PDA

View Full Version : Mule for rendering?

Z_Render_8
11-01-2005, 03:01 PM
Is this software worth getting for network rendering? What would be another choice of software to look into? Thanks

Hoopti
11-01-2005, 08:04 PM
Butterfly Net Render is our choice here. Great product, outstanding support, and it also has the capability to handle more than LW if you buy the pro version.

http://www.liquiddreamsolutions.com/

Hope this helps.

Hoop

Z_Render_8
11-01-2005, 08:45 PM
I wasn't aware of the different choices you have. At the moment I have 2 computers and another one on the way. I do like the fact the Pro addition also does Maya.

I am not sure on what pro package to get the 5 or 15 nodes. :stumped: Other than the amount of nodes you can use, is there any else that is different between the 2 packages? Is the BNR software easy to use?

Thank Hoop for the link!!!!! :dance:

martywalker
11-01-2005, 10:04 PM
yeah it's pretty easy to setup. nothing really that tricky apart from getting your drive mappings worked out. download the demo and give it a whirl.

regards

Z_Render_8
11-02-2005, 09:26 AM
Yeah I will defenitly give the demo a try.

:help: I still need to fix my PC networking problem first. For some reason, computer "Render 1" sees computer "Render 2" But the second computer does not see Render 1. When I did the screamnet set up a few weeks ago, I had only one CPU showing. :stumped:

I am using a linksys router to connect the 2 together. I did check all permissions and I think I have everything turn on as far as sharing. I had a project coming up so I gave up. :cry:

I do have some understanding with networking, but this is the first time I will be using the computers to render on the network. I have some time now and would like to get this up and running since I have another computer on the way.

But not sure how to get the computers network properly for rendering work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Safe Harbor
11-02-2005, 01:04 PM
You can download a demo of MULE at http://www.epicsoft.net/products/mule/

paulhart
11-02-2005, 05:52 PM
In the discussion of Render Tools, until Newtek upgrades the process, I have been using Amleto. It sets up easily, works fine, handles two processors in the demo mode and is not that expensive for the multiple processor version. Highly recommended, installs itself and locates resources. Take a look, works for me.
Paul :dance:

AbnRanger
11-03-2005, 12:49 AM
Yeah I will defenitly give the demo a try.

:help: I still need to fix my PC networking problem first. For some reason, computer "Render 1" sees computer "Render 2" But the second computer does not see Render 1. When I did the screamnet set up a few weeks ago, I had only one CPU showing. :stumped:

I am using a linksys router to connect the 2 together. I did check all permissions and I think I have everything turn on as far as sharing. I had a project coming up so I gave up. :cry:

I do have some understanding with networking, but this is the first time I will be using the computers to render on the network. I have some time now and would like to get this up and running since I have another computer on the way.

But not sure how to get the computers network properly for rendering work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
This may sound overly simplistic....but I had the same problem as you when I set my network up a while back. I spent hours trying to pin-point what was wrong. I was at wits end...then I found (on a website that covered network troubleshooting tips) that you REALLY need to turn off your firewall (s) ...including XP's default firewall, and any antivrus software (go into Windows Control Panel>Performance & Maint.>Administrative Tools>Services and make sure all the components to those programs are stopped and disabled)....THEN re-do your setup wizard on each machine. What's happening is that one of your PCs is being blocked by the firewall (cause it's doing it's job actually).

I did that, and it worked like a charm! Maybe that's all there is to it with you situation as well.

Z_Render_8
11-03-2005, 12:08 PM
This may sound overly simplistic....but I had the same problem as you when I set my network up a while back. I spent hours trying to pin-point what was wrong. I was at wits end...then I found (on a website that covered network troubleshooting tips) that you REALLY need to turn off your firewall (s) ...including XP's default firewall, and any antivrus software (go into Windows Control Panel>Performance & Maint.>Administrative Tools>Services and make sure all the components to those programs are stopped and disabled)....THEN re-do your setup wizard on each machine. What's happening is that one of your PCs is being blocked by the firewall (cause it's doing it's job actually).

I did that, and it worked like a charm! Maybe that's all there is to it with you situation as well.

You know somebody told me try turning off the firewall. :foreheads Thank you I will try that. Hopefully very soon!

