PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Mountain Landscape

WilliamVaughan
11-08-2005, 09:16 PM
Creating a Mountain Landscape
Model/Surface/Render
By Marcus Carra

This video tutorial will walk you through the creation of a mountain range. Learn the steps to model and surface a detailed mountain range starting from nothing and ending with a finished render.

Click Here for Tutorial (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/alpen_tutorial.avi)

Length: 35 min
Size:86 mb

Big thanx to Marcus for this killer tutorial!

Captain Obvious
11-08-2005, 09:42 PM
The link seems to be faulty (some board code garble). This one works better.
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/alpen_tutorial.avi

Either way, I'm downloading it. Thanks! :)

Edit: heh, so you fixed it before I even had time to press "submit reply." :thumbsup:

Demon
11-09-2005, 01:09 AM
hi all,

i hope u all dont know everything i am talking about in that tut. for some this link might be usefull as i used the xvid codec to keep the size at a downloadable size. here is the link:

http://download.divxmovies.com/XviD-1.0.3-20122004.exe

i hope that makes it work for all.

P.S.: sorry for the stuttering sometimes, but i was so focused on the technique that i sometimes forgot some words in english. But i hope it is understandable :)

thx for ur understanding

Silkrooster
11-09-2005, 02:13 AM
Wow, great job. It had never occured to me to create clouds like that. There is a lot of valuble information in that tutorial. Anyone who wants to learn more about texturing, this is it.
Silk

Demon
11-09-2005, 02:33 AM
thx a lot silk,

u name the clouds and i am affraid i forgott one layer of clouds, that makes them look more "bumped". If u copy another procedural layer to the clouds with a higher smallpower value and the colour a bit greyish u reach the impression of bumpy clouds... i wanted to add that lil thing but i forgot... my appologies.

i am glad someone found it usefull, so it was worth the hazzel :) :thumbsup:

MooseDog
11-09-2005, 07:32 AM
so it was worth the hazzel

more than worth it :thumbsup: lots of great stuff presented here, and well made as well! congrats.

mattclary
11-09-2005, 07:43 AM
Awesome! Can't wait to watch it!

Demon
11-09-2005, 08:41 AM
thx guys :)

well that encourages me to do more tuts. :) i have some ideas still in the drawer.

cheers,

Demon

Earl
11-09-2005, 09:19 AM
The tutorial is very well made! It amazes me how some people are so generous with their time and talent to give gems like this away to the community for free. Thanks a lot! :)

Tiger
11-09-2005, 09:49 AM
Great tutorial! Downloaded and saved!
Easy to follow also :thumbsup:
Thanks!

prospector
11-09-2005, 10:42 AM
don't work for me :devil:

Demon
11-09-2005, 10:43 AM
@all

Prospector Lieeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssss Lol :D

He was the my betatester. So everything which is wrong in the tut, its his fault. :D Coz he didnt tell me to change things ;)

Lightbringer
11-09-2005, 11:13 AM
there was indeed some good material in that tutorial, and many techniques i want to try for myself.

however, there was no need for it to be 35 minutes long. the pacing was truly geological. i understand you don't want to confuse people by going too fast, but this tutorial is more likely to lose people due to boredom.

perhaps i am just impatient, but it seems like setting up a displaced plane, a surface of procedural textures, a procudural backdrop, and a couple of spotlights shouldn't take that long to explain. i'd rather see it in 5 minutes and spend 30 minutes trying it out for myself.

still, i'm glad i watched it, and i'm looking forward to finding some time to test drive these techniques.

mattclary
11-09-2005, 11:38 AM
I watched the first 1/4 (without sound, at the office) and actually found myself being able to follow what was being done and knowing where things were going before they got there for the most part, but that is PERFECT for beginners IMO. I would much rather have too much detail than not enough. If you are bored, it probably means you didn't need it to begin with.

Excellent work, Demon!

Demon
11-09-2005, 12:34 PM
there was indeed some good material in that tutorial, and many techniques i want to try for myself.

however, there was no need for it to be 35 minutes long. the pacing was truly geological. i understand you don't want to confuse people by going too fast, but this tutorial is more likely to lose people due to boredom.

i am sorry to hear that. well i didnt want to bore ppl out of their mind. that tut was made for beginners and not for experts or semi-experts. :)

perhaps i am just impatient, but it seems like setting up a displaced plane, a surface of procedural textures, a procudural backdrop, and a couple of spotlights shouldn't take that long to explain. i'd rather see it in 5 minutes and spend 30 minutes trying it out for myself.

