PDA

View Full Version : OT: using stock footage

starbase1
11-09-2005, 08:06 AM
Hi All, this is not directly lightwave, but I strongly suspect it will be of interest to others.

There's tons of freely downloadable video at places like the Internet Moving Images Archive (http://www.archive.org,), but there's so much info in the FAQ's I'm left pretty clueless about what I can do with it.

Having seen stuff in their that was built from reused clips on the site, I had thought that you must be able to do pretty much what you liked with it. Certainly this seemed very reasonable for things like old public information films, NASA footage, and ancient adverts.

And it could be very handy too, you can put it on your CGI television, use it as a background, whatever.

But then I noticed some things in there that I rather thought might not be usable in this way. Specifically they have some very old Superman cartoons - and that is presumably trademarked as well as copyrighted. Or the Eminem 'Mosh' as a more recent example. My gut feeling is that if I start mucking about with this kind of thing and republishing it, I could be in trouble legally.

Now I'm actually a lot more interested in the old Superman stuff and NASA films, though I could have a lot of fun with some of the black and white horror films they have online...

Can anyone educate me? Exactly what should I look for in terms of copyright / public domain / creative commons if I want to use this stuff as input for my own projects?

Nick

MonroePoteet
11-09-2005, 10:16 AM
From their Internet Archive's Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Copyright Policy:

In particular, you certify that your use of any part of the Archive's Collections will be noncommercial and will be limited to noninfringing or fair use under copyright law.

Check out my post in this thread:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=40891

mTp

starbase1
11-09-2005, 12:07 PM
Thanks for that, I got lost in the flood of information provided...

Though I'm still not sure that covers everything. Surely some of this stuff, as mentioned above, is useable?

Nick

Bytehawk
11-09-2005, 12:16 PM
just a quick sidenote about using stock footage or photography :

I used to really like this, it's fast, easy to find etc....
BUT consider this : If you use it for a commercial purpose, especially when 'branding' a company or product, your competitors can take that image and use it (against you) as well. I had this happen to me and since then rely solely on my own photo's and work.