PDA

View Full Version : My take at a procedural landscape

younglion
11-09-2005, 08:22 PM
Hey everyone,
I was messing around trying to make a landscape using procedurals for the displacement, and here is what I came up with. Let me know what you think. :thumbsup:

starbase1
11-10-2005, 05:17 AM
Not at all bad - In fact, rather good. But I think your ringed planet is a bit too bright to be convincing.

Nick

mattclary
11-10-2005, 12:49 PM
Is that from LW 7.5 Applied? Good job!

Mebek
11-10-2005, 01:26 PM
Looks awesome!

Two things I noticed: first, I can see the polygons in the ringed planet, both the planet and the rings.

Second, there are places in the shadows that are receiving sunlight, when they really should not be. I've had this happen too, and it's a problem with the diffuse falloff. If it's not already, make the landscape surface double-sided. That should clear those little unnatural highlights. (It's a problem with the render engine itself that I've tried several times to explain but it seems no one gets it or no one cares.)

I love the texture though, very nice. What tutorial (if any) were you following?

loki74
11-10-2005, 01:32 PM
looks pretty good.

All I would say is that it would probably look nice with sasquatch and some trees in there or something. The grass as it is now looks rather flat, esp along that transition.

younglion
11-10-2005, 07:20 PM
Hey thanks for all the feedback.
I didn't follow any tutorial for this one (except the planet in the background, yes lightwave applied 6.5 book :thumbsup: ). I was just trying to attempt a realistic landscape, but I know that I still have a ways to go.

And to loki74: I was wanting to put some grass on here but all I have is saslite and I haven't had much success with it on things like this. I can't seem to control it too well. I also wanted to put some trees or some foilage in it but it would just get to polygon heavy. I just haven't messed with making trees too much so I don't know what's the best way to do that.

Thanks again for your replies. It's encouraging! :D

bobakabob
11-17-2005, 09:34 AM
Younglion,

That's great work. Could you give us Wavers some tips on the procedural settings you created the vegetation with? It's very well done.

Cheers,

Bob

younglion
11-17-2005, 08:03 PM
Thanks Bob,
Well as far as deforming the main shape of the land I basically set two morph targets (I think) for my groundplane, one at 0m and one at around 5m (on the y axis), and I used the Airbrush set to affect the morphs and basically airbrushed the base of the mountains on. (I found this technique somewhere on the web I think, but I can't remember where). Then I just set a procedural for the rest of the deforming and details, and then I just used a couple of image maps for the textures and bump maps. So I guess looking at it I kinda lied with my original title of this thread....but hey I did use procedurals! :hey:

Top Cat
11-19-2005, 12:04 PM
Not at all bad - In fact, rather good. But I think your ringed planet is a bit too bright to be convincing.

Nick
Well maybe it's on a different planet! :D