At the time I was very busy and didn't have the time to play around with the networking. :cursin: For the past month I converted my old bedroom into an office. So I need to reconnect my networking gear, again. :grumpy:

I will be back, if I still have trouble. I really need to get this going!! 8~

Thanks for the info! :rolleyes:

Z_Render_8
11-03-2005, 12:11 PM
You can download a demo of MULE at http://www.epicsoft.net/products/mule/

In the discussion of Render Tools, until Newtek upgrades the process, I have been using Amleto. It sets up easily, works fine, handles two processors in the demo mode and is not that expensive for the multiple processor version. Highly recommended, installs itself and locates resources. Take a look, works for me.
Paul :dance:

Thank you for the info. I am going to try the demo version of BNR and/or Mule first and see how it goes.

Z_Render_8
11-05-2005, 05:00 PM
I was at wits end...then I found (on a website that covered network troubleshooting tips) that you REALLY need to turn off your firewall (s) ...including XP's default firewall, and any antivrus software (go into Windows Control Panel>Performance & Maint.>Administrative Tools>Services and make sure all the components to those programs are stopped and disabled)....THEN re-do your setup wizard on each machine. What's happening is that one of your PCs is being blocked by the firewall (cause it's doing it's job actually).

I just finish setting up the networking on the computers today. Well, That did it. I had to turn off the firewall on both machines. They see each other!! :boogiedow

It is strange when the firewall was on, that only one of the computers was still able to copy and write to the other computer. But yet the second computer couldn't do anything. Oh well, just glad I have working. Looking back, I do feel stupid that all it was. :grumpy: Thanks for the tip!

The only thing I would like to ask, is it really necessary to redo the network wizard? It seem my workgroup is working and able to share the files.

I guess I am ready to try the BNR, will download the trail version to check it out. I hope setting up BNR is just as easy. Let you know if I have any trouble! Thanks again!! AZ :hey:

xaxis8
11-07-2005, 09:08 AM
I guess I am ready to try the BNR, will download the trail version to check it out. I hope setting up BNR is just as easy. Let you know if I have any trouble! Thanks again!! AZ :hey:

Hey Z!

I have been follow this thread to see how you did. I downloaded the pro version as well. The BNR controller is working but no additional nodes are being pick up. Is your working? Because I need some :help: here!!!

Z_Render_8
11-07-2005, 11:25 AM
:cry:
Hey Z!

I have been follow this thread to see how you did. I downloaded the pro version as well. The BNR controller is working but no additional nodes are being pick up. Is your working? Because I need some :help: here!!!

Yes!! I finally got it. :boogiedow However, the trial version only supports 1 render node, I wasn't aware of this. :foreheads Thank you, Paul Lord, Liquid Dream Solutions

Also be sure the node IP address is the BNR Controller IP address and not the node machine IP address. My mistake here. Thank you Marty for the schematic of your layout. That did help out!!!! :thumbsup:

So if you want to test the second computer, you will need to close the render node on the first computer and Remove the entry in the Render node list in the BNR Controller. Then you will see the second node in the active list. I hope this help, axis.

****! I was hoping to see what my 2 CPUs can do. :cry: Well I guess that why it is a trial package. Need the real thing. :rolleyes:

paulhart
11-07-2005, 02:20 PM
As I had noted before, Amelto is good for three CPU's in the demo mode, but needs a license for more CPU's. I have a license for 5, (the first increment), as I have a dual CPU work station, and occasionally I have had a third node or two available. It works fine for the two CPU's on my station, and the others when needed. I just checked, and noted that it is a 14 day demo, then works in the restricted mode noted above after that. Take a look, works for me.

NodalIdeas (http://www.nodalideas.com/amleto/index.html)
Paul

Z_Render_8
11-07-2005, 03:30 PM
As I had noted before, Amelto is good for three CPU's in the demo mode, but needs a license for more CPU's. I have a license for 5, (the first increment), as I have a dual CPU work station, and occasionally I have had a third node or two available. It works fine for the two CPU's on my station, and the others when needed. I just checked, and noted that it is a 14 day demo, then works in the restricted mode noted above after that. Take a look, works for me.

NodalIdeas (http://www.nodalideas.com/amleto/index.html)
Paul

I will definitely try it now. Doesn't hurt to try other packages! I thought with BNR you could test 2 CPUs and try it out. It is a setback that you can't. :grumpy:

I am a little disappointed that Lightwave is a process to set up the screamernet. I mean Vue was a piece of cake!

