PDA

View Full Version : LW and ZBrush

gatz
11-04-2005, 02:20 PM
What's the outlook for LW letting Mac users make better use of Zbrush? Specifically 16 bit TIFF imports. Newtek has been silent on this but I'd love to find it a secret addition to 9.

It really a shame that LW's only connection to Zbrush is by way of users efforts. Without Lynx & Brak's Normal Displacement plugin you wouldn't even be in the game. This might be acceptable as a stop gap measure but we've had several revs and we're still dependant on the kindness of samaritan coders.

Of course sub-pixel displacement would also be nice. The bottom line is getting a dependable pipe line between Zbrush and LW.

Dodgy
11-04-2005, 04:52 PM
You can also save out 2 8bit images from zbrush and layer them to give the correct displacement I'm led to believe (by the documentation) though I've yet to try it. You might need to download the displacement saver from the zbrush web page though.

Dodgy
11-04-2005, 05:35 PM
I've tried it and I can't say at the mesh res I'm using I notice a big difference between the 8 bit major displacement map and a 16bit map which does both ranges. Maybe that's a useful way to go to keep poly counts down, and use the full 16bit map as a bump map on top...

BazC
11-05-2005, 01:10 AM
I think I heard during Siggraph that LW9 is designed to work with ZB, displacements and Normal mapping. - baz

kfinla
11-05-2005, 12:39 PM
hope so, ive been asking for better support between LW and Zbrush back in the spring. Zbrush is now able to output 32 bit maps.

awrieger
11-05-2005, 01:08 PM
I hope so too. Thanks for that bit of info, Baz.

jasonwestmas
11-05-2005, 04:28 PM
It says in the LW9 Features that it will support 'Zbrush Normal Maps'. I guess this may include Displacement maps as well.

BazC
11-06-2005, 01:17 AM
Thanks for the info Jason. It seems reasonable to assume, given that NT have made an effort to specifically support ZB normal maps and that the displacement system has had a complete overhaul (addition of adaptive subdivision) that LW9 and ZB 2 should play nice together. Bear in mind that Pixologic are making an effort to be more compatible with other apps too!

Hopefully NT have worked on .obj export too, it would be nice if LW would export UV info correctly! - baz

jasonwestmas
11-06-2005, 04:17 PM
BazC Wrote:
"Hopefully NT have worked on .obj export too, it would be nice if LW would export UV info correctly!"

I haven't used LW8 Modeler to export to .obj yet as I have just recently bought the upgrade to use the cool new animation tools. I would suggest if you are having problems exporting UV's to open your LW8 object in LW7 and then export from there. I haven't had any problems with LW7 .obj UV's in Zbrush.

Dodgy
11-06-2005, 04:34 PM
What problems have you had?

All i've had to do is assign the UV map to a channel in a surface and it exports fine..

kfinla
11-06-2005, 06:14 PM
"All i've had to do is assign the UV map to a channel in a surface and it exports fine"

hmm.. thanks dodgy ill try that. i wonder if that has anything to do with Geo not showing up in Maya either.

BazC
11-07-2005, 01:12 AM
What problems have you had?

All i've had to do is assign the UV map to a channel in a surface and it exports fine..

Hmm, this may have been my ignorance speaking, I thought you had to assign a texture, simply pointing LW to the correct UVs makes more sense. Thanks for the info! It would be nice if Lightwave used the .mtl file on import and produced one on export though! - Baz

Yup, selecting UVmap in surface editor works great, thanks Dodgy!

jasonwestmas
11-07-2005, 12:12 PM
It would be nice if Lightwave used the .mtl file on import and produced one on export though! - Baz

Yup, selecting UVmap in surface editor works great, thanks Dodgy!

Yeah, LW doesn't export .mtl files yet, but ZBrush does.

Dodgy
11-07-2005, 06:37 PM
Just looking at the .mtl file, it just seems to be a text file. I could easily make an importer/exporter for it I think.

BazC
11-08-2005, 01:28 AM
That would be cool Dodgy!

On a related note, any idea why the .obj importer is so slow? Files that other apps (Wings, Silo, Cinema, ZBrush) open in seconds take minutes (sometimes many!) in Lightwave. - Baz

Dodgy
11-08-2005, 03:25 AM
Would you have a file I could try out? Something as fully mapped as possible, and something just base colours etc if possible.

BazC
11-08-2005, 04:15 AM
Cheers, I'll see what I can find!

BazC
11-08-2005, 07:32 AM
Typical isn't it? I couldn't get any files to load as slowly as I've experienced before. In the past couple of weeks I've had a couple of largish models that took a good ten minutes or more to load. It may be that I fixed whatever Lightwave didn't like about them because one file which took ages to open in modeler loaded pretty briskly this time, not quite as fast as Cinema but fast enough!

Anyway, after some experimentation I created this file which was pretty sluggish, it was saved from UVMapper Classic and took 2m 15 secs to open in Layout and 2m 40s to open in Modeler. Cinema opened it in 22 secs.

Download zipped .obj file. (http://www.savefile.com/files/1066567)

jasonwestmas
11-08-2005, 12:41 PM
That would be cool Dodgy!

On a related note, any idea why the .obj importer is so slow? Files that other apps (Wings, Silo, Cinema, ZBrush) open in seconds take minutes (sometimes many!) in Lightwave. - Baz

I have no idea why Cinema would be able to open the file in less time. It could be just a compatability thing.

If you are talking in respect of millions of polys or even 10,000 polys, naturally, it will take an animation package a lot longer and take a lot more Ram to import an .obj that is 200+MB in size. Packages that only do modeling/painting are optimized to work with millions of polys where animation packages tend to be designed to deal with low poly cages that are subdivided using subdivision surfaces. Takes a **** of a lot of optimization and stripping of the features found in an Animation package to be able to work with millions of polys without SDS.

BazC
11-08-2005, 02:33 PM
I have no idea why Cinema would be able to open the file in less time. It could be just a compatability thing.

I'm beginning to think that you're right, I've just scoured my hard drive looking for .objs that cause problems and most of them open pretty quickly in LW.

The efficiency of the importer does have an effect though. Cinema's built in importer is very quick but has some major problems, it ignores the .mtl file (just like LW!) and changes the vert order. Consequently a number of .obj import plugs have been written and many of those are much slower.