PDA

View Full Version : OT: Sony's big blunder

Fausto
11-08-2005, 08:49 PM
Sony, Rootkits and Digital Rights Management Gone Too Far

Here's an interesting read... DON'T buy Sony CD's and play them on your PC.

RootKit embedded in Sony music CD. (http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/10/sony-rootkits-and-digital-rights.html)

What's a Rootkit (http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/RootkitRevealer.html)

EDIT>>>>
Apparently, Sony CD's don't only install the rootkit, they also install spyware from a company called SunnComm. The nasty nature of this software is twofold, firstly it calls home, and secondly it installs even if you decline agreement to the EULA.

SunnComm Spyware (http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=925)

Here's how to remove it. (http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=154811)

Jim_C
11-09-2005, 05:22 AM
ummm hmmm,

Guess they won't have to worry about anybody copying their CD's since everyone will be so PO'ed they won't buy them.

http://news.google.com/news?client=opera&rls=en&q=sony%20cd&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&sa=N&tab=wn

mattclary
11-09-2005, 06:35 AM
But hey, it CAN be useful! ;)

World of Warcraft hackers using Sony BMG rootkit (http://www.securityfocus.com/brief/34)

starbase1
11-09-2005, 07:50 AM
Yes, for those who have not heard, Sony music disks sold in the US, now contain a particularly nasty chunk of code that hides itself, (and any other program starting with $sys$), tampers with the operating system, and runs the whole time, even when you are not playing music. More recently it was discovered to 'phone home' telling them what you are listening to as well. Attempts to remove it will kill your CD drive.

Try a google news search on "Sony Rootkit".

Even though I am UK based, this really does make me angry. I used to buy Sony blank DVD's for my projects, but I have switched to a new brand, and have also shelved plans to buy their DVD editting software, as recommended in conferences here...

No way am I putting a disk from that company in my PC...

Nick

MooseDog
11-09-2005, 10:48 AM
what's entertaining, as opposed to enfuriating as starbase1 says, is that the guy who outed sony on this is apparently a well-respected third party windows programmer. i recall reading that he refers to the rootkit coding as primitive, and its writers as monkeys (along those lines) LOL !

Signal to Noise
11-09-2005, 10:58 AM
Yes, these rootkit thingies are scary. I was watching TechTV last night and Steve Gibson (of Shield's UP! fame) was on CFH discussing it.

Anyone wishing more info on rootkits and links to utilites to find and remove them can visit here. (http://www.g4techtv.ca/callforhelp/shownotes/0276.shtml?regular)

Red_Oddity
11-09-2005, 11:02 AM
And the weird thing is...it only does this on Windows, so when you still want to rip your CD, you just download Knoppix (a Linux that runs from the CD and needs no install) and your done...Or you return the disc and go do the same thing the rest of the world does (or atleast according to the MPAA/RIAA/*company name here*)

starbase1
11-09-2005, 12:13 PM
Not even all versions of windows - apparently if you try it on the longhorn beta, it trashes your whiole machine to the point where you must reformat the hard drive.

And how the ^!"$ are you meant to fix something like that if its hidden software?

Nick

Fausto
11-09-2005, 08:26 PM
Apparently, on XP 64 based systems this isn't a threat. One note here, this software only loads if you use the embedded media player that comes with the CD. In any case, for me it's enough of an irritant to not buy any Sony product in the future.

WizCraker
11-09-2005, 08:54 PM
You can still rip the CD and then burn the files to cd.

starbase1
11-10-2005, 05:44 AM
Apparently, on XP 64 based systems this isn't a threat. One note here, this software only loads if you use the embedded media player that comes with the CD. In any case, for me it's enough of an irritant to not buy any Sony product in the future.

Yes, this really is completely unacceptable.

Apparently they are now facing a class action lawsuit in the USA, and even Microsoft have said they are converned by this behavious. But Sony are styill insisting they have done nothing wrong, and have no plans to change their behaviour.

I really think that the music industry should leasten and learn to the computer software industry, who have faced similar problems with securing sofrtware for many years, and have a pretty clear idea of what users will accept.

