PDA

View Full Version : Skydome... or cube?

Dirk
05-07-2003, 03:55 PM
When I use a skycube, I get a noticable error when I turn "Pixel blending" on (for the sky textures). But if I do not, the sky shows aliasing-pixilation (or whatever is the name for this?)

So I have to use a skydome instead? And what resolution would be good enough? (I'm using 1024 x 1024 right now for the cube)

Elmar Moelzer
05-07-2003, 05:05 PM
Try the following:
In modeler make a box with amyn subdivisions. Map your skycube on it. Now make a new endomorph ad use the spherize- command to make a ball from the cube. Should work fine. This is epcially handy when using baked skytracer- skys.
CU
Elmar

Dirk
05-08-2003, 01:32 AM
Hey, thanks. I'll try this.

John Fornasar
05-08-2003, 08:43 PM
In the SkyBaker panel, you can generate a spherical map instead of a skycube.
You won't need to use any poly's with it, it'll automatically map it as a backdrop in the Environment section under the Backdrop tab.
Do your Skybake at a fairly high resolution (I think the default is 512, which is pretty small).
You won't need to click Pixel Blending either, you only need that when you are getting real close to an object.

Jimzip
05-08-2003, 10:13 PM
Yeah, spherical map output is the way to go.
Although I have never used that in the environment tab, I should really do that. I've been mapping all my baked skies onto skydomes, and I always get this anoying line down one side of the sphere where the textures join. I though baked skies were horizontally tiled?!

Jimzip:D