PDA

View Full Version : Here they are - some finished scenes

DreamCatcher
11-04-2005, 08:37 AM
Hi guys,

I always followed everyone else's work through this forum and hesitated about posting my own.

But now I decided 'what the ****' let's give it a go. So here are a few scenes I recently finished. Feel free to give your opinion ...

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Dreamcatcher

GregMalick
11-04-2005, 03:16 PM
:eek: Speechless.

What can/will you teach us about getting such beautiful LW renders?

richdj
11-04-2005, 04:45 PM
Very cool indeed... post some wires please....

Rich

Demon
11-04-2005, 05:14 PM
well i guess its all about hdri. there has been a jack daniels tutorial on the net. the backgroundimmage is the same as the jack daniels tut. put a bit radiosity and voila...nice rendering...i just hope i am not mistaken :boogiedow :stumped:

cheers

DragonFist
11-04-2005, 11:03 PM
Awesome renders!

My only crit would be that on the Duvel one(top center photo from the view on my machine), it seems that the glass is floating a bit. But even in that one, the look is very closely photo-real. Nice work.

Best,

Shawn

DreamCatcher
11-05-2005, 03:04 AM
Thanks for your really nice comments, guys. Feels good!

I'll post some wires and tricks as soon as I get the time...

Cheers

DreamCatcher
11-06-2005, 04:14 AM
Hi guys,

It's sunday, so I have some time now...

richdj: some wires are attached... some meshes are triples cause I did tests with them in MaxwellRender... As you see, no special or fancy modeling...

Demon: you're right, I always use an hdri-image as a 'world map', but not always radiosity - it depends on the scene. The back that you recognize from de Jack-tut is the widely used kitchen-probe.hdri which is still one of the best (free) indoor hdri images available. If anyone knows of other good indoor hdri images (besides the ones on www.debevec.org), please let me know...

GregMalick: here are some tips to achieve better LW renders. Nothing shocking - stuff you probably already know
- always tint your lights slightly. I never use pure white.
- I only use area lights as my main lights that cast shadows. Small distant lights as fill lights. Spot lights for use with gobos.
- use gobos (light projection maps with spotlights) as much as possible. In all the scenes above, gobos are used, sometimes almost not visible, but they are there and give the scene something extra. I use mostly blurred grayscale images of interiors and trees...
- almost every surface has a bump, no matter how small
- use caustics wherever you can.
- use DOF! I like Digital Confusion the best.
- use reflection with Incidence Angle gradients
- in studio-setups (like the wine), I use an extruded splinecurve as a curved back - like in real studios - to get a nice gradient in the back.
- use weight maps to control your textures

That's it!
Thanks again for your comments...
Bye.

GregMalick
11-06-2005, 10:22 AM
Hi DreamCatcher,

Actually I have never used gobos before. I think I see them in the trees in the first image. Did you use them in the others to fake those table reflections/hotspots?

BTW, these are all so good, they look like a studio photographer did them.

Pooka
11-07-2005, 04:09 AM
Impressive work, DreamCatcher,

BTW. There is a Duch Lightwave community now. :)
http://www.lightwavers.org
Feel free to check it out.

Pooka

DreamCatcher
11-07-2005, 05:50 AM
Thanks Pooka (bedankt dus),

I'll register and join asap!!

DreamCatcher
11-08-2005, 01:58 AM
No, GregMalick, those table reflections/hotspots are 'real' (caustics & reflections). Gobos are used (barely visible) to give a scene a certain 'mood.

Cheers.

Mebek
11-08-2005, 11:02 AM
Very impressive. The one I like best is "the Blue Cafe" - can I see a wireframe of that one? I'm curious to know how much is modeled vs. texture.

Most of the techniques you mentioned are ones that I use, but I have never really used gobos in my scenes. I'll start messing around with them more. You say to use bump maps on every surface - even on the glass in the top right photo (as seen on my screen, might be second one down for others)?

DreamCatcher
11-15-2005, 05:23 AM
Hi Mebek,

The wireframe of 'the Blue Cafe' is one big mess cause everything is tripled for tests in Maxwell Render. But I can tell you the wall just has maps in the color, diffuse and bump channel. It's a photograph of a real wall I took in Italy somewhere and I couldn't resist using it in a 3D-scene.

And, yes you should use turbulence bump for glass (I go as low as 2 or 3%), so the light can 'play' with it...

Bye!

monovich
11-15-2005, 10:50 AM
really beautiful work here. I like the cafe and the mugs the best.

thanks for the tips on lighting and surfacing!