PDA

View Full Version : Chuck/Newtek STOP adding NEW feature AND

paul summers
11-08-2005, 03:16 PM
Chuck/Newtek STOP adding NEW feature and get the basics right.

Make LIGHTWAVE stable on the MAC or Soon there will be no mac users here.

I HAVE HAD LIGHTWAVE FOR just OVER THREE WEEKS NOW?
and i can say that i think i have just wasted my money on a
Remarkably unstable MAC Product.

Vote YES = STOP adding NEW feature
vote No =NEW feature and Lots of new and old bugs

Chuck get a G5 in your office
install lightwave 8 and try to do some work
let me know honesty What you think?

SORRY ABOUT THIS BUT ITS LIKE I AM 560 DOWN

Yours Paul

BazC
11-08-2005, 04:05 PM
Lightwave isn't the most stable application I use but it isn't bad. As was suggested in another thread try disabling the hub which seems to be Lightwaves weakspot!

Lightwave 9 is expected to be a big improvement in all kinds of ways, since you'll be getting a free upgrade anyway, why not wait a few weeks and see how LW9 runs for you?

paul summers
11-08-2005, 04:17 PM
just had three weeks of **** with this app

The hub is turned off
Delete-preference-files and set up
Rescanned plugin directory too

Random crashing most of the time

no work done at all

thanks Paul

nthused
11-08-2005, 05:44 PM
I know that the Dallas Morning News uses LW in a production environment...putting really great work out everyday. They don't seem to have a problem with LW...but then again haven't heard whether they've upgraded to 8.5 yet.
Sorry you're having so many problems.

gishdog
11-08-2005, 06:33 PM
What does the Dallas Morning News use lightwave for???

toby
11-08-2005, 08:46 PM
And do they use it on a Mac?

Ade
11-08-2005, 09:06 PM
Its all the hubs fault...The hub doesnt even function propely on the mac.
Newtek should adopt the modular feature and piss the hub off.

loki74
11-09-2005, 12:25 AM
The only instabilities I've had are in Layout, if I have a decent (okay, decent to me, but probably low to the rest of you) amount of stuff in the scene and I resize the viewports, LW crashes. I fix it by setting each viewport to nothing, resizing, and setting them back as I had them. Tedious, but worth it. (thats not to say however, that I wouldn't LOVE to have an even more stable LW!! :thumbsup: )

other than that, its just your typical instabilities associated with computationally intensive non-OSX-native apps. No biggie. (once again, stability never hurt)

As for this poll, I really can't decide either way. I'd love to see arock-solid stable system (read: stable as though it were written natively on Mac. Idyllic, not likely, but you get the point) but I'd also like to see more features, especially with more refined dynamics, more smoothly integrated animation tools, and a niceer-looking UI (I really like Modo's UI, and I sure as **** would not complain if LW began looking like Apple's ProKit apps!)

At this point, I trust NewTek's judgement as far as balancing both issues. They have Mac-users on both sides pushing for both things, and a decision (I imagine) would not be easily reached or taken lightly.

In case its relevant:
Dual 2.5 PowerMac G5, 2.5 GB RAM, 128 MB VRAM, running OSX 10.3.9 "Panther" and LightWave 8.3. I use the Hub.

nthused
11-09-2005, 06:54 AM
And do they use it on a Mac?

Yes, they use macs.

I spoke there a couple of times about using LW for architectural and land planning work. It was beautiful to see a room full of G5s with those 20" monitors... The lust factor was high for me that day!

For a look at what they use it for take a look at Layne Smith's profile at the NewTek site. He does some awesome work.

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/profiles/LayneSmith/index.php

nthused
11-09-2005, 07:00 AM
I know you've likely checked, but are you using the latest drivers from nvidia or ATI? I know when I spoke the first time at the DMN, the 5200s were crashing and the ATIs were stable.

I hope the new Quadro cards that Apple is now using (or being made available) are much better at this type of work.

eblu
11-09-2005, 08:10 AM
hi guys.
I am too very frustrated at times with Lightwave's pantheon of bugs, glitches, gotchas, design issues, and other miscellaneous stuff that just don't work.
I will say that the application Can be put to work in its current form to do beautiful professional work. Many mac users use it every day, and find it quite adequate. But that does Not in any way prove that the bugs don't exist, or aren't a significant problem.

