PDA

View Full Version : Yacht - Magazine

sidewing
05-07-2003, 12:48 PM
This image was created for a yachting magazine (ad) and poster design. The Ocean is a little exaggerated high at the horizon to illustrate the effect of stabilizers when used on the ocean.

The text above the ad will read: "Quantum paves the way for superior motion control".

John
VirtueGraphics

navel_lint
05-07-2003, 01:55 PM
very kick ***!

it looks so real.

Hurben
05-07-2003, 05:59 PM
Really nice, good job.

js33
05-07-2003, 09:04 PM
Hi John,

Looks good as always.
Is the yacht thing just a good client or are you an avid boater as well?

Cheers,
JS

sidewing
05-07-2003, 10:37 PM
Thanks so much guy's!

Great to hear these respondses. Interestingly, at CGTalk it gets totally ripped apart of how ugly it is. I know it's not the best work we have done so far but the client liked it and they pay well...

I have a few clients who are in the yachting Industry. I guess it's my niche so to speak. And indeed I love water sport!

Thanks again for all the kind words.

John
www.virtuegraphics.com

Matt
05-08-2003, 02:03 AM
wow cool! is the froth CG? how did you do that?

trick
05-08-2003, 02:10 AM
Even if this is not the best work, it surely has other strong points. Being in a niche market it often shows character having alternatives to your regular stuff, like celshaded, CG/Traditional combinations, whatever. You can either please your customers and consequently earn their trust or refuse jobs that are not in the line of your required output quality. One day your customers will understand that YOU are the professional, and that is the day you are the one that defines the quality...

Nice work...

BTW: you know Digitix (http://www.digitix.com) ??

sidewing
05-08-2003, 04:30 PM
Thanks again!

Matt,
Indeed this is 3D "froth". Just hit the LW Froth button and voila:)
We did the suds with 5 passes of particles with motion blur.

Trick,
No I never have seen that website. Looks awesom! I already wrote to them (thanks to you) and hope to hear back from them... Do you know them personally?

John

kite
05-12-2003, 11:55 AM
I love that sea surface!
And I would love to have something that did that to the ocean when I kitesurf :D
Loads of wind and a flat corridor of smooth water, yeah!

Hervé
05-12-2003, 11:37 PM
This is really a great work you did here , John ! Extra super ! really excellent !!!

hervé

sidewing
05-13-2003, 01:20 AM
Thanks for your compliments Kite and Herve! I appreciate your imput.

What have you been working on lately Herve?

My next project is a scene with 2 yachts and new ocean. Hopefully it will turn out nice...

Thanks again,

John

HowardM
05-13-2003, 01:13 PM
wow John! youve got the water and wakes down now!
any chance youll make a tutorial on how to make such nice waves and wakes?
I never saw your anim last year, the one of the boat and wakes, that you asked how to dissolve between the 2 wakes?...how did that turn out?

any chance you ever got ahold of Tajinho?

sidewing
05-13-2003, 01:53 PM
Hi Howard,

Thanks for the compliment!

Making the waves and suds seem to get easier. It is so render intensive though... Also making foam on the tips of the waves during animation is a new challange. I have some idea's of how to solve it though.

I still haven't done a tutorial. The good thing is that my excuse is that I start to get more and more payd work in this field.
I will make the tutorial though. I promise!

Also, the transition idea of blending 2 images to get an animated wake was great! I'm still using it.

Can you refresh my memory again about Tajinho?

Attached a simple water without a lot of waves.

