PDA

View Full Version : help please

smmuck
11-02-2005, 09:15 PM
hello, does anyone know how to delete surfaces (in the surface editor)? I have some I need to get rid of some.
thanx
sm :D

Silkrooster
11-02-2005, 09:46 PM
Make sure the surface name is not being used, then save and reload the scene. (Actually I should say save the objects, since the surface information is stored with the objects) The surface names should now be gone.
Silk

jpaugh78
11-02-2005, 09:46 PM
If you save your project, close it, then re-open it, all the surfaces that no longer have any polys or verts will be deleted automatically. To my knowledge thats the only way to remove a surface. *Dang, he beat me to it* :tongue:

smmuck
11-02-2005, 10:09 PM
ok, that was easy! Although I think they should consider a delete button so you can clean up your surface editor without having to close the object and reopen it.
Thanx alot
sm :thumbsup:

Hoopti
11-03-2005, 06:46 PM
ok, that was easy! Although I think they should consider a delete button so you can clean up your surface editor without having to close the object and reopen it.
Thanx alot
sm :thumbsup:

For doofs like me, I'm kinda glad they don't have a surface delete key. Then I'd be tempted to use it, and at some time, after spending hours getting my texture just right, I'd delete the wrong surface. Then I'd have to buy a new computer and monitor because I would have thrown them out the window. I'd be sued by the person the computers hit when the computers got to where they were going once airborne. I'd have nightmares about how badly I changed and affected someone's life in a negative way, so much to a point I'd probably commit suicide, leaving my wife alone and without a source of income, making her ultimately become a homeless person living on the streets subject to the generosity of strangers. All of this because of the addition of one button just isn't worth the cost!

Ok, probably overplayed the results, but the feeling of WANTING to throw the computer out the window would definitely be there at some point in time because you just know it's gonna happen.

Hoop

RedBull
11-03-2005, 07:41 PM
Yes it's annoying....

LW 5+ has a flush surfaces button, which does exactly what you ask, and is very missed by myself... As is the 5x surface previews.... Removed in LW6+

But yes bring back the flush surfaces button, which would flush the
surface editor, of unused surfaces..... Rather than having to reload the object or scene...... Stoopod, 2 steps forward 1 step back...
or 2 features added, and 1 taken away.....

Silkrooster
11-03-2005, 08:35 PM
I don't know Hoop,
I think you could go through the same thing if you closed down layout and realized you did not save the objects. I hear of more people not using the hub. So this is could very easily happen.
Silk

RedBull
11-03-2005, 09:13 PM
For doofs like me, I'm kinda glad they don't have a surface delete key. Then I'd be tempted to use it, and at some time, after spending hours getting my texture just right, I'd delete the wrong surface. Then I'd !
Hoop

The irony in that Hoop, is that Lightwave already allows you to "Remove Layer(s) at the touch of a button, so you can lose hours of texturing already....
(and that does make you work smarter)

5.x has a 5 sample surface preview, so you could tweak, without fear of losing surfaces (you could make 5 mistakes, before restoring the original)

What you can't lose in 7.x and 8.x are the left over surfaces that you have merged or renamed..... Which obviously is totally useless... (you have to reload)

5.x also had the "flush unused surfaces" which would only delete those surfaces that are not being used or attached to any objects....
It did not delete surfaces in use..

Weird 5.x never needed the flush surfaces command, because it was done automatically...... So in 6.x the removed that command, but LW NEVER
flushes it anymore! Grroooooooooaaaaaaaaaaannnnn!

Hoopti
11-06-2005, 12:24 PM
I don't mind the flush surface button, that's different than a delete button. I could see myself accidentally hitting a delete key much easier than I could make a conscious choice to flush unsued surface names from the program. I'd support the flush key.

And I do run the hub, just for the reason you mentioned, just in case. That's the only reason I still run the hub, otherwise it'd be gone.

Hoop