PDA

View Full Version : Not at all happy

paul summers
11-03-2005, 01:37 PM
HI All

I have been using Lightwave 8.5 MAC for just over a two weeks now
and i must say that i am not at all happy and i am just about to give up.

lightwave 8.5 on my system is

1. Remarkably unstable

2. Lots of Bugs (But i can work around them and the bug-list here helps)

3. Random crashing from day to day

4. I am experiencing "unexpected" quits when trying to edit key-frames in the graph editor
and when using viper.

My system is a Apple DP G5 2gig ram GeForce FX 5200

If some one can help me setup lightwave to run stable it will help me

All my other Pro Apps run 100% on my system

FCP 4.5 HD
Adobe After Effects 6.5
CINEMA 4D R9.5
Photoshop CE

Thanks Paul

Darth Mole
11-03-2005, 02:22 PM
What kind of work are you doing? Are you using any 3rd party plug-ins? Do you have any apps running at the same time like iTunes? How much RAM do you have?

I've got LW8.5 and it's running not bad here (although I'm mainly modelling at the moment).

marlo.steed
11-03-2005, 02:34 PM
Hmm... Your system looks fairly clean. I don't see anything that might cause problems. It is interesting to note that some people report instability problems and others not. For me it is variable. If I try to use some of the more obscure features then I have more problems. Other times it will run smooth for awhile and then something will change and it seems to become more unstable (e.g. a change in OSX). Perhaps I have learned to avoid those features that give me problems or ...just given up on them (e.g. ground fog).

I would suggest running Lightwave in isolation (don't try using other major apps while you are using it). Note: in the past, I have had problems using iTunes while working on Lightwave.

I don't use the Graph editor extensively so I can't comment on that problem. However, I do try to use Viper with mixed results. Sometimes it works well and other times it doesn't seem to work at all. The usefulness of that tool seems to depend on the nature of the scene.

Have you upgraded to the latest version of OSX? 10.4.3? That seemed to fix some random quitting.

If all else fails, try a clean install.

Good luck.

toby
11-03-2005, 04:01 PM
Just checking, have you tried the delete-preference-file thing?

Hoopti
11-03-2005, 05:32 PM
Along those same lines, make sure you've rescanned your plugin directory too. That's gotten rid of a great deal of problems as well.

Hoop

paul summers
11-08-2005, 09:21 AM
but i still find it Remarkably unstable (8.5 lightwave mac )

I would like to here from NEWTEC RE ALL THIS

toby
11-08-2005, 10:06 AM
Also try disabling the Hub, just move the Hub app out of the Programs folder. This almost always improves stability.

bbuxton
11-08-2005, 08:54 PM
LightWave 8.5 rarely crashes here (except if I do something silly with fPrime open).

You could try a clean install, turn off anti-virus software (remove anything to do with Norton, biggest cause of mysterious crashes ever). Also don't scan directory when adding plug ins, better to add a few at a time using add plugin (shift select multiple plug ins).

Lightwave 8 through 8.5 is very robust when set up correctly. If you're new to Lightwave, just start slowly with something simple whilst you get used to the workflow. If at first you have a few problems....save often & stay cool!

BB

Darth Mole
11-09-2005, 04:53 AM
What exactly are trying to do? If it's really simple modelling/texturing than your system's fried because LW8.5 is (not quite but almost) rock solid here on an identical set-up. The only crashes I've had recently are when I'm adding/changing texture maps with FPrime open - and LW has always been funny about trying to edit files it's using while its running.

If you're trying to do character animation on billion-poly sub-patch objects, then maybe you're just running out of RAM or something. You might have a plug-in that's slightly corrupt, or a bad file. Until you tell us, it's hard to pinpoint the problem!

paul summers
11-09-2005, 01:12 PM
Hi Darth Mole
Thanks for the help

1. What exactly am i trying to do?

A Story-board for a pop promo blue screen shoot SD.
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/images/attach/jpg.gif
set up camera movements then render out frames

I do have FPrime which is the reason i got lightwave and i will buy G2
if i can get lightwave to run stable on my system.

Here is a list of things that seem to random crash my system.

1. Adding/changing textures with viper running.

2. Using the graphic editor setting curves and key frames.

3. Adding/changing texture and maps then load up the preset manager.

4. lighting with viper.

It is working better now with the hub turned off
but not 100%

Yours Paul