PDA

View Full Version : Scene Specific "Save"

krimpr
11-05-2005, 09:46 AM
...Whereas objects from your library could be resurfaced with an option to have the changes saved specifically to the scene. For example, an object that was surfaced with texture maps and procedurals from your library could be re-surfaced for a cel shaded scene, or diffuse levels altered to accomodate different lighting models for a particular scene saved under that scenefile. That would eliminate having multiple copies of the same object in your library. Of course, you could still use "save object as" if you find that you are using this instance of the object enough to warrant it. Also, using "load object from scene" would then load this incarnation with the altered surface properties into your scene. I don't know about everyone else, but this would often save me alot of time.

RedBull
11-05-2005, 12:45 PM
I think saving a 2nd copy, is hardly a large problem....
And i also think, why not re-use the same object over and over, and just change the surface preset?

Save a preset surface files for the object, And when you load the object
to your particular scene, load the surface preset......
Load the other scene, change the surface preset...

That seems comically easy, now...
or am i missing something.....?

krimpr
11-05-2005, 02:01 PM
Well, maybe it's me that's missing something (it wouldn't be the first time for sure) but if you have a large object file with, say 40 surfaces on it that's alot of presets for one object to save. Multiply that by 20 or so objects and that's potentially 800 surfaces. Take a cityscape like Moebius87's Dystopia for example. As I said, maybe I'm missing a fundamental workflow issue here.