Though not practical for every CD, the LW dongle is fine by me - I can move my software to a faster machine without licensing hassle, and it's unobtrusing in everyday use.

Can you imagine what it would do to your PC if other labels tried this too? You could end up with half a dozen hidden instances of various root kits fighting for control of your machine.

Nick

NanoGator
11-10-2005, 01:15 PM
I really do wonder why they think that making their products do less will result in more sales.

Jim_C
11-10-2005, 05:24 PM
And now virus whackers are taking advantage of the door Sony has opened for them....

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/technology/personal_technology/13134753.htm

Kuzey
11-10-2005, 05:43 PM
Sony is in bad form, anybody remember it's answer to the iPod a few months ago.

me too

:D

Kuzey

riki
11-10-2005, 09:19 PM
I don't buy Sony anymore, there products a junk. At one stage everything I owned was Sony (playstation, TV, PC Monitor, VCR) and it's all ended up in the bin, shortly after warrenty expired and after wasting money on repairs. Whereas my Philips TV powerred on forever, year after year, never a problem. The Sony TV has been repair twice in the space of 3 years. Also remote no longer works. It's just a junky brand.

This is just another reason not to buy Sony. Also a good idea for consumers to send out a clear message, we don't like this kind of thing.

T-Light
11-11-2005, 01:55 AM
I had a Sony editing deck that died died on me two weeks out of Warranty, a TV we had did the same.

Touch wood, the cameras have been solid so far.
(Although I get the feeling I really REALLY shouldn't have said that)

Captain Obvious
11-11-2005, 04:51 AM
As far as I've heard, Sony's cameras are actually pretty decent. Everything else they make isn't, though. :)

Jim_C
11-11-2005, 06:36 AM
All our Sony pro gear has been wonderful for years.Decks, ccu's, and cameras. I've heard the same about it's prosumer line. I agree tho, its 'con'sumer line of products have gone down hill. I've had 2 Sony dvd players at work crap out for no reason.

Verlon
11-11-2005, 08:28 AM
My Sony Camcorder has been great. I do not see purchasing a sony CD while they use this crap. I sent a friend the link to this thread, and he was quite distressed to find it and a trojan hiding behind it on his computer.

Elmar Moelzer
11-12-2005, 03:54 PM
Well, I would not buy anything that contains sony components currently, honestly....
http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/10/2235206&tid=233&tid=137

I really think that Sony is shooting way over the goal with what they do to their CDs...
You know I am all for purchasing legal software and music, especially since I am in the software business myself, however what is happening now is really only hurting those that buy the software or music legally. Those that dowload it illegally dont get hurt by that at all. So the good guys are being punished.
Well done Sony!
CU
Elmar

Simon
11-12-2005, 04:28 PM
How to tell if it's on your PC ...

http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=924

Tiger
11-12-2005, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the link!
I`m happy with the result-"The specified service does
not exist as an installed service"
:thumbsup:

TSpyrison
11-14-2005, 10:33 AM
Ya know.. I used to be very brand loyal, a Sony “Fanboy” if you will.
I was even clinging to the dying breath of the Minidisk format..

I think now however.. My next TV, AV receiver, any piece of electronics..
Will not be a Sony product. I may even buy an IPod. (And will probably be struck down by lightning the day I do that.. Never been an Apple fan)

Makes you wonder if anything is being installed if you watch a DVD on your computer.

I seem to remember, when CD’s first came out, the promise was that initially prices would be high until more factories were built.. and eventually prices of CDs would come down signifigently. Never happened.

I have no problem with various industries making money, but suing its customers, and hacking into its customers computers I don’t believe is the right answer.

