PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave renderer

ryankingslien
11-07-2005, 10:07 AM
Hello. I have a few questions regarding Lightwave's renderer. Pixologic recently released a plug-in for exporting out different bit depth displacement maps and I am wondering what is supportable in Lightwave.

First, is lightwave's renderer a micro-polygon displacer similiar to, say, Renderman?

Second, can lightwave accept 32 bit floating point files for displacement? If not, what is the highest level of bit depth it can support? 16 bit per channel? 8 bit per channel?

Thanks in advance. :)

Ryan

Lightwolf
11-07-2005, 10:23 AM
First, is lightwave's renderer a micro-polygon displacer similiar to, say, Renderman?

Well, LW9.0 will supposedly have something close to what renderman does. Not quite as sophisticated, but you'll be able to get results that are close from what I've gathered...

Second, can lightwave accept 32 bit floating point files for displacement?
LW does support 32bit float images since 6.0, and you can use them for displacement.
There is also a third party 16bit TIFF loader available (check www.flay.com, I don't have the link here at the moment).
Cheers,
Mike

toby
11-08-2005, 02:26 AM
But does it give you any advantage over 8 bit in LW? I was under the impression that LW just interpolates the 8 bit value from the the higher bit-depth data.

Lightwolf
11-08-2005, 02:43 AM
But does it give you any advantage over 8 bit in LW? I was under the impression that LW just interpolates the 8 bit value from the the higher bit-depth data.
From what I've seen in the SDK (which includes an image displacement plugin as a sample) it should use 32bit, unless something is going wrong internally. That would however mean that there is no HDR support either, and that clearly works (i.e. the image access code is identical in both cases).
Apparently some of the procedurals clip at 8bit.
Cheers,
Mike

warik
05-20-2006, 01:54 AM
Hi Mike

I am trying to use a 32bit floating point tiff in Lightwave to use as a displacement map. I cannot get Lightwave to recognize the file. Does Lightwave support 32bit floating point tiff's or do I have to use another file format?

Cheers

Warik

Lewis
05-20-2006, 08:46 AM
Hi warik !

Be sure that your TIFF is RGB and not CMYK.

RedBull
05-20-2006, 03:00 PM

Yeah i'm pretty sure it does too.....
I can't get any difference in using Lynx's 16Bit Tiff Loader,
to a normal 8bit image..... Displacements seem to be 8bit only...
(Which is really crappy)

LW9's ZBrush Demo, indicates LW9 does handle things better....

LW is not an MPD renderer, and i believe APS is not as beneficial as MPD...