well i could have done it in even 2 mins i gues with just saying: set up 2 lights, make a displaced plane and add procedurals to the color and bump channel. Add some procedural textures to the text environment. At the end hit F9. The END ... but thats not a tutorial and walk through. I'd call that a fly-by or rush-by.
Well it would be intersting to see the results then ;) Unfortunatly i cant serve the taste of all.

still, i'm glad i watched it, and i'm looking forward to finding some time to test drive these techniques.

show us ur results when ur done :) looking forward to see that.

cheers,

Demon

Demon
11-09-2005, 12:35 PM
I watched the first 1/4 (without sound, at the office) and actually found myself being able to follow what was being done and knowing where things were going before they got there for the most part, but that is PERFECT for beginners IMO. I would much rather have too much detail than not enough. If you are bored, it probably means you didn't need it to begin with.

Excellent work, Demon!

Thx mate :thumbsup:

Meaty
11-09-2005, 02:50 PM
Great tutorial mate! Thanks for sharing this technique with the community!

Fizzer
11-09-2005, 04:13 PM
Although I have done Mountain/Landscapes in the past, it is always interesting to see how others apply different techniques to the same task.
The beauty of Lightwave is that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Thank you very much for letting me see your methods. A very excellent piece of work.

Demon
11-09-2005, 04:17 PM
Although I have done Mountain/Landscapes in the past, it is always interesting to see how others apply different techniques to the same task.
The beauty of Lightwave is that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Thank you very much for letting me see your methods. A very excellent piece of work.

Thx a lot :)) same to you! Mind sharing ur way to the mountains? would love to see that...

cheers,

Demon

harlan
11-09-2005, 04:59 PM
Great tutorial my friend... thanks for sharing it. Keep 'em coming. :)

AbnRanger
11-09-2005, 10:50 PM
Any chance someone can create one on thick volumous clouds done with just particles and hypervoxels?

Thanks for the tutorial. Very nice of you to take the time.

I don't see what the point is in saying someone took too long to cover the material of a given tutorial...everyone has a unique personality and style. Some use humor; some don't. Some tell the viewer what short-cut keys they are using. Others don't, and make the viewer figure it out on their own, or assume they already know.
Personally, I don't see the point, either, in the videos that are time-lapsed, silent, or rushed. The objective is not to show others how wickedly-fast you think you are. The aim is to teach others the "how" and "why." Yet at a pace where the average user can absorb it.
Case in point: I have a DVD of Allan McKay's on Advanced Particle Effects in 3ds Max. I like his work, but you have to down a few extra expresso's just to keep up with the guy. I'd have to stop and go back repeatedly since he teaches like he works...at warp speed.
Conversely, guys like Larry Shultz and Proton do a great job of keeping an unhurried, but steady pace in their video tutorials.

Demon
11-10-2005, 12:55 AM
Any chance someone can create one on thick volumous clouds done with just particles and hypervoxels?

Thanks for the tutorial. Very nice of you to take the time.

I don't see what the point is in saying someone took too long to cover the material of a given tutorial...everyone has a unique personality and style. Some use humor; some don't. Some tell the viewer what short-cut keys they are using. Others don't, and make the viewer figure it out on their own, or assume they already know.
Personally, I don't see the point in the videos that are time-lapsed, silent, or rushed. The objective is not to show others how wickedly-fast you think you are. The aim is to teach others the "how" and "why." Yet at a pace where the average user can absorb it. Point in case: I have a DVD of Allan McKay's on Advanced Particle Effects in 3ds Max. I like his work, but you have to down a few extra expresso's just to keep up with the guy. I'd have to stop and go back repeatedly since he teaches like he works...at warp speed.
Conversely, guys like Larry Shultz and Proton do a great job of keeping an unhurried, but steady pace in their video tutorials.

Thx for that nice statement! U speak out of my heart :thumbsup: :agree:
on the other hand i should face the fact, that i can't serve the taste of all. But, as long as noone was lying in here, 95% of the ppl watching the tut liked it. And for those it was my pleasure to invest all that time of redoing scenes, coz i forgot my text :D and then going to edit and cutting stuff. So there is always someone who dislikes my style. But as u mentioned before, thats my style. Next time i'll try to keep the MB's low. I just wanted to use LWs power to demonstrate the procedure of making a mountainchain and NOT using any fancy plugs like Ozone or terraformer like Vue to accomplish that within 5 mins. As Fizzer mentioned there are several approaches to start with. If someone has other Ideas of achieving that result i would be more then pleased to have a look at it. Its fascenating to see other Wavers doing their job. I for myself could sit next to Proton and watch him for hours, no for weeks playing with LW. There is so much still to discover in LW even for the pros that i wished we would see more video tuts. Thx for ur attention... :thumbsup:

My 2 credits

cheers,

Demon

Hoopti
11-11-2005, 07:40 PM
Just watched it, great tut, keep them coming.

