PDA

View Full Version : Texture help please

DMarkwick
11-02-2005, 06:57 AM
While messing around with tileable textures I'm making, I decided I would try adding some procedural details to complement the image texture deatails. As you can see from the image, I have a colour map and a bump map.

What I would like is to add some high frequency noise in the dark areas of the bump map (the dirt between the paving slabs) and some low frequency noise in the light areas (the paving slabs). So I have the texture bump map, and I add a procedural noise, how do I use the bump map to mask out areas of effect for the new layer?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/DMarkwick/mgtexture00211rg_rendertest1.jpg

MonroePoteet
11-02-2005, 09:31 AM
I've done something similar by copying the bump map texture to another image and boosting its contrast and brightness until (in this case) the cracks are very dark and the slabs are very bright. Then, convert to grayscale and use it as an Alpha Blend Mode layer to effect the slabs, and use Invert Layer to effect the cracks.

In the Surface Editor, an Alpha Blend Mode layer "passes" the layer just below it in the list based upon the value in the texture.

mTp

DMarkwick
11-02-2005, 10:17 AM
Heh, yeah I looked in the manual & there was my answer :D

Whaddya know. I learned something from the manual ;) :D

Thanks for the reply.