PDA

View Full Version : Walk Cycle - workflow?

Dirk
11-03-2005, 01:40 PM
Hi,

what's the best way / workflow to create a walk cycle (just as an example); let's say the character shall walk down a street for 10 seconds.

Do I create a loop (on a spot) first and then add the motion? Shall the IK goal objects be parented to the character? should the IK motion in the loop be baked before going on? And how do I make this walk cycle re-usable?

thanks in advance

CB_3D
11-03-2005, 01:52 PM
search for Protons Walkcycle video, it should give you a good starting point.

SplineGod
11-03-2005, 02:43 PM
Any of those methods are valid. The problem with simply repeating motions is that it looks like repeated motions. To give a character some "character' you need to add some imperfections and variations to it.

Hoopti
11-03-2005, 05:38 PM
search for Protons Walkcycle video, it should give you a good starting point.

Hmmm.... Can't get the links in that message to pull up. I'm assuming it's the one at the 3dfestival.com site. That's showing that it's down and the name is up for sale.

Hoop

Dirk
11-03-2005, 06:57 PM
The walkcycle itself is not the problem. What I would like to know is the workflow after creating the walkcycle.

Assuming I have a walkcycle of a character (without actual movement of the character), and now I want to move the character on a path, without slipping feet, and, as SplineGod pointed out, with the ability to change the walkcycle slightly.

SplineGod
11-03-2005, 09:11 PM
You can do it by creating the walkcycle in place and then measuring the stride length. From that you can figure out how far he can move in so many seconds.
Move the character that far and the feet wont appear to slip.
You can use the graph editor or dopesheet to copy the keys to make it cycle for the proper length of time. You can also set the keys on any channels that are being animated to repeat and then select those channels and hit the b key in the graph editor to bake them. Once you do that you can go back and tweak things a bit.
Another way would be to setup the character so that the body autocenters between the IK goals for the legs. Doing that will allow you to simply walk the two IKGoals for the legs forward and have the body follow. You can also use the graph editor to repeat the movement on the IKGoals using offset repeat and then baking again. You can also bake the autocentered motion on the body using the b key in the graph editor. After filtering the keys you can go back and hand tweak the motions on the torso. If you dont want to bake things this way you can parent the character to a null called Manual control which is parented to another null called Autocenter control. The autocenter null will allow the character to walk forward easily while the manual control null will allow you to override the autocentered motions on the fly.
Again, lots of ways to do this. :)