PDA

View Full Version : Can you replace 1 object with another?

drfoley
11-08-2005, 01:54 PM
Olla,

Is it possible to replace 1 object ( a character) with another character after you've animated him?

I know your supposed to be able to replace low rez models with high rez models when you do your final render but I want to replace an old version of my character with a more updated ( more geometry) version.

Can this be done just before your final render?

Thanks,
DrFoley :hey:

Surrealist.
11-09-2005, 07:08 PM
This would depend mostly on how you rigged the character and if the new geometry requires any additional rigging.

Otherwise a simple object replacement will work fine.

One thing you can do is load up your new object (with the old one still in the scene) and select "use bones from" in the bones property panel while this object is selected. You can chose the original object here in this drop down. Move the new object off to the side and compare how the deformations are working with the new object.

the only other hitch would be if you are using weightmaps. Some geometry adding functions in modeler do not retain the map data. Other fuctions do. It just depends.

drfoley
11-09-2005, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Actually I just want to upgrade the look on my characters legs for the final render. I'm using MotionBuilder so the rigging will be the same. And I dont use weight maps.

But...I was thinking about adding additional endomorphs for the final model. Would this screw things up?

Thanks,
DrFoley
:lwicon:

Surrealist.
11-10-2005, 03:38 PM
You should be fine.

Have fun.

:)