PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Farm Modelling Suggestions and Tips

AdamAvenali
11-07-2005, 09:51 PM
alright everyone,

next semester i am scheduled to do an independent study with my computer animation professor. i asked for a modelling project that would look good in my portfolio. i was assigned to local farm/gardens/walking trail place. They would like the grounds modelled as is, then have a minute or so animation, "walking" the trails, and at the same time showing an estimated 50 year ecological change. basically, what i'm looking for is what you would do in a situation like this?

my theory as of now:

- take a lot of photos before it snows up here in PA.
- model a few of the trees that will have attention to them as they are now in detail
- make a few generic/lower poly trees for the background

i have never modelled a realistic tree before either, so if anyone has any tutorials on that it would be great. i know i can handle the house and barn, but trees realistic trees are another thing completely. so basically, if anyone has ANY suggestions, i'm open to them!

thanks,
Adam

p.s. expect to see a start on this in the WIP section in mid-january 06 :thumbsup:

Silkrooster
11-07-2005, 10:20 PM
Sounds interesting. I think I would also take photos of a garden, perhaps a corn field, of an old wooden fence, some barb wire fence, telephone poles, hay bales, tractor, implements like garden plow, farm animals (cows, horses, sheep, goats, cats, dogs), silo, hay wagon.
Some objects especially those in the background you could apply the photo to a single poly. This works great when you are running short on time.
If you get a chance ask some farmers if you could have a tour. I am quite sure they would be happy to. While you are there ask them questions, how does some of the machinery work, how do you put hay into the barn (or hay mount), What crops are growing at the time of year your scene is to take place
Well, this should give you a starting point, good luck and have fun,
Silk

Captain Obvious
11-08-2005, 12:57 AM
Get HD Instance (http://www.happy-digital.com/instance.asp), so you needn't worry about low-poly or high-poly trees. Just make a few high-poly ones and instance them out. ;)

newsvixen8
11-08-2005, 05:08 AM
If this was me trying to simulate a walk-through, I'd start by doing the walk with a handycam to give me an idea what I'm up against. Do they want you to look fifty years into the future, or start from 50 years ago and work to the present? If they want the latter, maybe they're prepared to cough up some old photos to work from; if they want you to go forward from now, it's pretty much your ball-game. (Hey, I'm in PA too; good lord, just occurred to me... they're not asking you to model Longwood Gardens are they!?! That would take a lifetime... )

nthused
11-08-2005, 07:02 AM
Get HD Instance (http://www.happy-digital.com/instance.asp), so you needn't worry about low-poly or high-poly trees. Just make a few high-poly ones and instance them out. ;)

Amen! Incredibly freeing experience not having to worry about poly counts (as much).

...A happy high-poly tree-hugger now...

Captain Obvious
11-08-2005, 09:11 AM
Is a high-poly tree hugger a tree hugger who's high-poly, or someone who hugs high-poly trees? :D

nthused
11-08-2005, 09:27 AM
LOL...a high poly hugger... :)

seduceandrob:
If you have Vue...you may look at using that program to do the work...seems it would be more adept at this sort of thing.

AdamAvenali
11-08-2005, 10:22 AM
haha oh man.. i have a feeling after this project i'll be some sort of tree hugger haha

but i am under the impression that they want what it looks like now and then 50 years in the future (2055).

i do not have vue, but please let me know the advantages it would have in this project.

i guess the thing i'm most concerned with is the tree modelling. i have seen a few different ways the leaves are done, but i am not sure which is the most realistic and economical way? i've seen people do large blobs for leaves then just texture with some transparency maps, etc, but it seems you can always make out the outline of the shape they started with.

Silkrooster
11-08-2005, 03:34 PM
The advantages of Vue is you can make quick terrains and it comes with some trees . I recommend that you download the demo and see if it will help.
Silk

nthused
11-08-2005, 05:49 PM
Definately download the demo...see if it fits your work style. I've seen this type of work using World Construction Set - pretty dramatic if done correctly. You might want to download that demo too...understand though that the learning curve on WCS is pretty steep...especially compared with Vue.

nthused
11-09-2005, 07:06 AM
Link to World Construction Set. As I said ealier - a VERY steep learning curve.

http://www.3dnature.com/

AdamAvenali
11-09-2005, 08:40 AM
thanks for all the help everyone!

i recently found out some more detailed criteria for me to receive credit for the class, and since i requested a modelling type project, i apparently need to model everything from scratch.

i will post some pictures when i actually get a chance to go out and take them when it's not raining haha

MooseDog
11-09-2005, 10:44 AM
i apparently need to model everything from scratch

that's an excellent exercise actually and could prove very useful:

modelling hi-poly hero trees for close-up in the camera range, medium-level, and then lo-poly for background filler. looking down the road, even learning how to use hypervoxels and sprite images for the really far off or dense foliage and other plants.

best of luck :thumbsup:

MonroePoteet
11-09-2005, 11:39 AM
Here's a thread on trees:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=40301

with a few points on modeling them.

mTp