PDA

View Full Version : Something wrong with Partigons?

spec24
11-06-2005, 06:34 AM
Maybe I've forgotten something in my steps since it's been a while since I've used them but while I can get the particles to show from an Emitter (particles to partigons) I can't changed their appearance. I change their surface attributes but nothing changes - they're constantly white. I loaded an old scene that used them and got wierd results as well. Any suggestions?

spec24
11-06-2005, 06:50 AM
sorry - I don't know what the reason but after I closed the scene and reloaded it seems to be working fine.

Can gradients be used on particles? I can't seem to get any results with a color gradient - using distance to object, the object being the emitter.

After a little playing I see that for osme reason I can't use the actual Partigon object to control my color gradient. I had to add another null and use that to control it.

Just forget the whole post :D

meanlebh
11-06-2005, 07:17 AM
just a quick suggestion....if you wanted to use a color gradient as the particles get farther away from the emitter, you can usually just set the gradient to particle age...in most cases this will do what it sounds like you are looking to do....

-Brian

Dodgy
11-06-2005, 08:42 AM
Hmm, distance to object using the emitter as the object works fine here... But it's still good to know you've got a solution :)

Mean, you can only use particle age to control a gradient if you're using HV's. Surface attributes for partigons can't read them.

meanlebh
11-06-2005, 09:08 AM
thanks for the clarification dodgy, i don't use particles all that much, so i guess i should have done a little more research before i opened my mouth...haha, oh well, thanks for clearing it up though.

-Brian

spec24
11-06-2005, 09:22 AM
Hmm, distance to object using the emitter as the object works fine here... But it's still good to know you've got a solution :)

Mean, you can only use particle age to control a gradient if you're using HV's. Surface attributes for partigons can't read them.

well - you know how quirky LW can be :) Maybe if I reload the scene again I'll get that to work too :) Either way - I got it doing what it needs to do.
My emitter is controlled by a motion curve - I wonder if that has any affect.

Dodgy
11-06-2005, 11:31 AM
well - you know how quirky LW can be :) Maybe if I reload the scene again I'll get that to work too :) Either way - I got it doing what it needs to do.
My emitter is controlled by a motion curve - I wonder if that has any affect.

Bless my soul! It does! Better report that as a bug!

spec24
11-06-2005, 07:17 PM
Bless my soul! It does! Better report that as a bug!

Glad it's not just me :)