PDA

View Full Version : Looking for legacy shaders in LW 8.3. Where do I find them?

OcatilloPicture
11-05-2005, 06:41 PM
Hi

I want to use the "Snow" legacy shader rather than deal with gradients. ****ed if I can find the legacy shaders mentioned in the Manual.

Presuming that they are in a folder that I simply haven't loaded, how do I go about adding new shaders to my drop down list in Surface Editor?

Sorry, I'm a bit of a newbie at LW 8.

What am I missing?

Thanks

Terry

Qexit
11-06-2005, 04:00 AM
They are in the Legacy Plugins folder. However, you cannot edit or modify any settings for them in LW8.X. The plugins are only there so that old scenes that used them can still render in the current version of LW. This is also why they are not mentioned in the manuals any more. To recreate the effects in a new scene you have to use gradients and other features in Surface Editor. Sorry.

OcatilloPicture
11-06-2005, 11:57 AM
Thanx, Qexit.

I did manage to get passable results using gradient. However, in the version of the LW 8.3 manual that I have they do mention (briefly) the legacy snow and rust plug-ins. There's the source of confusion!

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Terry

WCameron
11-06-2005, 05:01 PM
I _THINK_ if you swap in the LightWave 6 versions and add the LWPannels plugin from the legacy plugin folder (of 8.x) you get the interface back...
Dunno if they're compatible with the changes to the render engine and api
they've made in recent revisions though.

- Will.

OcatilloPicture
11-06-2005, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the follow up. In my case I went directly from LW 4.0 to LW 8.3. I am pretty sure that the shaders wouldn't be compatable. Did LW 4 even have shaders?

Anyway. Maybe this info will help someone else. I did do a search before posting my question (to no avail) and I only happened upon the info about the legacy shaders being hidden or killed outright.

Terry

Qexit
11-06-2005, 06:09 PM
I _THINK_ if you swap in the LightWave 6 versions and add the LWPannels plugin from the legacy plugin folder (of 8.x) you get the interface back... 'Fraid not. They were already legacy plugins in LW6. The arrival of Gradients in LW6 supposedly made them redundant, so you couldn't get at them fully after LW5.6.

Qexit
11-06-2005, 06:20 PM
...in fact the Natural Shaders made their first and last appearance in LW5.6.