When I was a kid, I used to record the radio onto a cassette tape.. Would they have come to arrest me if they knew? (I know.. apples and oranges)

Makes me want to toss all my computers and CD’s out the window and say screw it. The stress of owning these products is starting to outweigh the benefit.
:cursin: :compbeati

cresshead
11-14-2005, 11:36 AM
there are definatley days when being a computer 'user' becomes so stressfull you wish for ye olde worldy days of open sewers, rickets, t.b. the black death and being shang highed onto a tall ship for 4 years to eat weavel encrusted dry biscuits followed by a good honest dose of being 'keel hauled' before tea!

a ha haaar, me hearties! :D [naughtical laughter!]

still in the 1980's when we had the spectrum and and vic 20 i'm sure they didn't crash as much!...and they we're fun too...not a sony corporate devil hand in sight!

starbase1
11-14-2005, 12:00 PM
NOTHING crashes ike a windows PC, at either end of the spectrum, (including the spectrum for those with long memories). Not a playstation, not a mac, not an amiga, not a mainframe, not a Unix box, not a linux box, not a Sun... You name it...

Anyway, now people are actually reading the licence 'agreement', and guess what? It's every bit as nnasty as the rootkit. See:

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/004145.php

Enough of this pooh, I'm boycotting everything from Sony.

Nick

Lynx3d
11-14-2005, 01:22 PM
The most funny thing i heard about it is that one executable of the "copy protection" seems to include parts of LAME, which is LGPL software so they might actually violate the open source licence...
Anyone know what kind of drugs those Sony-guys take? I want some of them too, it apparently makes you think you can do anything and get away with it...

Zane Condren
11-14-2005, 02:12 PM
Actually it also installs itself on OSX, it just asks your permission

Captain Obvious
11-15-2005, 12:56 AM
Actually it also installs itself on OSX, it just asks your permission
Well... Mac OS X does not support auto-run for external media. You still need to manually run the application on the CD.

starbase1
11-15-2005, 01:19 AM
I'm getting more and more tempted to try a Mac, at least to muck about with. There were those really cheap small ones weren't there, where you could plug in a PC screen and keyboard? That should be enough to see if I get on with one...

Nick

starbase1
11-15-2005, 06:02 AM
Whoops, it looks like its getting worse...

Looks like that list of 20 CD's they admitted to infecting did not include those shoved out on subsidiary labels... Here's a list which says its still incomplete, 47 infected and rising.

http://www.idiotabroad.com/?p=58

And now it's come to light that in the UK Sony are rigging the prices on goods supplied to online shops, to boost high street stores, which, surprise surprise, include their own branded Sony centres:

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2005/11/15/sony_variable_pricing/

Nick

mattclary
11-15-2005, 06:22 AM
When I was a kid, I used to record the radio onto a cassette tape.. Would they have come to arrest me if they knew? (I know.. apples and oranges)

Not so fast, my friend. Not as apple and orangey as you might think.

http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/analog-hole.ars

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051104-5527.html

Content providers are in league with Lucifer. :devil:

TSpyrison
11-15-2005, 10:36 AM
Not so fast, my friend. Not as apple and orangey as you might think.

http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/analog-hole.ars

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051104-5527.html

Content providers are in league with Lucifer. :devil:

Nice. :mad:

Can the MPAA and RIAA get any worse?
There has to be some kind of public backlash against this crap.

And its not even like they are turning out good movies or music anymore!

They suck!

Captain Obvious
11-15-2005, 02:15 PM
Holy oppression of consumer rights, Batman!

Elmar Moelzer
11-15-2005, 02:22 PM
I think that Sony and the record industry are about to get regarded as the devil instead of Microsoft now ;)
For me the record industry has always had a bad taste anyway. Those made up stars that they have full control over starting from their looks to the songs they perform. Stars that cant even play an instrument anymore, that dont write their own songs and that are pushed up via advertizing and dubious policies towards consumers and broadcasters (you want to play song A you have to play songs B and C and D in heavy rotation too, same happens for movies too, btw).
Those made up stars are easy to control and can just as quickly vanish as they rose if they dont do what the label says (since they dont write their own songs, they will just get bad songs for their next album -> star is gone).
It is all about them gaining total control of what we are being entertained with. I dont like that, really.
Luckily there are still some small labels that support real artists and musicians that write and play their own music. Unfortunately these rarely get a chance, since the general public is allready overfed with the (massware-) crap music and stuff that Sony and others produce.
Anyway the whole copy protection thingy that Sony introduced here is just the tip of the ice berg to me. Just one more step on their way total control over media and what we are "entertained" by.

