PDA

View Full Version : merge points won't merg

erikals
11-08-2005, 09:38 AM
Hi,

I've had this problem several times before, the points are in the same position on the same layer, but when I try to merge, it won't...

am I missing something?
http://erikalstad.com/cgtemp/Mergepoints.zip

peteb
11-08-2005, 09:45 AM
Have you tried welding them?

erikals
11-08-2005, 10:05 AM
I could, but the problem is I have about 600 points, so I want to merge them all at once.

liquidpope
11-08-2005, 10:54 AM
Hey, Erikals...

Try turning off "keep 1 point polys"...
Also try opening the points statistics panel, and look for single point polys. You may be able to delete them right there.

Dodgy
11-08-2005, 11:06 AM
Do you have a morph on your points? If so, it might be the two points have different values in the morph map. If this is the case, you won't be able to merge the points, only weld them.

If you don't want to lose the morph, select it, then use Quantize to snap the points together by a small amount, like 1mm for a 1m object (this should mean they'll be in the same position in the morph hopefully), and try the merge again.

erikals
11-08-2005, 11:22 AM
Hi, thanks for the response :) This forum is quick..
One of the solutions was right in front of me, I see in the video above and on the object now it's a 4point poly. I sure made a mistake somewhere.

Thank you very much for the fast response.
(and thanks for extra info Dodgy :))

Edit: not sure where I went wrong, but I just couldn't get it right, I ended up deleting the morph, unwelding, and then merging. For some reason it didn't seem to merge the points when it had a morph, even when I used the same unweld merge method, strange.

Edit2: I see what you say now Dodgy, I though I would be able to merge the base object, but I guess that makes sense. Maybe NT put in mergehint, "Points with morph positions will not be merged". ...or something.

Dodgy
11-08-2005, 01:51 PM
Oh it merges them, but only if they have the same morph position , ie don't separate in a morph. It'd be handy if there was a merge option which went through the morphs and merged their morphs too. I think I'll make it a feature request!