PDA

View Full Version : please change the interface

adrielmejor2005
11-01-2005, 07:30 AM
The actual interface is so old and rigid, i think it may be entirely rewritted, lose the lwpanels, to look something more like modo, without fu#@ing icons, i think a large number of the crashes are produced by interface. But NEVER make a "windows like" interface as max or maya have, please.
And please merge the similars tools like multishift, smoohth shift, supershift in "shift" that combines all functionality of these tools.

Hoopti
11-01-2005, 08:45 PM
What's rigid about a fully configurable interface (other than color) that is clean and neat (although not modern looking), allowing the creation of specific tabs for specific processes and needs? The panels are easy to use and don't clutter up the space. If you have to have them open, have a decent size resolution (I use 1600 X 1200) and keep them continually parked. I even do that with the graph editor when working in a mode where I need it open constantly in Layout.

I'm not clear on this one. I do own Modo, and find the LW interface much more friendly than that one. Perhaps its just habit.

Hoop

habaņero
11-01-2005, 09:52 PM
I think what has been shown of LW9 interface looks very promising. I would though if at all possible have back the LW 7 and backwards buttons. To me, those new extra pixels in 8 are noise, they make the text harder to read, and they don't look as good in my opinon.

BazC
11-02-2005, 02:02 AM
The actual interface is so old and rigid, i think it may be entirely rewritted, lose the lwpanels, to look something more like modo, without fu#@ing icons, i think a large number of the crashes are produced by interface. But NEVER make a "windows like" interface as max or maya have, please.
And please merge the similars tools like multishift, smoohth shift, supershift in "shift" that combines all functionality of these tools.

Sorry but I think the LW interface is one of the most flexible I've used! Even the mouse assigned pop up menus are configurable!

I suppose it does look a bit dated but that doesn't affect it's functionality.

Anyway, wait for LW9 and I think you will be pleasantly surprised both by the appearance and streamlining of the toolset! - Baz

Mylenium
11-02-2005, 03:48 AM
Sorry but I think the LW interface is one of the most flexible I've used! Even the mouse assigned pop up menus are configurable!

I guess it depends... Once you've worked with Maya or modo you will not be so sure about that. Still, in comparison to some other programs it's not that bad and they are working on making it more configurable with every release (e.g. more keyboard shortcuts).

I suppose it does look a bit dated but that doesn't affect it's functionality.

Well, ugly is more like it. I don't know if it's "dated" - after all, it has tabs, dynamic buttons etc., some things that you cannot even do with Windows own API. It's just that it isn't very stylish and a lot of the potential is given away. Personally I find that the buttons always look oversized and the arrangement of the panels and parameters could really need some re-structuring. Well, and yeah, the current color theme is terrible. If nothing else, the option to get rid of this light blue easily is one thing I look forward to.

Mylenium

ibanezhead
11-02-2005, 05:26 AM
:agree: please update the interface. Give us options to have icons, or text. Make it so we can dock the panels into the interface or into viewports like Maya, and everything be modular like Modo, or C4D. Please add drop down menus that you can tear off. And please add the ability to drag commands into a storage space in the interface like the Maya shelf. This is so we can reuse commands easily, and save them off as a script for later use, making them into keyboard shortcuts, or a permanent part of the interface...

Also, it woud be great if you guys would update the actual look of the interface with just a totally new sleek modern style.

BazC
11-02-2005, 06:53 AM
"I guess it depends... Once you've worked with Maya or modo you will not be so sure about that."

True, I've never used either app but the only feature I can think of that is lacking is dockable windows and I believe they are coming in LW9?

"Well, ugly is more like it."

Well that's a matter of taste isn't it? Personally I hope they don't change it too much. I like the muted colours and plain appearance. Most 3d apps look cluttered in my opinion. Still I'll welcome the ability to change colours easily but again I suspect this is coming in LW9

XSI looks like an updated Lightwave to me, I like the feel of that interface but I would hate to see LW going in a Maya or Cinema direction! - Baz

Mebek
11-02-2005, 03:59 PM
I for one like the current interface in 8. When I first upgraded from 5.6 to 6, it took me a while to get used to it, but now it feels like there's more room on the screen for the important stuff. And I agree that it is extremely flexible.

