PDA

View Full Version : My license key isn't working

peteb
11-08-2005, 04:53 AM
I know there's a lot of threads on this but none seemed to cover my problem.

I've installed Lightwave on another machine and plugged my dongle into the USB port. I then entered my license key. I checked in program files and when I open the License file it has the correct number entered.
But when I open Lightwave it says I need to get a License key and then reverts to Discovery mode. If I open Layout and enter the License via the help menu it tells me that registration was succesful and to close Layout and re-open to get out of Discovery mode. I do this only to have the same message come up about not having a license present.
Any suggestions.

Pete B

BeeVee
11-08-2005, 06:14 AM
You need to tell us more about the two machines - and which versions of LightWave you are running on each? The message that your numbered was entered correctly is a standard one that merely indicates that the number you have entered has been saved, not that it is the right one.

B

peteb
11-08-2005, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I have have afeeling it may be the version number I'm using. My one at home is 8.3 where as the one here is just version 8. I've tried to download 8.3 but can't remember my password so can't do much to test the theory.

When you change version number, does it change your you license key. I can't remember recieving a new one... but my memory is crap.

Pete B

BeeVee
11-08-2005, 09:19 AM
It doesn't change your license.key but it does need new Sentinel drivers. If the ones included with the Installer haven't been installed try here: http://www.safenet-inc.com/support/tech/sentinel.asp

B

peteb
11-08-2005, 09:21 AM
When I forst installed it on this machine I used the ones that come with Lightwave 8 but I have now updated to the latest which are 7.1 or something like that. It still didn't work with them. I'll check that link you've sent and see if that's the same.

Edited to say that the link you sent is the place where I got the new drivers from and to no avail.

The machine I'm using is running on XP service pack 2. Don't see why the spec would make any difference but just in case it's a 2.6ghz with 2gb of ram.

Thanks for the quick response.

Pete B

Hoopti
11-08-2005, 09:20 PM
The other issue could be the USB port you're plugging the dongle into on the machine that's not recognizing the dongle is having an issue. I've got one machine here where it won't recognize my dongle on the front USB ports (even though they work for other USB devices) but it will recognize them on the rear USB ports.

Something to make try.

It should work as long as the program is finding the dongle. It sounds like it can't find the dongle.

Hoop

peteb
11-09-2005, 03:08 AM
I thought that too but Lightwave tells you when it can't find the Dongle, but it's not giving that warning it just says about the license number. Also the Dongles light is on and it says the device is working within device management.

I've just installed 8.3 and it's having the same problem.

Might have to give up on this one.

pete b