PDA

View Full Version : what codecs should i use ??

andy gee
11-04-2005, 03:54 PM
Hi everybody

i would like to know what codecs, people use to render out there animations

be it in lightwave, premeire or what ever

because im having a bit of trouble rendering out my final animation with

sound using the indeo 5.11 codec the quality isnt that great and i was

wondering what every body else was using ?

thanks Andy Gee

Silkrooster
11-04-2005, 04:34 PM
I am getting to really like quicktimes mpg4. Normally I will render to avi first to check the animation. for some reason I like windows media player better than quicktime. Once I am satisfied I will either load the sequence or the avi depending on the size of the animation, back into lightwave and render it as a mov file using mpg4 codec. If file size is too large I may skip the avi render or it maybe at a lower resolution.
The reason I am fond of this codec is the file size is usually much smaller and the quality is better than soreson 3(I know I spelled this codec wrong, I am not on my home system to check the spelling). Plus I have not had any complaints from Mac or PC users trying to view the animation.
Silk

DonAVP
11-04-2005, 04:43 PM
DIVX is a ripped mpeg4 codecs. http://www.divx.com/ Its free and does a good job (quality and size). The trouble with all codecs is that they need to be on the machine before they will play. I am talking about your customer's machine. If your final output is DVD or tape. Use what looks the best followed by file size on the harddrive. I am moving toward QT for the same reason that was posted above.

Just my 2cents worth.

jeremyhardin
11-04-2005, 05:51 PM
qt7pro and H.264. brilliant quality and filesize. then sorenson 3 for people who don't have qt7. then divx avi for people who don't have quicktime. then .mpg for everyone else. wmv is only for when i have no other option, and the standard .avi codecs are IMHO mediocre at best.

jeremyhardin
11-04-2005, 06:01 PM
also i should mention, i always render to an image sequence first so i can resume if it crashes and to maintain quality. then i convert to the above formats.

RedBull
11-04-2005, 06:56 PM
I change a lot, Sorenson sometimes, Have not tried Apples new H2.64 codec..
Divx sucks utterley, and to my surprise WMV is actually very effective for quality and filesize.... IMO...

I generally output to fullframes, and then output to the medium...
Be it PAL / HD / 2K and only use codecs for small test stuff, these days.

I used to love the MainCoincept MJpeg codec a lot... But these days computers are fast enough to preview full frames often enough anyway..

But if your putting stuff on the web, than Sorenson, or WMV...

toby
11-06-2005, 12:16 PM
The best quality-to-compatibility is with Sorenson3, it has less of a color-shift than Mpeg4 - imho ~

Hate WMV, you can't scrub at all, no frame-by-frame, if you even touch the timeline, you'll be sitting and waiting, and you can't open more than one file at a time.

jeremyhardin
11-06-2005, 12:55 PM
agreed about wmv. i hate that. why do they even include a clickable timeline?

Avebeno
11-06-2005, 02:14 PM
Andy,

When choosing a codec you need to know what the output is going to be used for. Is this for full screen video? keyable?, direct to a DVD?, a web page? for PC or Mac?

I like to use MJPEG-A for tests, DV-NTSC for work at home, DV50 when at work, Quicktime Animation Codec for archiving or delivery to someone else...

- Ben

Silkrooster
11-06-2005, 02:43 PM
Toby and Jeremy,
I don't know what you guys are talking about. The scrub line work perfect, I agree the frame by frame does not work with windows media player, but it does with Camtasia.
I would love to see Camtasia add multiple video time lines like Premier(but that is another issue). So if you can not do something with wmv odds are it is a software problem not a file format problem.
The only thing I really have against wmv is the lack of support on the Mac side. I do not know if Mac users are not aware of a mac version of windows media player or they are just totally against Microsoft(Please don't start a flaming war on MS now the issue is brought up).
Silk

RedBull
11-06-2005, 03:00 PM
Okay my secret weapon of choice here, is VLC videoplayer...

It's an opensource, crossplatform (Linux/Windows/Mac) free
multi format videoplayer, with realtime image filters like motionblur,
i can preview like 30 realtime animation previews with filters, at once
have many of them in slowmotion, and scrub quicktimes and windows media
all at once......It can encode and stream as well..

And it plays Windows Media / and quicktime to name just a few....

Which means Windows Media Player and to a lesser extent Quicktime are no longer needed for myself.....

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

toby
11-08-2005, 02:46 AM
Toby and Jeremy,
I don't know what you guys are talking about. The scrub line work perfect, I agree the frame by frame does not work with windows media player, but it does with Camtasia.
I would love to see Camtasia add multiple video time lines like Premier(but that is another issue). So if you can not do something with wmv odds are it is a software problem not a file format problem.
The only thing I really have against wmv is the lack of support on the Mac side. I do not know if Mac users are not aware of a mac version of windows media player or they are just totally against Microsoft(Please don't start a flaming war on MS now the issue is brought up).
Silk
I was going to try it again at work, just to be sure of what I'm saying, but wouldn't you know it? I can't even play a wmv... on a PC. I can't upgrade without admin privies, and MS gives f***-all about backwards compatibility. One version-up and everything is already trashed.

I have the WMplayer for the Mac, but it works worse than QT on a pc, not really worth bringing up here ~

jeremyhardin
11-08-2005, 08:19 AM
indeed. i was referring to my WM scrubbing problems on a pc, not a mac.

Silkrooster
11-08-2005, 03:30 PM
On my PC I have version 10. So some features may have been fixed. I do remember on an older version there was a problem with the scrub line, but I don't recall what version or file format. I think it was a streaming wmv or a mpg.
Silk

erikals
11-08-2005, 04:27 PM
Okay my secret weapon of choice here, is VLC videoplayer...

It's an opensource, crossplatform (Linux/Windows/Mac) free
multi format videoplayer, with realtime image filters like motionblur,
i can preview like 30 realtime animation previews with filters, at once
have many of them in slowmotion, and scrub quicktimes and windows media
all at once......It can encode and stream as well..

And it plays Windows Media / and quicktime to name just a few....

Which means Windows Media Player and to a lesser extent Quicktime are no longer needed for myself.....

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Yes, I tried this too. Very impressive player, I hope they continue adding codes to it and keep it the same quality. Plays many codecs, even the videoes I never got to work..

Never liked QT but many use it so you should also.
However, QT7 is buggy, + QT 7.0.3 has bug that lets users be able to enter your PC, be aware.