CU
Elmar

art
11-15-2005, 03:00 PM
It is all about them gaining total control of what we are being entertained with. I dont like that, really.
Luckily there are still some small labels that support real artists and musicians that write and play their own music. Unfortunately these rarely get a chance, since the general public is allready overfed with the (massware-) crap music and stuff that Sony and others produce.

I totally agree. That is one of the reasons why I stopped listening to most of the radio and watching music on TV (mtv in particular). There are some real artists and decent stuff being played, but rest of it is just crap, as you said it. Maybe I am being paranoid, but there were cases where I started to dislike bands I liked otherwise simply because they were played on mtv.. :screwy:

The industry probably has some good reasons to fight piracy, but what sony did with the root kit is ridiculous. Im my eyes this borders on hacking my computer.
I hate the idea of DRM where I cannot move the music I own between devices. I know, there is a question whether I really own the piece of music, but thats not my point here. I prefer to keep copies of my CDs in my car and the originals at home. DVDs? I HAD to copy all my barney and teletubbies, and bunch of other DVDs for my kids, otherwise they'd be ruined in 2 weeks with their fingerprints, scratches, goo and what not.

And what is up with those ads and trailers on dvds which you cannot skip?

Jim_C
11-15-2005, 03:45 PM
Not so fast, my friend.

I remember the day when I would put a cassette recorder in front of the speaker hooked to a record player to record Cheap Trick, Live at Budokhan and other assorted.....

Looks like devolution might be neccessary.

There isn't DRM in the airwaves yet is there?.... YET......?

starbase1
11-15-2005, 03:59 PM
You mean 'The Analogue Loophole'? to use their terminology... See also attempts to get DRM built into digital radio, and to campaign against the BBC (as an example) broadcasting without it...

Nick

Lynx3d
11-15-2005, 04:03 PM
Well said Elmar...
that's why i don't listen any radio since ages, you can adjust your watch to the occurence of certain chart songs, no joke, and i always wonder if my da** WinAMP playlist is larger than their supposedly enormous music archive (my playlist currently has less than 400 songs!)
But that's Pop business apparently...

But luckily, since i mutated to a Metal listener over time, things don't look nearly as crappy to me (and no, i sure don't listen to Metallica and most other bands that smell like commerce :p )
You know, none of my favourite CD even has conventional copy protection, or maybe it just failed to work when i converted them to mp3 for my Zen micro or listened them in computers...

starbase1
11-15-2005, 04:55 PM
And what is up with those ads and trailers on dvds which you cannot skip?

You missed that campaign against fast forwarding through recorded stuff then?

Not watching the adverts is like stealing from the program producers. Nope, not joking.

Nick

rcr62
11-15-2005, 05:08 PM
It gets even worse. The fix they have been giving away for the past week or so, opens a hole that allows code to be executed on your system.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10053831/

:bangwall:

starbase1
11-15-2005, 05:09 PM
This may be hard to beleive but it looks like Sony are getting even worse...

Turns out that their removal tool leaves you wide open to commands from any web page, see:

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5954154.html

Here's the key lines:

"Any Web page can seize control of your computer; then it can do anything it likes," Felton and fellow researcher J. Alex Halderman wrote on their blog. "That's about as serious as a security flaw can get."

I just tried a google search on 'boycott sony' - 882,000 hits. Let's see what that number is tomorrow...

Nick

art
11-15-2005, 07:06 PM
But luckily, since i mutated to a Metal listener over time, things don't look nearly as crappy to me (and no, i sure don't listen to Metallica and most other bands that smell like commerce :p )

Funny, this description fits me perfectly as well although my avatar does not seem to portrait the kind of guy who likes to :rock:
There is so much stuff in this genre that is still unspoiled by commerce, maybe that is part of the appeal too.

art
11-15-2005, 07:12 PM
You missed that campaign against fast forwarding through recorded stuff then?
I think I did miss it but I've read about it somewhere and about some particularly nasty Disney DVD (i'm not sure which one it was).