I've learned to work around many of these problems, to the point that I just don't think about it anymore, but many more remain, and new ones crop up in every new build.

If you take a look at the big picture, you'll see that almost every new feature Added to lightwave is plagued by bugs, design issues, or limited usefulness, undermining its value. All this at a time when Lightwave is already plagued by deal breaking problems, that are being ignored so that these new "features" can be added.

I realize that Newtek Can't afford to Not add features to Lightwave, but in my estimation the current business plan, ignores the state of affairs "under the hood".

there is only one correct answer to this problem.

derail lightwave development, tear it down, redesign it, rebuild it.
Throw away the crap code, replace it with good code. if that means throw away 96% of whats in the app, then so be it. the resulting application will be that much better for it.

the longer you wait, the worse it will be for your users. that means that more of them will leave.

nthused
11-09-2005, 08:21 AM
You're right Eblu....it sounds as though that's what NewTek is doing with "9".

dankayaker
11-09-2005, 08:53 AM
I'd be happy if I could get the delete key to work as assigned. I'm in the camp that is not thrilled with LW8's performance on my G5's. I wish it would become more Mac based. I'm used to using arrow keys to move objects, and the space bar to start a preview . . . . etc . . . basic Mac conventions. That delete key is a mystery to me though.
I have high expectations for 9.

Chuck
11-09-2005, 08:59 AM
A poll with one option phrased two ways is truly useless for any purpose. I've closed it for that reason.

Secondly, chewing me personally out and and suggesting I get a G5 wouldn't affect development since I am not on the development team and have limited input and effect on what goes on in development. I'm not a programmer, nor am I at a position in the management chain where I can set policy and goals for the development team. I do my best to pass along input from the users, and I can assure you that management does listen and that the goals of the LightWave development and marketing teams are a stable and powerful product on both platforms.

Paul, if you compare notes with the other users responding on this thread, you will note that they are not experiencing the extreme instability that you are. Our market research with our Mac userbase indicates that the overwhelming majority find that the application is substantially stable. Given that, I would like to have our support services contact you to see if they can assist you in locating the cause of the instability you are experiencing.

Chuck
11-09-2005, 09:03 AM
Eblu, we have already published the fact that we are pursuing a redesign of the core of LightWave and replacement of much of the code using parallel changeover, meaning that we do not "derail LightWave development" from the user's point of view - they can expect regular updates to the product, with both new features and with many existing issues addressed and resolved. That process began during the LightWave [8] update cycle, and the number of things the team was able to accomplish then certainly proves again an already well-proven concept in development, and the team's ability to implement it to the benefit of our users.

Clearly, when moving an app from an older codebase to a new one, there is more than one way to skin a cat, and assertions to the contrary are simply not correct. The only group that would be well served by LightWave advancement "going dark" for some lengthy period of time would be the competitors who could take advantage of time to advance their own positions in marketshare during such a time.

For those who may have missed it, here is the documentation of the progress to date on the rewrite of LightWave 3D, with discussion of the planned future changes:

LightWave's Future Development (http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lwfuturedev.php)

BeeVee
11-09-2005, 09:24 AM
and Dankayaker? You're not pressing the Delete key, you are pressing the Backspace key. Pressing the Delete key works fine on the Mac. It's the one on the small block to the right of the enter key above the cursor keys on a standard keyboard.

B

Darth Mole
11-09-2005, 09:28 AM
Chuck - when might we get some more heads-up on LW9? Personally would love to see some more screengrabs or, preferably, video captures of the new features in action.

It looks like the SIGGRAPH stuff only scratched the surface - as a potential upgrade buyer, I'd like to see what I'm actually getting!

BazC
11-09-2005, 09:51 AM
Chuck - when might we get some more heads-up on LW9? Personally would love to see some more screengrabs or, preferably, video captures of the new features in action.

It looks like the SIGGRAPH stuff only scratched the surface - as a potential upgrade buyer, I'd like to see what I'm actually getting!

I'd love to know too. Is there likely to be more info available as we approach LW9's release or not? I'd love some video on new features! - Baz

Scazzino
11-09-2005, 11:11 AM
For those who may have missed it, here is the documentation of the progress to date on the rewrite of LightWave 3D, with discussion of the planned future changes:

LightWave's Future Development (http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lwfuturedev.php)

Hi Chuck,

I had missed that progress info myself as well. Upon reading it, I think you guys have chosen the best possible path forward!

