PDA

View Full Version : Surface baker optimisations?

aso3
11-05-2005, 04:40 AM
Hi,

I finally found Surface Baker, I thought Lightwave couldn't make lightmaps! Anyway, it produces nice results but its really slow (when using radiosity). I made a simple scene,
- an inverted box representing a hallway
- Everything textured and bumpmapped
- 3 area lights.
- Monte Carlo on 7x21 or something for Radiosity
- AA disabled
- Noise removal enabled

I know radiosity is hard but it takes ~16 hours to render this simple scene! How to get it faster and still having nice lightmaps?

Maybe there's already 1 'bug'. Each side in this box uses its own material. All these materials use a surface baker shader and the lightmap texture coordinates are stored in 1 Atlas UV map. So basically I need only 1 output image but the renderer calculated the lightmap for each surface again (which makes 4 the same output textures).

Greetings,
Rick

MooseDog
11-05-2005, 06:32 AM
Conceptually, Surface Baker is a life saver. In practice, as you've discovered, it brings your project to a halt.

Since it hasn't crashed on you, you've done the right thing in not having any n-gons in the scene. Maybe try making a copy of your scene as one flattened object. The other option is to bake the lighting to a vertex map. Works faster than baking to an image.

Here's to hoping that one day you could surface bake over a network too :goodluck: .

aso3
11-05-2005, 09:42 AM
That's a pity. I'm patient but this is ridiculous. I have tripled my object but one side of the cubes is missing (an opening to nowhere), maybe that's a problem as well. Anyway, I shall try your tips.

I can't use a vertex map though, the real reason I'm using this is to generate lightmaps for my engine (making some sort of game). Is it also possible to generate the lightmap only (so skip the rendering part, just make a lightmap)?

thanks!
Rick

Lamont
11-05-2005, 04:13 PM
Hi,
Maybe there's already 1 'bug'. Each side in this box uses its own material. All these materials use a surface baker shader and the lightmap texture coordinates are stored in 1 Atlas UV map. So basically I need only 1 output image but the renderer calculated the lightmap for each surface again (which makes 4 the same output textures).Apply the shader to one surface, and have it bake entire object.

Dodgy
11-05-2005, 05:51 PM
And justy cancel once it's done the map part, you don't have to let it full render..

toby
11-05-2005, 06:27 PM
Hi,

I finally found Surface Baker, I thought Lightwave couldn't make lightmaps! Anyway, it produces nice results but its really slow (when using radiosity). I made a simple scene,
- an inverted box representing a hallway
- Everything textured and bumpmapped
- 3 area lights.
- Monte Carlo on 7x21 or something for Radiosity
- AA disabled
- Noise removal enabled

I know radiosity is hard but it takes ~16 hours to render this simple scene! How to get it faster and still having nice lightmaps?

Monte Carlo at 7x21 is really high, 4x12 or 5x15 should be good enough, and render much, much faster. And I personnally don't like Shading Noise Reduction at all. If you take your baked lightmaps into Photoshop and apply a gaussian blur to them you'll get the same effect - shadows blurred regardless of where the light is, it's not accurate at all. It also makes the render take longer.

You could also try lowering the quality on your area lights, sometimes 3 is high enough, and renders faster.