Using barney as an example again (sorry), why do my children have to sit through short intro everytime they want to watch barney, which is at least once a day? And in this DVD's case fast forward does not even work.

Elmar Moelzer
11-15-2005, 07:33 PM
Hey!
Yeah this while fast foreward thingy is really annoying.
I dont know why but for some strange reason this thing reminds me of a satire from the 80ies...
I wonder when they will push for a law that wont allow you to turn the DVD, or the TV off again once you have turned it on once...
You know, it may be a copyright violation to stop watching the stuff. Stopping it or pausing it could be interpreted as an alteration of the content from the way it was intended to be used. ;)

Oh and I am more into metal and alternative music too, which gets very little coverage on MTV and also most radiostations here (which is why I rarely listen to the radio).

Oh well...
As I said, todays entertainment gets more and more unentertaining, not to say to the point where entertainment becomes almost work ;).
It is not very relaxing anymore then.

The good side of all that is that it made me read some more good books again lately ;)
Thinking about it: A book usually costs less than a DVD and you usually spend more time reading it, so the entertainment value per buck is higher and honestly a good book still usually has much more niveau than even the best movies out there...
Kinda weird and twisted world we live in, or maybe I am just getting old ;)

To get back to music, luckily I bought most of the classical pieces I love (mostly published by the Deutsche Grammophon since they have a lot of pieces with Karajan) a while ago. So I dont have to bother with buying some of the new CDs for that in a while. Hehehe, Sony wont get a single buck from me thats for sure ;)
CU
Elmar

art
11-15-2005, 07:42 PM
As someone jokingly said on some other forum, maybe one day we will get sued by big guys for lost revenues simply because we are not buying their movies or music.

BeeVee
11-16-2005, 01:57 AM
You guys need to read this book: http://www.free-culture.cc/ It's available for a free download in lots of different formats under a CC licence, and also from bookshops if you have the money to buy it. It really sheds some light on the fact that the MPAA and RIAA and big radio in America were all once pirates themselves. Have you ever asked yourself why the movie industry is based in LA? This book gives you an answer...

B
PS. It also clues you into a site called the Internet Archive (www.archive.org), that several people have been quoting from on here for their wayback machine that shows old websites. It also has an archive of free music and films...

starbase1
11-16-2005, 03:13 AM
Sueing for not watching? Well, in scandinavia they put a tax on blank cassettes in the theory that you were probably using them to copy music, don't know if they did it to CD's too...

On the music front, pretty much everyone I know is moving away from mainstream music, whatever their tastes. A good friend, also british, likes stuff in the area between bluegrass and rock, plenty if you start looking. I like electronic / synth stuff, and there LOADS of good things being produced by guys who maybe break even, maybe get enough for another synth. ANother friednd likes ambient, again a thriving scene no one hears about.

With net based radio, you can hear pretty much any radio station in the world if you have broadband, and some of the small ones are actually worth listening to!!!

I think we are due for another new wave / punk explosion from the ground up.

Maybe this time WITHOUT big labels?

From what I understand, the artist gets less than 10% of the price of a CD. The artist has minimal control over release schedules, album art, anything really...

With online shops, and digital music, this is completely unnessesary. Cut out the label, the retailer, the distributer. Sell at a much lower price, and STILL make much more. Release 10 CD's worth in a year, or 1 track.

We need sites like Turbo Squid or Renderosity for music, one per genre!

Nick

PS - Boycott Sony now returns 1,010,000 hits on google.

BeeVee
11-16-2005, 03:40 AM
Pertaing to this issue: http://www.downhillbattle.org/itunes/

Again, for non-mainstream music particularly electronica can I direct you to http://www.archive.org?

B

Lynx3d
11-16-2005, 03:50 AM
Well you definitely do pay extra for each CD/DVD burner in Germany because you could copy music etc. with it...it's just so ridiculous, but reality!

Userfriendly has some very nice cartoon strips about Sony the last days :D
And be sure to read those ones:
http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20051011
http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20051012
http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20051013

BeeVee
11-16-2005, 04:07 AM
Same is true in France - you pay extra for blank VHS cassettes, audio cassettes and blank CD-Rs, R/Ws and all manner of blank DVD media.