However, I bet the screamernet would work now for me since all I needed to do was turn of the firewall. I did manage to get one of the CPU's to be recognized by the screamernet controller. I couldn't get the second one going. But I removed all the config files and reinstall LW at the time I was struggling with it. Oh well. :cursin:

Thanks again Paul for reminding me about Amleto.

xaxis8
11-07-2005, 06:32 PM
:cry:

Yes!! I finally got it. :boogiedow However, the trial version only supports 1 render node, I wasn't aware of this. :foreheads Thank you, Paul Lord, Liquid Dream Solutions

Also be sure the node IP address is the BNR Controller IP address and not the node machine IP address. My mistake here. Thank you Marty for the schematic of your layout. That did help out!!!! :thumbsup:

So if you want to test the second computer, you will need to close the render node on the first computer and Remove the entry in the Render node list in the BNR Controller. Then you will see the second node in the active list. I hope this help, axis.

****! I was hoping to see what my 2 CPUs can do. :cry: Well I guess that why it is a trial package. Need the real thing. :rolleyes:

Thanks Z for clearing this up. I see it now.

I know this is somewhat off topic because it is not a LW issue, I am having trouble working the rendercow for Vue and I can't click on the hypervue button.

I see you were able to render with vue on the network! Hope you dont mind me asking you this?

Z_Render_8
11-07-2005, 08:42 PM
Thanks Z for clearing this up. I see it now.

I know this is somewhat off topic because it is not a LW issue, I am having trouble working the rendercow for Vue and I can't click on the hypervue button.

I see you were able to render with vue on the network! Hope you dont mind me asking you this?

:thumbsup: No problem,

First, I am not sure how you installed Vue. Just so you know the RenderCow is a second installation application. You will need to install the Rendercow on each computer that is to participate in the network rendering. Setting up the RenderCows is very similar to BNR, just enter the IP address in the render nodes and your done. I use the default port number.

BTW, I am still new with Vue, so I will explain the rendering part as best as I can. I recommend downloading the reference manual from e-on site under support. It covers a lot of information.

Launch Vue and right click the render options button to bring up the menu. Please be aware you can not always use the HyperVue on all of the output settings, not sure why. Also you need to set the render destination to screen. It will not highlight the HyperVue command when set to main view.

Once highlighted, check the HyperVue, click render and you will see the manager. Look very much like BNR, right.

That is pretty much how you launch the HyperVue. It will show all the Render nodes that are available for rendering.

Also when rendering an animated scene you Left click on the Render animation button below the main view port. This will bring up the options for rendering a movie. All of your settings are here. Please note the HyperVue option is also there.

I hope this help. If you have any trouble you can send me a message.

Cheers,

AZ

xaxis8
11-08-2005, 01:09 PM
Thanks a million, ZZZZ! :dance: I didnt install the rendercow when setting up vue for the first time. I see how the Hypervue network work now, yes almost looks like BNR. Work great! Thanks for the information! very helpful!!! :bowdown:

joschy
11-14-2005, 09:01 AM
We use for lw network rendering spider:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SXSpider

Itīs installed as a service and pick automaticllly all nodes which are avaible.

Great piece of software and itīs free.

joschy

Z_Render_8
11-14-2005, 12:31 PM
We use for lw network rendering spider:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SXSpider

Itīs installed as a service and pick automaticllly all nodes which are avaible.

Great piece of software and itīs free.

joschy

Thanks for the info.

Luv2Anim8
05-09-2006, 10:07 PM
MULE is a god send.. pure and simple! I have been yelling from the mountain top about this program because it has saved my *** so many times I cant count...

good luck in your findings

Peace

Z_Render_8
05-11-2006, 07:37 PM
MULE is a god send.. pure and simple! I have been yelling from the mountain top about this program because it has saved my *** so many times I cant count...

good luck in your findings

Peace

I like both BNR and Mule. Both are very easy to use, where Mule was definitely the easier one, I think. When the time is right I need to decide which program would be best for me as far as license cost for multi-CPUs.

At the moment I only have a total of 4 CPUs, but looking to get more. I may need to check upgrades or addon packages as well.

Not sure if Mule support Maya where BNR does. I may need to consider that to my rendering pipeline. I need to check their website soon. However I have been hearing alot about exporting maya scenes into Lightwave for rendering.

Also thinking about upgrading the (2)althons PCs to 64bit OS but but sure how it will effect my other programs. Still waiting on LW 9 release next month.

I have been so busy doing a non 3d project I haven't touch LW since Jan!! :eek: Miss my 3d.

So many decisions and very little time.