The only thing I don't like is how so many of the really useful commands come by default in the "Additional" menu from he- er, hades. The default arrangement makes no sense to have half the buttons hidden away. In fact, the Map tab was completely empty! But an afternoon of modifying the menu layout and restoring all the keyboard shortcuts that I've come to know by heart, and it's running smooth. I'm constantly defining my own tabs and rearranging them to be more "aerodynamic" in the creation process. No other program I've used is this configurable. I would agree to a point of letting the user define his or her own colors though. I don't mind them, but customization is important and it seems like it would be easy enough.

jeremyhardin
11-02-2005, 04:47 PM
appearance preference is rather subjective as to what is 'ugly' and what is not. but i agree some more flexibility would be nice.

the good ol' VX project made some excellent suggestions in both the aesthetics and flexibility of the interface, but Newtek haven't commented much on it's potential use.
http://www.creactive-design.co.uk/lightwave_vx/

Dodgy
11-02-2005, 05:19 PM
It would be handy if more people used the ability (it is in there!) to assign their plugins to particular menus. I'm not sure you can do this in lscript, but I've definitely seen it in the sdk, and some plugins using it.

krimpr
11-02-2005, 05:22 PM
Personally I like the interface the way it is. (7.5 was my favorite.) Changing the text buttons to icons would save me alot of money because I'd stop upgrading. :thumbsdow Well, maybe not but I'd spit.

jeremyhardin
11-02-2005, 05:40 PM
It would be handy if more people used the ability (it is in there!) to assign their plugins to particular menus. I'm not sure you can do this in lscript, but I've definitely seen it in the sdk, and some plugins using it.

how do you mean, "assign their plugins to particular menus"?

do you mean that a custom plugin would call existing menu items? or that the plugins put themselves in the existing menu system automatically? sorry, i'm just not clear on what you mean.

spirit_of_stars
11-02-2005, 05:51 PM
HI!

habaņero said [ I think what has been shown of LW9 interface looks very promising ].

There is any place to see LW9 interface....?

RedBull
11-02-2005, 07:04 PM
I love to hate the interface, i'd love a change and overhaul, add a more flexibile GUI (have not seen the LW9 interface) Just remember that as much as the interface can suck at times, LW is one of the quickest, easiest and most enjoyable non-windows interfaces i have ever experienced.

It's also cross platform GUI, and It's one of the most useful limitations of LW..... As it ensures it works, rather than looking pretty or has popup ballons...

I think some internal stuff needs to be done....
Xpanels does not have access to a Multilist box control, from the way it was designed (and it was only redesigned at 6.0) which really is amaziingly crap!

I would like a DRAG and DROP interface, rather than configure menus,
i want to drag and drop, and make custom panels, that contain multiple controls.

I would LOVE the option for a 2nd custom toolbar on the right hand side too!

As for 5.5 interface, 5.5 did not use OGL for panel drawing, and LW6+ does,
makes me think the reason for slow OGL in LW6+, is because the entire interface is loaded into my poor little videocard!!!!

stargazer
11-02-2005, 08:41 PM
Hi....I'm new to LW, but not to graphic apps. My first reaction to seeing the LW GUI was, "Good grief, Charlie Brown, that's certainly a plain-looking interface!"

My experience with 3D is mostly with Bryce5, which in my humble opinion, is
the most intuitive, fun, easy to use. It doesn't do nurbs, and all the extremely
cool things LW does, but should serve a model for 3D apps as far as the GUI.

I guess the most positive thing I can say about LW's GUI is that it is clean,
and forces me to be creative on my own without all the instant oceans, skies,
terrains, etc available to me in B5.

Here are just 4 requests I have for the designers:
1. allow us to change the color scheme for the buttons....just a bit too
subtle as is....I'm a little weak in the blue range, and would like more
contrast.
2. use an undo system like PhotoImpact.....there's a dropdown that lets
you select which undo.

3. Can we have a selection tool like Flash (and just about every other app)
....just left click to select the whole object....click away to de-select.

4. Right-click dropdown on a selected object that includes copy/paste, save, etc?

I have to say that one main reason I chose LW over Maya is the confusing
Maya interface. Maybe I'll learn to love the LW GUI the more I use it. :D

Thanks!
Stargazer

Nitisara
11-03-2005, 12:28 AM
My suggestion is to make "Current Item" drop-down list to be friendly to hierarchy structure of scene. Kilometer-long lists of bones and objects are definitely obsolete.

3dworks
11-03-2005, 12:53 AM
ok, put all the wise suggestions of the other users, but please, please - dont make it look and feel like C4D!! :D - i love that clean and professional layout of LW8!

Dodgy
11-03-2005, 03:08 AM
how do you mean, "assign their plugins to particular menus"?

do you mean that a custom plugin would call existing menu items? or that the plugins put themselves in the existing menu system automatically? sorry, i'm just not clear on what you mean.

You can actually build into the plugin where it'll appear in the menus when you add it. Nitisara has done it a few times, and I've seen it done elsewhere. You can do it with .p plugins, and for a while I thought you could do it in lscript, but I couldn't find where I thought I'd read it...

ackees
11-03-2005, 03:39 AM
Agreed new ideas needed for interface.

Nitisara
11-03-2005, 04:37 AM
One more idea about interface:
to add buttons (instead of menu) to Image Viewer window to:
1) Clear Current Layer
2) Clear All Layers
3) Scroll Layers Up and Down (or optionally add this to Mouse wheel)
4) Save RGBA
and so on...

