PDA

View Full Version : surface baker problems

gazmon
11-10-2005, 04:00 AM
EDIT- ignore this it was my impatience- even though the mac said application not responding I just left it going in the background and it made it!!
Im trying to bake the surfaces of a room Im working on. Works fine with a resolution of 512 but I need a much higher res for the detail and its not working at 1024 or above (i really want it to be about 5000)
I just get nothing but the spinning wheel after hours and the finder says application not responding.
Im on a dual G5 2gig ram.
Any ideas?

toby
11-10-2005, 09:09 PM
That's just how slow surface baker is. You can speed it up by turning off anti-aliasing, shading noise reduction, or rendering smaller parts of the room into different maps.

gazmon
11-11-2005, 02:24 AM
thanks, I'm going down the seperate maps route, this is the first time Ive used surface baker, thought Id give it a try as Im trying to do an animation in a room but the room takes over an hour to render so thought SB is the way to go. Wierd though is the maps produced are streaky where the lights and shadows are. I never used shading noise reduction or antialiasing.
Any ideas whats causing this. The room rendered without surface baker looks fine.

toby
11-11-2005, 05:56 PM
The only thing I can think of without seeing more is to make sure you're applying the baked map with the same uv map that you baked it with -

Weepul
11-13-2005, 01:51 AM
Are you using area lights? In the little amount I've used Surface Baker, I've found that area lights aren't rendered the same way by SB as in a normal render - no noise, but banded illumination.

Although I could be wrong, I believe it picks random sample locations once for the entire baked surface, rather than random sample locations for every pixel as happens in a LW render.

gazmon
11-16-2005, 12:23 PM
thank weepul
I do have area lights so I hope your right!! its been bugging me for ages. I'll experiment with spot lights and see if that helps.
cheers
Gary