PDA

View Full Version : Streaming STB?

Tarheel Cougar
11-04-2005, 04:13 PM
Can anyone recommend a low cost internet streaming set-top box or appliance to use with Tricaster (to receive the stream)? I'm sure using a computer running Windows media is probably the cheapest and easiest solution but was looking at ideas for closed-circuit style broadcasting over a LAN (or the internet) to a remote monitor or even live to a cable system. Any thoughts?

PIZAZZ
11-07-2005, 07:07 AM
Can anyone recommend a low cost internet streaming set-top box or appliance to use with Tricaster (to receive the stream)? I'm sure using a computer running Windows media is probably the cheapest and easiest solution but was looking at ideas for closed-circuit style broadcasting over a LAN (or the internet) to a remote monitor or even live to a cable system. Any thoughts?

We have been building some small form factor full blown VT4s that would work in this application. (but would be overkill, mind you)

I believe a Windows Media Center Edition would be the best route currently. You get the ability to watch a stream and also record it. MCE boxes also have great video output to feed into whatever you need to. My last MCE box has both DVI and Component Y, Y-r, Y-b outputs to patch the output from.

I believe the key is "IF" this box is going to be seen and not behind the scenes.... then make the box as appliance looking as possible. We build MCE machines out of cases that look like HIFI theater components not just another PC tower. This look increases the value I believe. I will attach some pics.

Shoot me an email and I will be glad to put some numbers together for you.

Tarheel Cougar
11-07-2005, 05:45 PM
Thanks, Jef! I sent you a PM. I forgot to attach my email address: [email protected]

Jared Amos