PDA

View Full Version : Male torso modelling help.

instinkt900
11-09-2005, 11:15 PM
Okay, I'm in the process of modelling a character. I found a nice character modelling tutorial over at http://www.puffandlarkin.com/lightwave/tutorials/character_modelling/ which I have followed the relevant parts however I have now reached the point where I'm wanting to veer off and make the modifications to make it look less like the tutorial and more like the character I have in mind.

It's not going too bad however I'm having a bit of trouble adding in the stomach muscles. I can't seem to get the polyflow right and I'm hoping some people could steer me in the right direction. I've had a look around for other tutorials and done a search on this forum but the only decent torso modelling tutorials or examples are female characters. (I think its a sign that most modellers are male ;)

I've attached a pic of what I have so far (obviously the hands are actual just place holders.) I'm just wondering if people know of some good tutorials, or if they have some wireframes they can show me. I just really need an idea of how to get the polyflow.

Oh and before I forget, I'm planning to make the character almost supernaturally beefy. I'm going for a large built body, but not super high defined like a body builder.

Anyway. Thanks in advance.

Dodgy
11-10-2005, 03:37 AM
Well here's my wireframe, it's a little more complex, but you get the idea....

New2Lw
11-10-2005, 04:07 AM
I'd have to agree with what dodgy kind of implies in his post. You just don't have enough geometry to get much out of his lower torso.

Here's one of my junky wireframes :)

http://www.new2lw.com/Gallery/Fishman/wiresFishman01.jpg

instinkt900
11-10-2005, 04:53 AM
Yeah, I'm aware that there is little geometry here and I know I need to add more. That is the issue I'm having, I'm having trouble trying to figure out where the geometry should go. I've been doing bandsawing and bandgluing, smooth shifting and externdering and sometimes I start getting somewhere then end up going back. I always end up back to the basic shape I have now. What I was hoping for was some wireframes of the abdomen area just to get an idea of how it is going to work and that is what you guys have given me. Thanx :)

Still, if anyone knows some good detailed character modelling tutes then please let me know. I remember a while ago I had a good link to a character modelling tute that I used for some arms but I've lost it. So I know they're out there, just having more trouble finding them than I thought I would.

Again, thanx guys.

instinkt900
11-10-2005, 07:28 AM
While I'm here...

I've been toying around trying to learn what I can while I'm doing this and I've come across this situation a few times now and to get around it I've done a lot of polygon deletion and rebuilding manually. Now I'm sure there has to be a better way.

Hopefully the image is pretty straight forward, I want to split some polys and create a new column of polys. Of course I want to do the same on the other side, whether by using symmetry or the mirror tool, so the basic question is, what is the best way to do this? Anyone?

Dodgy
11-10-2005, 09:36 AM
I tend to use edgetool for this, with a % snap of 10 percent. This gives you enough variation to get the cut you want, but also allows you to match your cuts on the other side. It would be great if this was a symmetry enabled tool though...