B
PS. The worst thing about the extra money you pay is that it really only helps the top 10% of artists who can afford the dues you have to pay...

bluerider
11-16-2005, 04:55 AM
I had a Sony editing deck that died died on me two weeks out of Warranty, a TV we had did the same.

Touch wood, the cameras have been solid so far.
(Although I get the feeling I really REALLY shouldn't have said that)

Lol....that was funny, saying that I hope your camera doesn't screw up.

I use fuji finepix, good standard camera long lasting and immune to idiots............. thats why I use it of course ;D .

bluerider
11-16-2005, 04:56 AM
You guys need to read this book: http://www.free-culture.cc/ It's available for a free download in lots of different formats under a CC licence, and also from bookshops if you have the money to buy it. It really sheds some light on the fact that the MPAA and RIAA and big radio in America were all once pirates themselves. Have you ever asked yourself why the movie industry is based in LA? This book gives you an answer...

B
PS. It also clues you into a site called the Internet Archive (www.archive.org), that several people have been quoting from on here for their wayback machine that shows old websites. It also has an archive of free music and films...

You rebel, you've let the cat out the bag now :devil:

starbase1
11-17-2005, 03:18 AM
Still growing - this morning shows many more on google!

Results 1 - 10 of about 1,330,000 for boycott sony.

Nick

starbase1
11-18-2005, 03:10 AM
The first law of holes being: "If you are in one, stop digging".

But it seems like its getting worse still for them:
http://digital-lifestyles.info/display_page.asp?section=business&id=2770

Apparently if the researchers are correct, the player software that includes all the pooh contains large chunks taken from the open source LAME MP3 code.

Or, in other words, Sony's DRM software is an abuse of other peoples Intellectual Property!

But it gets better still, see:
http://www.boycottsony.us/

It now seems that they may have also swiped code from DVD Jon, the guy who aledgedly cracked the DVD protection and published the code to do it...

No sense of irony there!

Nick

And Google search on Boycott Sony now gives:
Results 1 - 10 of about 1,580,000 for boycott sony.

Captain Obvious
11-18-2005, 03:48 AM
Sueing for not watching? Well, in scandinavia they put a tax on blank cassettes in the theory that you were probably using them to copy music, don't know if they did it to CD's too...
Since july first we pay money to out equivalent of the RIAA every time we buy blank CDs and DVDs. :(

Of course, in one way it's positive. It gives you a good chance of being allowed to freely download, since it assumes you will and you pay for it. The same thing happened with cassette tapes. Someone pointed out that since he had already paid the recording industry when he bought the cassette, he should be allowed to copy all the albums he wanted, an explanation the courts accepted.

DoF
11-18-2005, 05:59 AM
BMG is one of the six divisions of Bertelsmann. It was set up in the early 1990s to combine the music label activities of its parent company. It consists of the BMG Music Publishing company, and the 50% share of the joint venture with Sony Music, Sony BMG Music Entertainment (Sony BMG).

Bertelsmann was the biggest publisher of Nazi texts, bigger even than the National Socialist party's own printing business. It pumped out 20 million books to rally the troops and spread the word. Its support of the party was evident long before the war. In the early 30s, the firm published, for instance, The Christmas Book for Hitler Youth.

Bertelsmann made "indirect" use of Jewish slave labour in Latvia and Lithuania.
The then head of the company, Heinrich Mohn, also made donations to the SS, Hitler's special forces and concentration camp guards.

In 2002, Bertelsmann admitted it lied about its Nazi past and had made big profits during Adolf Hitler's reign in Germany using Jewish slave labour.

Bertelsmann had used its "revised" history when it took over the biggest US book publisher Random house in 1998.

The British, who administered the part of Germany where Bertelsmann was based after the Second World War, knew of the Nazi links but turned a blind eye. British forces provided Bertelsmann with a licence to print books after the Allies occupied Germany at the end of the war, and so gave it a cover to bury its past. In 1945, two British officers, known only by their surnames, Felix and Paget-Brown, granted Mohn the authority to set up in business.

