PDA

View Full Version : S.o.s

T-Light
11-03-2005, 03:34 PM
Been having a rough few weeks. Lightwave started going a little weird a couple of weeks ago culminating in it spiralling out of control and doing everything including crashing when trying to load scenes to taking out the machine and needing a hard reset.

Anyway, decided to reinstall the whole kit and kaboodle when modeler started playing up and refused to load. After uninstalling LW and re-installing (back to the base 8.0) from the CD's, modeler still doesn't work.

If I try to load modeler, it will load the main screen including menus but before it shows the four default windows it quits, without warning and without error messages.

1) If I take out the dongle, it will load but obviously only in discovery mode.
2) Layout loads without problem in discovery mode and also loads fine in full mode when the dongle is inserted.

As I say, I've had a ton of problems recently (LW only) and have absolutely no idea what gives. I use LW on two machines, both of which have been going wonky recently and both have the same problem with modeler.

If it's a broken dongle issue why is Layout still working fine?

Any ideas would be much appreciated :o

ps I've also re-installed the dongle drivers to see if they may have been corrupted - no joy :(

edit-
psps Both machines were running 8.5, both are PC's (one is a laptop), both run Windows XP Pro, both have ATI cards, Neither are 64 bit.

Rory_L
11-04-2005, 01:14 AM
When you uninstalled did you delete your config files? Talking through my hat here, but the problem free Discovery Mode loading suggests something like that to me.

Dodgy, also north UK, has this to say on the subject; and he`s a man worth listening to.

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=42078

Sorry to hear you`re having problems. Hope this helps somewhat.

R

T-Light
11-04-2005, 05:24 AM
Thanks for the reply Rory, the configs where the first thing I looked into, no joy there either.

Stewdent101
11-04-2005, 05:58 AM
is it a parallel or usb dongle the reason i ask is before i upgraded to a usb 1 my parallel dongle became faulty and the only thing it really affected was modeller if i remember correctly layout was unaffected hope this helps

mattclary
11-04-2005, 06:02 AM
It sounds like a bad dongle to me. Mine died and I think the symptoms were the same. The fact that it does not crash when the dongle is not present pretty much confirms this. Layout probably just uses a slightly different routine. Pretty sure my problem was limited to modeler too.

gjjackson
11-04-2005, 06:03 AM
It's really hard to try and troubleshoot something remotely. I was check for any Ad/Spy ware and viruses. There are a couple worms recently that are destructive. It depends on what OS you're using. The new versions of XP and such have Data Execution Protection. Any new plugins installed, but if the config files deleted that should eliminate that. If you're going to do a reinstall I wouild completely delete the folders and go into the registry (Windows) and delete all references to Newtek etc. That's all I can think of.

T-Light
11-04-2005, 06:35 AM
Cheers gents :)

I'm really REALLY hoping it's not a dongle problem, it's a USB and it's not too old, I've rang Newtek Europe and they're going to get back to me this afternoon. In the mean time I'll take a look at the registry.

Thanks again.

T-Light
11-04-2005, 08:39 AM
Spoke to Ben this afternoon.

Looks like it is a dongle issue, so there sending out a replacement. Don't want to go all 'fanboy' here, but how incredibly amazing is that. :D

Thanks BeeVee, very much appreciated.

BeeVee
11-04-2005, 03:01 PM
My pleasure. Glad I could help. The dongle is sorted to be winging its way to you Monday.

B