PDA

View Full Version : VT 4 "remote" ?

logic28
11-06-2005, 02:21 AM
Dear members,

My name is Mauro Andreini from Italy and I work with my wife on small productions of both musicals and classical dance.

I would like to acquire and integrate a VT4 live in our stage equipment in order to replace a self-designed switch box, but I have a bit of a dilemma so I’ll explain more about what we do first.

In addition to live music, midi tracks and a dmx lighting system we are in fact projecting on large screens live performances directly from cameras combined with pre-produced video footage.

At the moment the cameras are remotely controlled by a self-designed serial connection with either D.M.X. or midi messages, but this can remain unaltered.

The switching of video sources is very conveniently obtained via a self-constructed box containing video stripping boards in conjunction with D.A. converters for the fades and signal switching integrated circuits.

Again all the commands are implemented by pre-assigned messages either embedded into the midi tracks or as cues in D.M.X. messages and serially interfaced to the box.
(Some videos and midi tracks are synchronised via s.m.p.t.e.)

This enables me to create a timeline of events or cues and therefore switch, zoom or fade any video source without the aid of an operator, but most importantly with exact precision throughout the whole program every time.

Coming back to the VT4, having been demonstrated by your Italian authorised dealer’s demo, I have noticed that most of the interfacing available to the outside world is devoted to the VT4 controlling other equipment rather than the opposite.

Is there any provision at all for external control of the VT4?

If I want to remotely control the take switch, or the auto fade button, or indeed change the preview source, can I use an external signal like RS232 and route it to the VT4 software adopting some of the scripts available within the software to do so?
Or do I have to rudimentaly interfere with the RS-8 physical switches rendering them
“ Remotely operated”.
This, besides it not being a very scientific way of doing things, would add the otherwise unnecessary use of the RS-8 on stage.

I find the VT4 an outstanding piece of equipment and I would love to enter the list of your satisfied customers so I hope that an answer can be found and look forward to your kind reply.

Thank you all very much for your time.

Mauro Andreini

mikkowilson
11-06-2005, 04:15 AM
Mauro,
You've built yrou own remote control video mixer? That's very impressive! ..i'd like to hear more about it.
VT does have GPI inputs for controlilng the AUTO TRANS, and I belive AUTO DSK.

There have been various projects invoving useing Midi to control many functions of VT. For example: http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=42526
This may be exactly what you need

However be sure to also check out this thread: http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=42566
I belive it's the most extensive implementation of external control of a VT to date, and it sounds right up your ally. - All you would need is a DMX or Midi to RS422 converter for certain comands.

Good luck with your project.

logic28
11-08-2005, 12:44 PM
Dear friend,

Thank you very much for your time in replying.
I will try the links and will let you know more about it.
again thank you

Mauro

Jim_C
11-08-2005, 01:11 PM
You can use the new VT switcher cues in the VT-Edit editor to do just as you ask.

The editor would run on the timeline in real time along with your performance. You not only can place prerecorded footage on the timeline, but the new switcher cues, can switch cameras on the switcher, set up fades, audio changes if need be etc. I included a pic to try and visually show.

The timeline(on top) has first a clip, then 2 switcher cues, the first would switch to say cam 1, the second to cam 2, then back to another clip off of the hard drive. You can set the cues for as long as you want. And there are cues for you DSK, audio mixer, T-Bar for fades, proc amp.....

the bottom of the pic is a file bin showing the cues available.

Ask your dealer to demonstrate. It's an awesome new addition to the VT.

Jim

edited to say this is not giving external control of the VT to you, but it would set up a completely automated VT using playback and switching all controlled within the VT. Push play on the edit line and your whole show could be rolled and switched automatically.

logic28
11-08-2005, 02:45 PM
You can use the new VT switcher cues in the VT-Edit editor to do just as you ask.

The editor would run on the timeline in real time along with your performance. You not only can place prerecorded footage on the timeline, but the new switcher cues, can switch cameras on the switcher, set up fades, audio changes if need be etc. I included a pic to try and visually show.

The timeline(on top) has first a clip, then 2 switcher cues, the first would switch to say cam 1, the second to cam 2, then back to another clip off of the hard drive. You can set the cues for as long as you want. And there are cues for you DSK, audio mixer, T-Bar for fades, proc amp.....

the bottom of the pic is a file bin showing the cues available.

Ask your dealer to demonstrate. It's an awesome new addition to the VT.

Jim

edited to say this is not giving external control of the VT to you, but it would set up a completely automated VT using playback and switching all controlled within the VT. Push play on the edit line and your whole show could be rolled and switched automatically.
Dear Jim,

Thank you so much for your input it was very helpful.

Regards

Mauro

dhomas
11-09-2005, 08:21 AM
In addition to Jim's comments about the use of VT Utilities that can be used on the timeline to control switcher inputs and such, MIDI-VT adds a new Utility that allows you to send MIDI commands in the same manner. That's MIDI-Out. It also works the other way, receiving MIDI commands to control the Switcher, DDRs, Audio Mixer and VT-Edit.

Note that MIDI-VT does NOT make use of potentially unreliable keyboard shortcut simulation to control VT modules. It controls the modules directly for complete reliability.