I think part of what's happening on the forum here is that many of the changes so far are "under-the-hood" and not very visible to the users. For instance, the renderer is now a shared library, but the only way a user would have noticed that, is if they happened to notice it in the programs folder (or read the link above ;-). Once some of these internal changes become more visible in the benefits that they bring to the users going forward, such as when that same shared library is used in both Layout and Modeler, then I think the users will really start to appreciate all the hard work that's going into LightWave. Especially since over time we'll start to see many of the "old bugs" starting to die as well, as more and more of the old code is replaced...

So rather than LightWave "going dark" on us, we get the benefit of the full rewrite incrementally, with the addition of new features along the way.

Sounds great to me!

:rock:
-MikeS

Scazzino
11-09-2005, 11:18 AM
and Dankayaker? You're not pressing the Delete key, you are pressing the Backspace key. Pressing the Delete key works fine on the Mac. It's the one on the small block to the right of the enter key above the cursor keys on a standard keyboard.

B

Hi B,

That's true, but it does illustrate a valid Mac user point...

That "forward" delete key is rarely used on the Mac. Personally I don't think I ever really used it on the Mac till I started using LW. And I've been a Mac user since 1984... ;) On the Mac, most "delete" functions are tied to the backspace key, which IS labeled "delete" here on every Mac keyboard I have, and I have many of them. I've only ever seen it labeled "backspace" on PC keyboards...

It would be great if there were a user preference to let LW use more of the Mac conventions if a Mac user chooses... One thing that still drives me crazy to this day is the fact that the control/command keys are backwards in LightWave... In most Mac programs control-clicking brings up the context sensitive menu and command-clicking is used for non-contigous selections. In LightWave this is backwards... Since I use many, many, many different Mac programs all day long, I constantly hit the wrong keys when I switch into and out of LightWave...

I'd also like to be able to use Command key combinations as shortcuts on the Mac. They aren't even supported in the shortcut editor. I'd like to remap the control key shortcuts to use command key shortcuts instead, like all other Mac programs I use...

-MikeS

eblu
11-09-2005, 03:28 PM
BeeVee, MikeS, something to remember also is that Not all macs Have the "forward delete Key". Now, any MODERN Mac Has both, but traditionally the mac started out with one definition for the delete keys, and didn't necessarily include both physical keys in its various machines. if you take a good look at the keyboard, Both of them are labeled: "delete"... , this is because Apple makes no distinction between them. and so it follows that Mac Users do not generally make a distinction between forward delete and backward delete keys. Ignoring this breaks the consistency of the macintosh UI. Its advised against in the documentation, because it is unnecessarily counter-intuitive. Insisting that mac users have to learn to understand their keyboards another way is counter intuitive in and of itself. Now, I'm not saying its bad that you do this... in fact I'm acclimated, I don't care too much about the issue, but it is indicitive of the attitudes that I just cannot understand.

Beevee, instead of correcting the users, over and over and over again, perhaps... just maybe... the customer is correct here. Think about it... for whatever reason every single mac user has had difficulty with the way forward delete and backwards delete is setup in Lightwave. think of the man-hours you would save both yourself (as a software development entity), and the user, by setting it up as the user expects it to work. The user then uses his "mental muscle" and you get less complaints. the amount of work involved to make the change is a pittance, a tiny fraction, of the amount of time Newtek has already wasted on this issue, and will continue to waste, defending this counter-intuitive (subjectively speaking from the perspective of a mac user, of course) distinction.

Chuck, I have read the documentation. While the it sounds very impressive, I don't consider anything I don't see, as far as software is concerned. You may know about some very interesting things coming down the pipe, but to the user, they don't exist until they are in hand. I know it sounds unfair, but I have to evaluate Lightwave on its performance. And from my experience, Lightwave is still very unstable. The crashes have been reduced from ver 5.6... but when you get crashes, they tend to multiply, they tend to eat files, they tend to destroy preference files, and they have in the past... destroyed all of the preference files on my computer. Chuck, I Like Lightwave. I wish it liked me.

jeremyhardin
11-09-2005, 03:53 PM
regardless of my view with this, i'm glad the poll was closed.

i mean, a serious question of "Who wants lightwave to work? and who wants more bugs?" c'mon. as homestar would say, "Seriously guys...".