And that closing Image Viewer will not destroy all images there!

Pavlov
11-11-2005, 08:21 AM
1) Clear Current Layer
2) Clear All Layers
4) Save RGBA
and so on...

AGREE. and please put some basic manipulation tools of loaded textures like:
- flip Hor/vert
- mirror
- crop

i've lot of texture in basic and 90° rotated flavor, just because you cannot do all you need with just one, unless you use UVs for ALL your mapping.

Pavlov

Pavlov
11-11-2005, 08:22 AM
1) Clear Current Layer
2) Clear All Layers
4) Save RGBA
and so on...

AGREE. and please put some basic manipulation tools of loaded textures like:
- flip Hor/vert
- mirror
- crop

i've lot of textures in basic and 90° rotated flavor, just because you cannot do all you need with just one, unless you use UVs for ALL your mapping.

Pavlov

habaņero
11-11-2005, 08:54 AM
I have mentioned this before at spinquad, but I woud really appreciate if it the interface would support displaying a .txt with the same name and location as a plugin on mouseover + an amount of milliseconds the user could set up. Or implemented as a plugin you could assign to keystroke, that would have additional keystrokes for instant edit of the files. And maybe option for short version that would display in the status bar and long version as sometimes you just need to separate to plugins with similar names and sometimes you need instructions/description.

I know about the possibility of making notes to the status bar from the plugin panel. But that is completely manual, and is challenged like plugins don't necessarily have the same names there and in layout in alphabetical (file) display, and not having obvious placement in the other display.

Possibility for adding gifs/.pngs and have them either show inline or with an additional keystroke would be very nice as well, since some of us have issues with reading japanese ...

If the design were simple, you could extract the info from, say, flay. I'd volounteer for that ... And it'd support .txt manuals/readmes that are already there.

I can't think any other measure that would speed up modeler more.

jeremyhardin
11-11-2005, 08:54 AM
You can actually build into the plugin where it'll appear in the menus when you add it. Nitisara has done it a few times, and I've seen it done elsewhere. You can do it with .p plugins, and for a while I thought you could do it in lscript, but I couldn't find where I thought I'd read it...

i think eki's plugs did it in lscript. i messed about with it myself, but for lscript it required parsing the config, which can screw up the users system royally. i didn't want that on my head for idof or any freebie's sake. so i'm letting it lie for now.

Matt
11-11-2005, 11:25 AM
My suggestion is to make "Current Item" drop-down list to be friendly to hierarchy structure of scene. Kilometer-long lists of bones and objects are definitely obsolete.

I agree, something like this ...

ercaxus
11-12-2005, 01:46 AM
1) Clear Current Layer
2) Clear All Layers
4) Save RGBA
and so on...

I agree. A lot of stuff in LW's interface IMO suffers from pull down menus.

Simple Example: Bandsaw Pro in numeric panel is not very friendly. I hate using the pull down menu for picking the operation type(Edit/Delete/Add). If those could be buttons that would add at least 5 years to my life. This happens all around Lightwave's interface. If they fix all of them I would end up living 500 years.
Newtek please do it so I can start smoking again :D

Nemoid
11-13-2005, 02:46 AM
yah current UI could use many changements. i think some good things are coming with 9.0 about customization, colors...

the main things i don't like so much in the current UI are :

huge lists of plugins and shaders that the app should list in alphabetical order when you load them - and update them automatically when u add new stuff, and the fact there are no great ways to assign values to multiple objects/items easily.

I'd like also renaming/numbering tools for items where we need em: scene editor for example.

another thing i always say is that i'd like to see dockable and nestable panels all the way in the app. one panel to rule them all could work great, and say this in paricular for modeler for who uses to work with numeric, layer, info panels at the side of their view.

think to one dockable/ nestable panel to put them all into, using tabs in it like u can do in Corel photopaint or in PS panels

i'd finally like some functions on organizing buttons

drag and drop(maybe through RMB click) to move them,
RMB click - menu to delete them
and the possibility to duplicate them too

possibility to navigate tabs into a similar way
we use for selection,hitting a key this would speed up
workflow for people which uses buttons alot or when searching tools

more keyboard shortcuts are coming, and this is great
but i'd like to have also maya pan/move /zoom system

edit: almost forgot: give those huge lists a scrollbar.

Pavlov
11-13-2005, 04:21 AM
i'd also like to keep more item's Option panels opened at once.
Often i need to tweak BOTH an obj and a light, or camera and a light and so on, and i'd liek to see both control panels at once.
Panel switching does not allow for easy comparisons of values and so on (thing about a slider: it's an obj so when you select it you get Obj property panel; if you are controlling Camera's zoom, you wont be able to see how the slider affects horizontal FOV, for example).

Paolo