PDA

View Full Version : Tools that works properly with layers

Lewis
11-01-2005, 03:39 PM
Hi !

I'd like that modeler tools work properly (as expected) with multiple layers selected :).

Right now when you work on model in layers (usually higher poly models due slow OpenGL in modeler) you can't use all tools while you have multiple layers selected.

For instance when I have 2-3 layers selected (of 15 or so) and when i select some polys to start shifting and beveling some tools work and some don't.

Multishift Don't work when 2 or more layers are selected (no matter if you actually work only on polygons form one layer), Same thing is for Rounder and maybe few other tools (I can't remeber all of them right now). While in same time smooth shift work with multy selected layers, Also edge bevel/bevel and many other tools. If you select just layer where are selected polys all works fine.

We need to have all tools react on same "proper" way, multishift even don't give you any error message if you run it on multy selected layers so you actually don't know why it's not working (rounder gives somekind of error message so you can asume something is wrong)

cheers and thanks

mkiii
11-02-2005, 02:45 AM
I'll second that.

(One more needed to carry the motion)

lardbros
11-02-2005, 06:46 AM
Thirded from me too!!

and also want all tools to work with SYMMETRY activated. Weld tool is useless, and bandsaw, and those are the ones off the top of my head.

evenflcw
11-02-2005, 11:34 AM
Obviously I agree aswell.

I wonder if it would be possible to code the core so plugins wouldn't even need the extra bit of code* to be able to handle different situations such as multiple layers and symmetry mode? I imagine the core would simply control the plugin to perform it's function on each layer (or -x and +x for that matter) seperatly, one after the other, instead of trying to do them all at the same time.

*To my own experience this (proofing the plugin to work in all kinds of situations) is the least fun part of coding scripts. If NT could somehow make it so these things work automagically all native and 3rd party tools (old or new) would suddenly be alot more usable and alot of LWavers, users and developers, would be much happier. :)

Lewis
11-02-2005, 11:46 AM
Interesting idea - evenflcw :)

But i guess only NT knows can they do it that way ;).

Matt
11-02-2005, 05:53 PM
The other one for me is making more tools aware of which viewport you're dragging in, some they work the opposite way to how you visually expect them to, multi-shift seems to have this sorted, be nice if all the other tools worked this way too!

evenflcw
11-02-2005, 07:59 PM
I think what you have been experiencing has just been coincidental or I'm completely missunderstanding you. Most tools just look if your dragging your mouse up-down or right-left and perform the operation mapped to either. Unless you're always beveling/multishifting up the Y axis it will not be a natural mapping (visually).

You still have a point though. Some tools, such as SmoothShift brake the mold mapping it's shift operation to mouse-move-right, instead of mouse-move-up which otherwise is the norm (Bevel, Multishift etc).

Perhaps it would be nice with an alternate implementation that was less rudimentary (always the same, despite the circumstances) and acctually tried to make the mapping more natural (if your mainly shifting along the X axis you also move the mouse along that axis to shift). Then again that's what handles are for and it won't work comfortably without them since they provide important visual feedback and/or something to click-and-drag. :)