BazookaTooth
11-09-2005, 04:06 PM
;D

Here are some solutions you need to realze and decide on which one you should go with:

1. Get used to the problems at hand, find a way around them and stop complaining.

2. Change apps... like Maya, get used to the problems with it and stop complaining or take your complaints to them insted.

3. Get a PC and get used to your problems there or post your complaints in the PC thread insted of this one.

I have experienced some instability, but nothing like what your talking about. Seems like you're either a fluke situation or your just being a drama queen.

Darth Mole
11-09-2005, 04:57 PM
Okay, guys, lets keep it civil. We've all been there - I can remember wanting to hurl the freakin' Mac out of the window trying to use LW 6.0-6.5. If you're new to LW, it's not unfair to presume it should act like Final Cut Pro or Photoshop. It doesn't. It's buggy. We all get used to it on our own ways - me, I go out and kill people. Mr Summer rants on the forum. Once he's sorted a few workarounds and realised that VIPER isn't that stable, he'll calm down.

And, hey, we've all got LW9 just around the corner.

"...LightWave 3D, version 9.0, that will offer an entirely new workflow within a profoundly stable platform." That's what the man said.

(At last the killing can cease!)

donc
11-09-2005, 07:33 PM
I have not upgraded to LW 8+ because of all of the issues. Here is my configuration. see below.

With my current setup LW is as stable as photoshop for me. I can work for weeks without a crash!. Hub works, points showup correctly, no 0k bug, graph editor works. I can't be certain, but I think everything works!

I have to admit that I am likely to swich within the next few weeks because of all the screwups on the Mac side since the Luxology guys (founders?) left the Lightwave development team. I owe alot to Lightwave but business is business and I can't trust my ability to make cleint deadlines on an unstable app. Other 3D apps' latest versions do work on the mac platform and my 7.5b feature set is now 3 years old. I need to keep as productive and competitive as possible to stay in business. Ever try to rig a character in 7.5? It works but the tools in 8 and other apps have come a long way - without me.

Solely because of choosing LW as my primary 3D tool, I am trapped in 10.2.8 in order to keep LW stable. As many of my other apps move on past 10.2.8 support I will be forced very soon to upgrade my OS and pick a new 3D app which is stable in that enviorment ("what I should try disabling the hub? c'mon?")

Any way, here is the most stable 3D envirnment that I have ever worked in. Its a shame LW has been such a mess on the Mac since version 8.

LW 7.5b
Mac OSX 10.2.8
G4 dual 1.25
AtI 9000 pro graphics (with Lightwave "bug fix" update installed)
1.5 gigs ram

Good luck

toby
11-10-2005, 01:28 AM
BeeVee, MikeS, something to remember also is that Not all macs Have the "forward delete Key". Now, any MODERN Mac Has both, but traditionally the mac started out with one definition for the delete keys, and didn't necessarily include both physical keys in its various machines. if you take a good look at the keyboard, Both of them are labeled: "delete"... , this is because Apple makes no distinction between them. and so it follows that Mac Users do not generally make a distinction between forward delete and backward delete keys. Ignoring this breaks the consistency of the macintosh UI. Its advised against in the documentation, because it is unnecessarily counter-intuitive. Insisting that mac users have to learn to understand their keyboards another way is counter intuitive in and of itself. Now, I'm not saying its bad that you do this... in fact I'm acclimated, I don't care too much about the issue, but it is indicitive of the attitudes that I just cannot understand.

Beevee, instead of correcting the users, over and over and over again, perhaps... just maybe... the customer is correct here. Think about it... for whatever reason every single mac user has had difficulty with the way forward delete and backwards delete is setup in Lightwave. think of the man-hours you would save both yourself (as a software development entity), and the user, by setting it up as the user expects it to work. The user then uses his "mental muscle" and you get less complaints. the amount of work involved to make the change is a pittance, a tiny fraction, of the amount of time Newtek has already wasted on this issue, and will continue to waste, defending this counter-intuitive (subjectively speaking from the perspective of a mac user, of course) distinction.
This argument over whether Mac users should learn to use 1 more key ( which IS treated differently by OSX, you can forward delete with it ) is trivial, I hope NT puts this plea for a personnal preference on the priority list well below technological advancement and stability. BeeVee was just trying to help, he doesn't deserve to be talked down to.

