PDA

View Full Version : .bmp texture

SlipperyPenguin
11-04-2005, 04:46 AM
Hi..

Sorry if this seems a stupid question but..

Is it possible to use .bmp files as textures only if I go into the surface editor and load an image all it seems to accept are tga images. If I load a bitmap (select all file types and load the .bmp) nothing shows in the material editor.. like it hasn't loaded the bmp.

Sorry again if this is a stupid question but I can't seem the resolve this myself

Thanks

Slippery

BeeVee
11-04-2005, 06:06 AM
You can't use .bmps (horrible things that they are) but if you aren't getting other image types you need to repair your configs like so:

WARNING! This will kill any customisations you have made, so it's a good idea to use the editors to save menus and shortcuts.

1. Load the Layout portion of LightWave;
2. Hit Alt F11 (or go into the Utilities Tab and click on the Edit Plug-Ins button) and then the Scan Directory button and point it to your LightWave plugins folder. It will scan the plug-ins and give you a message like "xxx Plug-Ins found in xxx files.";
3. Hit Alt F10 (or go to the Edit menu and choose Edit Menu Layout) and change the Presets menu to LightWave 7.5. Return to it and change it back to Default;
4. Hit Alt F9 (or go to the Edit menu and choose Edit Keyboard Shortcuts) and change the Presets menu to LightWave 7.5. Return to it and change it back to Default;
5. Now quit LightWave and start Modeler from your new icon;
6. Repeat steps 3 and 4 but be aware that the Preset Menu will only offer LightWave 7.0;
7. Quit Modeler and quit Hub too.

B

SlipperyPenguin
11-04-2005, 06:28 AM
Thanks BeeVee..

Shame about not supporting bmps.

Basically I need to use bmp textures so that I can export as 3Ds and then convert this to ASE for import into some stuff I'm working on. Guess it'll be back to editing the ASE file manually then (if this will work !)

Does anyone know whether .bmp textures will ever be supported (they are a major format after all)

Thanks again

Slippery

Dodgy
11-04-2005, 06:32 AM
You can't use .bmps (horrible things that they are) but if you aren't getting other image types you need to repair your configs like so:
B

I think this should read you CAN use bmps, as I use the .bmp format all the time.

SlipperyPenguin
11-04-2005, 06:40 AM
Dodgy..

Do I need to do anything special to use them as textures (bmps that is) as like I said originally all I get is the option to use a tga. If I select a bmp it displays nothing in the materials editor.

Thanks

Slippery

BeeVee
11-04-2005, 06:55 AM
You need to repair your configs, and sorry yes, it should have been "can" - I'm just in a negative mood today... ;)

B

SlipperyPenguin
11-04-2005, 06:57 AM
Ok..

Thanks everyone..

I'll repair the configs and see how it goes.

Thanks again

Slippery

DonAVP
11-04-2005, 04:35 PM
Although BeeVee's config solution will work the simplest way to do it is move or delete you config's ( I would move them to another directory). Next start LW Layout and Modeler it will create a brand new config file for you. You may have to rescan you plugin's however. Delete the old configs if all is well.

Tim Parsons
11-07-2005, 09:06 AM
Why not just load the bmp.p file from the input-output plug-in folder? I only delete config files if Iím having unexpected crashes that Iím trying to resolve. (Which I have not had to do by the way since upgrading to version 8.)

Tim