Hoop

Willax
11-11-2005, 08:00 PM
Very nice tut, thanks. Easy to follow, and I liked the results too. One question about the displaced object. When you save the object as a transformed object it creates triangles. Is there a way to save it as a quad based subd?

Willax

adrian
11-14-2005, 03:44 AM

Mark Dunakin created a tut for this. Go to his site at:

http://www.md-arts.com/

and go to the tutorials section and the HV-cloud one.

Adrian.

monfoodoo
11-14-2005, 11:16 AM
Great tut! for people who don't do alot of landscapes,it's excellent. Whats your Web site.i didn,t catch it at the end? scott

Verlon
11-14-2005, 05:07 PM
ok, what am I doing wrong. I know its some obvious setting that I am overlooking, but I can't remember what it is. Why do my mountains turn transparent when the camera gets anywhere near them?

AbnRanger
11-15-2005, 05:36 AM
Mark Dunakin created a tut for this. Go to his site at:

http://www.md-arts.com/

and go to the tutorials section and the HV-cloud one.

Adrian.
thanks for the tip :D

mattclary
11-15-2005, 06:16 AM
ok, what am I doing wrong. I know its some obvious setting that I am overlooking, but I can't remember what it is. Why do my mountains turn transparent when the camera gets anywhere near them?

Fixed Near Clip Distance under display properties. Adjusting grid size might work too.

Verlon
11-15-2005, 07:56 AM
Thanks Matt! It was driving me bonkers!

mattclary
11-15-2005, 08:07 AM
No problemo.

Demon
11-17-2005, 08:35 AM
i am still waiting to see that other technique of creating a landscape by Fizzer. Would be cool to get to know that technique as well.

cheers,

Demon

BWAutosport
04-27-2006, 04:36 PM
Hello, I'm new here, so please excuse the renewing of a thread that's been dead almost a year...

Whilst working through this tut, I'm noticing that my renders are coming out very jagged. I have smoothing turned on, and it helps a little bit, but I'm still getting quite a few jagged peak to my work, and it's not just a mountain peak that's sharp.

It's quite frustrating, as I'm just starting with the software, and I can't figure this out.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Ian
On my way over to the introductions forum....

Captain Obvious
04-27-2006, 05:09 PM
Camera properties, turn on anti-aliasing.

Then read the manual. ;)

BWAutosport
04-28-2006, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the reply, I am in the process of acquiring a manual...the beauty of Univ. provided software is, there is no manual. And the one in existence is guarded by a troll with questions three. :bangwall:

I picked up a few books that read like a manual, so hoping that will help me along as well.

Cheers!

Ian

dx394b
10-06-2007, 11:51 AM
Thankyou for the tutorial. I found it usefull.

StevieB
10-07-2007, 03:29 PM
i am sorry to hear that. well i didnt want to bore ppl out of their mind. that tut was made for beginners and not for experts or semi-experts. :)

well i could have done it in even 2 mins i gues with just saying: set up 2 lights, make a displaced plane and add procedurals to the color and bump channel. Add some procedural textures to the text environment. At the end hit F9. The END ... but thats not a tutorial and walk through. I'd call that a fly-by or rush-by.
Well it would be intersting to see the results then ;) Unfortunatly i cant serve the taste of all.

show us ur results when ur done :) looking forward to see that.

cheers,

Demon

WO WO WO WO WO stop RIGHT there. Listen man, you did an exellent job on this tutorial, and from a begginer I NEEDED this tutorial to be 35 minutes long and REALLY appreciate you spending all that time to create it. Seriously that tutorial was FULL of information that I really enjoyed learning and if he had just said do this and then done it in 5 minutes I would have not been able to continue and would have given up in the first minute of the video. Thank you for making a video which a begginer can understand and yet cover advanced topics (for a begginer) in a way that he understands not only how to do it but what its doing. It was a superb tutorial and I completly resent those comments. Good work and keep it up man!

CC Rider
10-09-2007, 04:38 PM
I have tried this tutorial before and I can never make the mountains look smooth. In the video, as soon as you apply the first two procedurals, the mountains have a nice shape. Mine still look "pointy" and jagged. What am I missing? Here is a screen shot of what I have so far...

Thanks for any help!