And from my experience, Lightwave is still very unstable. The crashes have been reduced from ver 5.6... but when you get crashes, they tend to multiply, they tend to eat files, they tend to destroy preference files, and they have in the past... destroyed all of the preference files on my computer.
I don't know how much 'waving you guys have done on a pc, but I swear the Mac version just as stable as the pc version - we're just not used to that level of instability. You may think what I'm about to say sucks, but I can't reasonably expect NT to worry about making the Mac version head-and-shoulders better than the pc version, especially with code that's been ported from the pc. I'm sure that most developers would stop at near equal, all else being equal. That said, I'm sure they also try to respond to their userbase' concerns when they can, so I do believe that stability is a high priority.

loki74
11-10-2005, 02:28 AM

Hrmm... I'm fairly certain Apple DOES make a distinction. If you use FCP, try deleting a pice of video with each delete key--they're different. (You'll probably only notice the difference if you have stuff on either side of what youre deleting.)

I just set it up in LW so that my normal delete key (aka the backspace key) deletes stuff.

As far as Mac UI compatability in LW, the thing that really bugs me is that they really dont make much use of the conventional menu bar. The way they have it set up now isnt all that different from a typical windows setup, but having the bar at the top of the screen (recognizing Fitt's Law) is a convenience many Mac users have become very acquainted with. Also, it would be nice if the other panels (point/poly statistics, layers, etc etc) were either dockable or actual panel windows. (This would be mainly convenient for Expose--these windows would vanish because they are attached to the main window anyway.)

I don't actually own it, but I think that if LW took a few pages out of Modo's book as far as UI goes, that would be VERY cool!

One last thing with regards to UI (well, that I can think of at the moment!) it would be very nice if LW were to use the little dot that appears in the close button in the titlebar if a document has been modified. I mean, the star after the name works, I guess, but I have become quite used to looking at the close button to see if I have or haven't saved... just a minor point, though.

I personally can't wait for v9. Although I probably will wait a bit before upgrading, just so that I can first hear a general consensus on how well it works on Mac. Y'know, I'm still running Panther over here.

EDIT:

I may have mentioned this in another post or another thread, but seriously, those of you who are complaining about the Mac/LW problems should try Hash's Animation:Master for Mac. Don't get me wrong, I love the app. It was my first 3D app ever--great for beginners. But man... the Mac version was EXACTLY like the PC version in nearly every way, and very very unstable. It literally was like using a PC again. It forced the dock to hide, and it used all of the standard Windows UI conventions. aaaaahhH!

So in perspective, NewTek has done a seriously KICK @SS job on porting the software, if you ask me.

meanlebh
11-10-2005, 06:27 AM
I agree with what has been said by a few of the last posts....I do not see, or experience any of the huge instability that some people have reported....I use Lightwave everyday, both at work on a pc and at home on a mac, and feel that I actually have a much more stable workflow at home on my mac. sure there are a few bugs (on both the mac and pc) here and there and newtek has acknowledged them, come on guys, it isn't like they are ignoring the issues, these guys are working their hardest to deliver updates as quickly and as well written as they can.

and personally i am surprised that people are so frustrated with the whole delete key issue....i know that i would much rather have the development team working on real issues and real improvments with the software than have them making the keyboard commands suited to just us mac users....and as has been said, apple DOES treat the two keys differently...just open any word processing document and hit the forward delete key, and low and behold....it deletes forward, not backwards....so i guess i am confused....what is the issue here?

so anyways...enough of that....i love lightwave, and i hope that it continues only to improve in both new features and stability...so guys, please lay off with the complaints until 9 comes out and we see what improvements have been made...and even then, don't just post threads that do nothing but complain after only using the application for 3 weeks....give it some time, post some serious questions and i am sure that everyone here would be more than happy to try and help out to resolve most issues, after all that is really what this forum is all about, i know that i have gotten loads of help here from people in the past...

