PDA

View Full Version : 3DWorld Visual Effects Tutorial

ben_smith
11-01-2005, 02:08 AM
Hi Kids

I've been asked by the lovely people at 3DWorld magazine www.computerarts.co.uk/3dworld to contribute a tutorial about creating some sort of cool sci-fi visual effect shot using LightWave and AfterFX.

In the past we've done stuff like making a vampire dissolve into a cloud of dust a la Buffy; a huge rolling ball of rock a la Indy Jones and a Star Wars style hologram.

Does anyone have any ideas for cool things that we could usefully do as a 4 page tutorial? We usually go out and shoot any live action video we need (within reason) so anything goes!

ben

Verlon
11-01-2005, 03:16 AM
Could you blow something up in a nice fiery explosion? A car perhaps? Or a Helicopter?

All those direct-to-video action movies have to blow up at least ONE car....

kennez
11-01-2005, 03:54 AM
I'd second blowing the **** out of a car. Just don't use an Aston Martin!

Lude
11-01-2005, 03:59 AM
Do a wall of watery plasma like stargate that is displaced/ripples when someone walks through it.

CB_3D
11-01-2005, 08:23 AM
Something like the big werewolf bite in "Cursed". The one where she bites a whole section out of his neck.

Lots of 3d fx involved, very good stuff.

starbase1
11-01-2005, 08:27 AM
An explosion would certainly prove popular, I suspect...

Alternatively, how about building a realistic earth? That's pretty general, and with the very high res 'Blue Marble' textures available from NASA, the raw resources are all out there, (and it should make sense to users of other software too).

If you go for Earth, I'd be very interested in effective ways of managing very large image maps, I'm sure I'm not the only one who has hit problems with the size of individual maps before you hit total memory limits...

If you want something more ambitious, I've never seen a convicing comet or galaxy! (Not even a good stylised one come to that...)

Nick

Lightwolf
11-01-2005, 09:05 AM
Alternatively, how about building a realistic earth? That's pretty general, and with the very high res 'Blue Marble' textures available from NASA, the raw resources are all out there, (and it should make sense to users of other software too).
Hah, you mean more realistic than this? :D

I think a ZeroG explostion would be very neat indeed... another topic (not VFX though) could be lighting in space...

Cheers,
Mike

MonroePoteet
11-01-2005, 01:08 PM
A few ideas:

The rotoscoped lightsaber fight in WIP might be popular:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=40922

or the similar concept of rotoscoping CG laser bolts.

Or how about a bunch of star fighters in battle using particles and FXLinker against an Earth background.

A tornado or waterspout. Not especially sci-fi, but could texture it as an "energy vortex" instead.

A UFO and its shadow sliding across a videotaped landscape or city (or just a photo to make it simpler to fake the massing survey).

Rotoscoped robot guts on a real person. Or CG appliances of some sort (e.g. antennae, metalic tentacle like in Spiderman II).

A fantasy futuristic city background (with flying traffic, maybe) behind a photographed foreground neighborhood.

Paul_Boland
11-01-2005, 01:24 PM
I would love to know how to create Star Trek type phasers. This may seem easy, and while I can pull it off in some simple fashion, my phaser beems tend to whobble and pass through stuff, instead of just hitting their target and sticking while they are fired. Also, how to control the beam while the ship(s) are moving, and perhaps some info on how to do hits to the shields.

My not be as high tech as you want, but it's a tutorial I'd really appreciate.

mkiii
11-02-2005, 03:02 AM
Do anything as long as it involves the B-17 :2guns:

How about showing how to set up accurate tracer fire that tracks the target correctly. Then a parachute deploying, maybe followed by the oft requested large explosion of the target without the aid of 3rd party plugins.

I *know* you can do that. :thumbsup:

{edit} Failing that, how about a vista of Sheffield being transformed into a verdant landscape by way of Vue Infinite? I'm sure the 9.0ers out there would appreciate that one.

newsvixen8
11-02-2005, 05:06 AM
By the way Ben, thanks for the Buffy-dusting tut, it was lots of fun