In the UK, Bertelsmann is the majority owner of Channel 5.

TSpyrison
11-18-2005, 10:34 AM
I am curious as to what exactly this rootkit thing that sony had sneak into the computer was supposed to do.

How was it supposed to “fight piracy” *Cough* trample our fair use *cough*

starbase1
11-18-2005, 11:56 AM
In brief, it controlled access to your CD drive, so you could not get at it with any program to rip or copy, except the one provided on the disk.

It was not even competent at that though - for example Linux PC's ignored it. Also there were free ripping programs that were not even designed to crack copy protection that simply did not notice it was there.

I find it interesting to try and think of a single possible mess they have not done with this - it's malware, opens your PC up to hackers, lets people cheat in online games, breaks your CD drive if you try and delete the files, lies on the EULA, (which is itself insane), phones home with details of what you are listening to despite Sony saying the opposite, attacks genuine customers (but does nothing to file sharers), has TWO different infringements of others intellectual property (so far), interferes with possibly legitimate ripping of other CD's, is intended to stop other Sony products operating, (Such as Acid that rips music, or Sony cd writers and duplicators, or Sony blank disks). The 'fix' was even more dangerous than the original problem, allowing a web page top run anything on your PC...

Still, no one has caught it emailing p0rnography to terrorists, or spamming shareholders yet.

I'll check the news tomorrow.

Nick

MooseDog
11-18-2005, 10:19 PM
LOL w/Nick. You really have to seriously TRY to f^&k up that bad!!!! Which speaks volumes to their corporate culture over there.

Elmar Moelzer
11-19-2005, 03:11 AM
Hey Captain Obvious, we do not only have to pay that for CDs and (Video-) tapes, but also for Sat receivers since a few years...
A so called "artist protection fee" for each Sat reveiver (no matter whether it is digital or analogue) in the size of about 15 Euros if I remember correctly.
Not sure why exactly they are a problem, but seemingly the big corporations try everything to get money out of consumers. The small artists get little to nothing anyway, since you have to be played a certain amount of times in a certain timeframe to get any money from the Gema (e.g. if you are a musician and are played only 4 times a month on say two radio stations, you get nothing, nada, nihil, no matter how long you have payed for your membership in the Gema...
CU
Elmar

adboy
11-19-2005, 05:43 AM
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5946825.html

not sure if its true but lets hope so

starbase1
11-19-2005, 10:48 AM
That's a bit old - there' a full blown recall now...

But notice that word "suspend" - sounds to me like they are planning to start up again when the fuss dies down. Presumably AFTER they settle all the damages from their own intellectual property violations.

After all, when they even leave the copyright message in the object file...

http://www.tgdaily.com/2005/11/18/open_source_codecs_found_in_xcp/

"and a simple examination of the hexadecimal object code from a portion of XCP actually revealed the copyright notice for Freeware Advanced Audio Coder (FAAC)."

Nick

Lamont
11-19-2005, 08:50 PM
Hehehe, Sony BMG seems to have their arse's between a rock and a hard place.

Jim_C
11-21-2005, 07:46 PM
Patch for the patch.
http://news.com.com/Patch+issued+for+Sony+CD+uninstaller/2110-1002_3-5965819.html

Probably to be soon followed by the patch for the patch for the patch.

And Sony shoulda known not to Mess With Texas.....
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/21/AR2005112100645.html

starbase1
11-22-2005, 01:00 AM
And 'boycott sony" continues to grow in google search:

Results 1 - 10 of about 2,660,000 for boycott sony

DocDeezy
11-22-2005, 01:15 AM
anybody know how to save pix in modeler to be uploaded to the forum??

BeeVee
11-22-2005, 05:56 AM
Here's an interesting article from the Inquirer: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27826

B

starbase1
11-24-2005, 03:19 AM
A very good article on the DRM train wreck we are currently accelerating into:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=2177

And we are now up to 2,770,000 google hits on 'Boycott Sony'.

Personally I expect it to all really hit the fan when Windows Vista appears, with all sorts of DRM built in from the ground up.
Nick