-Brian

p.s. another quick note for people thinking that lw on the mac is unusable....aside from lightwave, i also use xsi at work...now if anyone here can get that to run on a mac, i would love to see it...........

walfridson
11-10-2005, 07:34 AM
Just started using LW 8.5 on a G5 os x for a job.. Work fine here

mike_stening
11-10-2005, 07:50 AM
have to say my seat of lightwave works very well, yes it will crash occasionally but really only tend to do that on quiting (so i'vr saved by then and i wanted it shut anyway) and sometimes on pressing F9 sor a frame test though clicking the render frame button doesn't make it crash (odd?) but nothing i cant live with. i started back in version 5something and that was a bit iffy but sicne the update to 8.5 and the subsequnet 10.4.3 release its seems very good, very impressed with the preview quality in layout even without GLSL enabled.
as for the delete key thats like really minor in the scale of things.
i'm happy as i get me jobs done and LW is another tool in my armoury, nothing is perfect so no point getting wound up about it just be thankful it's even on the mac.
yeah i'd love improvements but then i doubt there will ever be a time were anyone is completely happy with the apps and hardware they use, things move on thats just the way it is.
:thumbsup:

Matt
11-10-2005, 12:52 PM
Have to say LW is pretty stable on my system, the only repeatable crash I get is when I load a model in 8.3 or 8.5, then go to load another model straight after, while the file requester is open LW Modeler just bombs out.

Haven't isolated whether it's LW or Windows, might try the LW file requester and see if it happens with that too.

I posted this problem and no one else seems to have it, so it could be my system, thing is, it happens on my work and home PC, and they are both entirely different specs.

Matt
11-10-2005, 01:03 PM
Okay, try this:

1) In Modeler, load a file (make sure LW is using the Windows file requester)

2) Now go to import an EPS using the EPS Loader, go to select a file and leave the file requester open

Does it bomb out on you?

pantone
11-10-2005, 01:34 PM
I've found Lightwave 8.5 to be the most stable version yet on my Systems. That includes a DP1000 G4 with a mere 1 Gig of RAM. A powerbook with a mere 768MB of RAM, and a G5 DP with 4 Gigs of RAM. All are running the latest version of OSX as well as LW 8.5.

Oh, and I usuually work with the HUB on.

One of the best stability tricks I've learned is to control where your config files get written to. (I learned this in a tutorial somewhere online...but I can't remember who or where. Props to whoever it was.) (see pic.)

Here are the steps:

1. In your "programs" folder create a file called "LW Configs" or whatever you want.

2. Open up one of the "cmndline" files. In it you'll find the path to a directory that's holding all your Lightwave configs. Usually "user/library..." Go there and copy all of the existing configs into a backup folder. Then delete them from this directory.

3. In a text editor modify the "cmndline" file to point to the new configs directory you just made in you LW>Programs folder. (Or some other place you'd like to keep it.) Save the file as text only with it's existing extension. (see pic.)

4. Do this same exercise for all 3 "cmndline" files. (Modeler, Layout, Hub)

5. Launch layout, or modeler. Check in the new "configs" folder that you just created and make sure that new config files were created there. If they were then the modified "cmndline" files are working.

6. Copy your original config files back into new config directory that resides in your LW>programs (or wherever) folder. (Keep the backup copies around in case you ever need them.)

That's it. This gets your LW configs our of the library folder and into the application folder. For whatever reason this has helped with stability on my system. It also makes it easier to make/keep copies of my config files as well as port them around to different machines.

I don't think LW is a totally broken POS on the Mac. It does need work in the stability/predictability dept. My experience with crashes is that LW doesn't like the unexpected. In all the other apps I use accidentally entering a letter where it expects a number, or mistakenly hitting a keyboard shortcut at the wrong time, elicits an error beep or message. In LW it's much more likely to cause a crash. I think LW is like an old house. If you slam the front door to hard sometimes the toilet flushes:)

Ozzie
11-24-2005, 09:43 PM
I'm running OSX 10.3.9 and Lightwave 8.3 everything seems fine. I only have two small issues. Layout will crash when I quit the app and sometimes my custom menu layout reverts to the original factory set-up. No big deal really.

If you want unreliablility time warp back to circa 1998 and try using LW 5.6 that was BAD.

CHEERS.

Mark

Very happy with LW8. :)

eblu
11-27-2005, 03:30 PM
pantone, ozzie,
no doubt. LW 8.whatever is much better when compared to LW 5.6... but when you compare it to say : Photoshop, Aftereffects, Dreamweaver... etc... Lightwave is by far the most unreliable application. Its literally a house of cards when compared to its contemporaries, and that has *always* been the case.

Ozzie, you have a preference file problem. you have to get rid of your preferences files. all of them. good hunting on that. and you may have lost some of your menu items, go over it carefully. my menus went haywire back in ver 7.5d and I Thought they went to the default layout, but they went to the default menus of ver 6.0 instead. I had to completely reinstall with all new preferences, and no custom menus before it worked again.