PDA

View Full Version : same action, different times?

objuan
11-02-2005, 01:28 AM
So I have this crystal setup, with 1 null that travels up the Y with a clip map revealing the edges, and a 2nd null that uses channel follower to chase the 1st one and reveal the glass. I also have several textures attached to the nulls to create an edge.

Great, I like it.

Now what I want to do is clone this whole rig a bunch of times, put the crystals in different places, and have them grow out at different times.

Not too easy! I cloned the hierarchy and my second crystals clip maps, channel follower and textures all still look at the 1st crystals info. If I'm gonna have a bunch of these I don't want to have to go change everything for each crystal. Furthermore it occurs to me that I can't change the textures without changing them for all the crystals since they're all the same surface.

How can I do this without having to save 50 of the same object and painstakingly set each one up? Any help would be much appreciated.

jeanphi
11-02-2005, 02:32 AM
You can use the old technic:

Save a scene with only your model full riged.
Start a new scene (or load your render scene) and use load from scene as many times as you need to have a "clone".
Then modify evry "clones" as you need and save them as differents objects.

evenflcw
11-02-2005, 10:45 AM
Not sure if the following will work. I suppose it might depend on how you rigged the original crystal. But you could displace the control nulls via a procedural texture, using Texture Motion modifier, set to world coordinates or tied to a reference object. This would offset the start and end positioning and maybe even vary the speed (since procedurals are 3 dimensional) of each null since each crystal is at a different location.

You could use the same technique (world coordinate procedural) to differantiate the textures aswell. To make each crystal a unique color I guess you would use a procedural + gradient set to previous layer (+ world coord).

EDIT: Uhm... when you clone the crystals they still reference the same null, don't they? Not their respective nulls? Disregard the above.

Same idea still applies. Forget all about displacing the nulls and instead control all crystals from the same null, but set all textures on the original crystal to use World Coordinates or tie them to a reference object.

Not sure if this is works for clipmaps though.

objuan
11-03-2005, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the tips, I fell in love with clone hierarcy and totally forgot about load from scene, good thing she still loves me even though I done her wrong.

I seem to recall saying this before, and I'll say it again:
WE NEED a means of modifiying surfaces per object copy with in Layout!

It could work just like it does, where surfaces are saved with the object, but if you click a little button for an object or instance, then you can modify it's textures and they are saved with the scene. Wouldn't that be nice.
WHO'S WITH ME?

and also we need to be able to define the start time of the same animated texture individually for each instance.