, we have no idea.

Chris S. (Fez)
11-16-2005, 10:38 AM
OK. Thanks.

Did you pre-order, HR? I swore I would never pre-order again, but with a little peer pressure, I might make a liar of myself and purchase that VUE upgrade package.

hrgiger
11-16-2005, 11:18 AM
Yeah, I pre-ordered back in August I believe. I wasn't sure after 8 that I would pre-order again either but the feature list for 9 has enough of the things that I feel have been lacking in Lightwave.
Now we (meaning you and I being the biggest supporters of this) just have to push Newtek to make sure that the modeling core being brought into Layout will allow us to smartskin our joints.

CB_3D
11-16-2005, 02:10 PM
Now we (meaning you and I being the biggest supporters of this) just have to push Newtek to make sure that the modeling core being brought into Layout will allow us to smartskin our joints.

Can already be done right now.

You should say "smartskin in an EFFECTIVE and EASY way".

hrgiger
11-16-2005, 02:14 PM
How about "smartskin in a way that doesn't make me want to punch holes in the walls".

Chris S. (Fez)
11-16-2005, 02:54 PM
How about "smartskin in a way that doesn't make me want to punch holes in the walls".

Ha! :agree:

GraphXs
11-16-2005, 03:44 PM
Give me some videos that show what modeling tools are in layout. Can they be keyframed?

I hope Q4 is still on target, it will be a fun Christmas. :D

Red_Oddity
11-16-2005, 03:47 PM

LOL, why does that sound sooooo familiar

papou
11-16-2005, 04:45 PM
...I hope Q4 is still on target, it will be a fun Christmas. :D

This one, look more familiar to me! :D

riki
11-16-2005, 05:53 PM
It's nice to see that some things never change, but let me be the first to say:

"where's 9.5?"
"they need to fix the bugs in 9.2 first dude"
"newtek won't survive 2007"
"what happened to 9.3, I'm still waiting for 9.3"

"where's 10.5?"
"they need to fix the bugs in 10.2 first dude"
"newtek won't survive 2008"
"what happened to 10.3, I'm still waiting for 10.3"

:p

jeremyhardin
11-16-2005, 06:40 PM
haha!! that's freaking hilarious.

kcole
11-16-2005, 06:57 PM
I'm sure we will have some 9.0 videos when the timing is right. :hey:
*Checks timing*

OMG! It's right! Gogo videos!

Intuition
11-16-2005, 09:27 PM
Give me some videos that show what modeling tools are in layout. Can they be keyframed?

I hope Q4 is still on target, it will be a fun Christmas. :D

I thought Quake 4 was already out?

colkai
11-17-2005, 02:34 AM
Riki:
ROTFL - excellent. I think you should bookmark this thread so we can reference in when LW9.5 and LWX is released! :p ;)

Verlon
11-17-2005, 06:07 AM
Along the lines of Rikki's post, Newtek should make some auto lines.

They would be sort of like smilies for the negative people.

:WontLast = Newtek won't make it through [next year]

:NextPatch = Where is [version].5

:BugFix = Dude, they have to fix the bugs in [CurrentVersion] first

:Whine = [Current list of all Major 3D applications] is much more betterest than Lightwave

:Modo = You guys are all going the way of the dinosaur when the next version of Modo comes out

:decaf = OMGIneedthefeaturesinthenewlightwavewhenareyouguys goingtofinallyreleaseitOMGits27minutesafterthedate postedwherisitwhereisiwhereisit

Think of all the bandwidth we could save.

Speaking of which....

:decaf

Verlon
11-17-2005, 06:12 AM
intersting, there shouldn't be a space in ;decaf. There wasn't when I typed it, and I editted it to be sure....

what's up with that?

DogBoy
11-17-2005, 06:18 AM
:BugFix = Dude, they have to fix the bugs in [:decaf] first :hey:

StereoMike
11-17-2005, 05:18 PM
:decaf

downside is, you have to use at leat 10 characters....

theo
11-17-2005, 05:41 PM
I, too, want a ton of Pro vids. :thumbsup:

hrgiger
11-17-2005, 07:30 PM
What about some "making of" or "behind the scenes of" the making of the Lightwave 9 vids?

theo
11-17-2005, 07:46 PM
What about some "making of" or "behind the scenes of" the making of the Lightwave 9 vids?

How about some "making of" or "behind the scenes of" the making of the "making of" or "behind the scenes of" Lightwave 9 vids?

Or better yet even and sooo much more marketable:

How about some "making of" or "behind the scenes of" the making of the "making of" or "behind the scenes of" the making of the "making of" or "behind the scenes of" Lightwave 9 vids?

Pronto Proton or we shall be forced to send in Tonto.

God it's been a long day here in eternity......what is happening to me?!!! :alien: :alien:

spirit_of_stars
11-17-2005, 07:50 PM
I have to show to my co-workers what Riki said... lololol

Long live to Newtek