PDA

View Full Version : Baking Specularity?

lt_ethe
02-15-2003, 08:20 PM
Is it possible to bake specularity, reflection, glossiness, bumps to a texture map? I've only been successful in baking color and global illumination...

I'm pretty sure it's possible, but my fiddling around for the past several hours has produced nothing.

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

ingo
02-16-2003, 02:24 AM
Sadly its not possible, i have no clue why. This would be a nice option though.

Lamont
02-16-2003, 11:27 AM
The reason you can't bake specularity, bump, gloss and reflection is because these things are angle based properties.

To bake bump, move it to the color channel.

lt_ethe
02-16-2003, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the info all, now I can stop chasing the rainbow.

Lamont, you said to move the bump to the color channel? Does that mean just copy/paste the layer properties of the bump channel to the color channel? I tried that, and the results were not what I expected.

Thanks again.

Lamont
02-16-2003, 11:39 AM
Oh!! I forgot that you should add a gradient so it will give height values...

lt_ethe
02-16-2003, 11:45 AM
That's the ticket.

Thanks for your help.

Good candidate for a short tutorial. What would you like me to put in the credits Lamont?

Lamont
02-16-2003, 11:47 AM
Haha!! If you want to... I'm glad to pass along the info, that's what it's all about.

lt_ethe
02-16-2003, 11:50 AM
I intend to shortly.

Spreading the knowledge is what it's all about, and I don't remember seeing a tutorial for baking bumpmaps anywhere, so might as well.

I'm inclined to credit any who help, so if you'd like to give your name/email/website here, that'd be fine.

Otherwise, you can email the info to [email protected] I'll let you know when the tutorial goes up and where.

ingo
02-16-2003, 01:19 PM
>>The reason you can't bake specularity, bump, gloss and reflection is because these things are angle based properties

Thats no reason, thats just an excuse. In a Quicktime VR Panorama you can see how well it works. The human eye is a little lazy, and the brain, well it has other things to do ;)

Lamont
02-16-2003, 01:52 PM
Thats no reason, thats just an excuse. In a Quicktime VR Panorama you can see how well it works. The human eye is a little lazy, and the brain, well it has other things to do
In a Quicktime VR Panarama, you are the center. You don't move around and through the object.

If you could bake in specularity, you'd get a hot streak across the surface, and my guess is that is something you don't want.

ingo
02-16-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Lamont
In a Quicktime VR Panarama, you are the center. You don't move around and through the object.

If you could bake in specularity, you'd get a hot streak across the surface, and my guess is that is something you don't want.

Well youre right, but the incidence angle changes and so the reflections. And since i use specular rarely for materials its nothing i have to worry about.

Bat_Thumb
07-08-2005, 11:05 AM
To bake specularity add a gradient to your color, put the bottom of the gradient white and the top white with an alpha value of 0%. Then change the gradients input parameter to Light Incidence, and set it to whatever Light you have in your scene. Then its just a matter of adjusting the gradient to your likeing. It even gets effected by bump maps and outputs pretty good results.

dickagm
05-15-2006, 05:15 AM
Hi all, it's little later to ask a question here but I'm working on industrial set of many-many objects and I want to bake it. Everything was pretty seted for bake when I realized that there is no SPECULARITY :(( , 120 lights (because they are actualy apearing in the set like local light sources) and on most materials I have alot of specularity and bump textures on most of the surfaces.
is there some plugin that does surface baking with all fetures like the other softwares can bake?