Thanks,

John

HowardM
05-13-2003, 02:24 PM
Cool...but the waves down look as real as your upper image...I like the crests...how do you get them?...i always have trouble making sharp waves without them looking too sharp or 'crumple' like!
... is that foam ontop of the waves post, or HVs?
I was playing around with this idea...havent perfected it, but it could totally work.
Make your displaced ocean plane, then take a collision plane and place it at a height where the wave tops hit, when they do, they will emit particles!

read more here - http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3583&highlight=collision

sidewing
05-13-2003, 05:17 PM
Dear Howard,

I don't use crumple for the waves. They are indeed too sharp. Most of the time I use the following layers:

Z-distance to camera gradient (fading away bumps in distance)
Alpha fractal
Normal FBM (small)
Alpha fractal
Normal Cyclone (medium)
ALpha cyclone (large)
Normal Coriolis (very small and low intensity)

I love the link to the foam. You helped me again! Next time make sure you charge me :)

I will follow the tutorial and see how it looks on that water.

John

HowardM
05-13-2003, 05:24 PM
no problem...Im sure I can depend on you when I need a hitman...err I mean some help with Lightwave... :)

BUT you still havent shown me the wake animation! :)
Did you ever post it? I remember searching...or didnt you use some crazy codec or Blip or something....can rem...but I wanna see how it turned out!

:)
oh yeah , also, Tajinho....you know, Malaysian Friday and the LW IMAC...with the lapping waves...I wanted to learn how he did them a few months ago for a Spring Break anim...but its too late...still Id love to know how he did them...and I think you had tried to get in touch with him?
Can anyone?...or is he too famous now? :)

...Im thinking of the collision/HV foam method for the lapping waves now.

...too many techniques, so little time!

Hervé
05-13-2003, 11:22 PM
Re-hello, John.... right now I am working on making my site (finally after 5 years !), so except for small Buttons, I am using Flash for the moment...

Do you still use HS for the reflections ?

Cheers, Hervé

sidewing
05-14-2003, 12:21 AM
You will find several animations on our website whare we used the wake and suds. Most of them I did before the making of the new wake though.

I tried to contact them. Indeed no responds. Has been a while now...
Keep us updated about any success with your lapping waves.

Hi Herve!
Yep I still use HS. Great to have that one. Almost a must have for true raytracing.

John

oxygen_77
05-21-2003, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by sidewing

I don't use crumple for the waves. They are indeed too sharp. Most of the time I use the following layers:

Z-distance to camera gradient (fading away bumps in distance)
Alpha fractal
Normal FBM (small)
Alpha fractal
Normal Cyclone (medium)
ALpha cyclone (large)
Normal Coriolis (very small and low intensity)

Hey, great work!! I'm trying to replicate the Z-distance to camera effect to fade away the bumps in the distance, but I can't seem to get it to work. Currently my settings have a layer at the top of my others within the bump channel that is set to gradient. The gradient uses distance to camera with the value at 0 set to 100% and the value at 20m set to 0%. I've tried different setting such as Alpha, Multiply, Divide and none of them seem to fade the bumps out completely at 20m like I would expect... any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

sidewing
05-21-2003, 10:10 AM
Dear oxygen_77

What you can try is do do this:
First off, you need to go from 100 to 0 (top-bottom). Second t is important that your bump in the bump channels is not more then 100 percent (if you want more bump, increase the bump channel in total.
Also, you might need to put it above every bump map. In other words: if you use 3 bumps, put it above each one.
The, you can also to use weight maps. Make in modeler a weight map that is 100 percent towards the camera and 0 percent at the end. In layout just select weight map, (instead of distance to camera) and make top white and bottom black. Use again alpha.

Give me a personal email if it still doesn't work and I will send you a file.

John

oxygen_77
05-21-2003, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the help! I found out that I might need to put the distance to camera statement in above each layer just a bit ago so I'm glad to hear you say it too because I thought I might be doing something wrong. I hadn't thought about the fact that I would need to make the channels less than 100% though... The weight map idea sounds cool, but I can't really use it for what I'm doing (animation). Thanks for offering to send a file, but I don't think it'll be necessary because the other info. you gave has helped a bunch. Thanks again!

sidewing
05-21-2003, 12:06 PM
Great to be able to help!

Post your animation when you're done please. WOuld love to see it!

John