PDA

View Full Version : can this be what the new intel mac will look like?

archiea
11-01-2005, 01:18 AM
Imagine the new Mac intels looking like this...it would ease the blow.. and add drive space too!!!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Showimage.asp?Mode=&Type=&Image=11-112-051-06.jpg%2C11-112-051-10.jpg%2C11-112-051-03.JPG%2C11-112-051-07.jpg%2C11-112-051-08.jpg%2C11-112-051-11.jpg&CurImage=11-112-051-06.jpg&Description=Lian+Li+V+COOL+PC-V1000+Silver+Aluminum+ATX+Mid+Tower+Computer+Case+-+Retail

In all seriousness, it would be nice to have that kind of drive space.. tidyness be ****ed!!!!

Captain Obvious
11-01-2005, 02:44 PM
That thing looks like something you're not allowed to say on these boards. Beauty may only be skin deep, but that thing's ugliness goes all the way down to the bone.

Celshader
11-01-2005, 03:44 PM
That thing looks like something you're not allowed to say on these boards. Beauty may only be skin deep, but that thing's ugliness goes all the way down to the bone.

Eye of the beholder. ;) I own the V1200B (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811112090) -- the V1000's brother. It's similar, but black, and deep enough for EATX motherboards. Maintaining/upgrading my PC's a breeze, the 120mm case fans run quiet, and folks love its looks.

If you can afford them, Lian-Li makes some of the finest PC cases. My other PC lives in an older Lian-Li PC-60 (http://www.dansdata.com/pc60.htm).

Captain Obvious
11-02-2005, 02:08 AM
I didn't say it was a bad case. ;)

Johnny
11-02-2005, 07:56 AM
Well, can you say "steaming poo cake?"

I for one would be all in favor of a form factor like the Mac Mini for the pro machines.

I don't know *anyone*, client or friend, who uses all the slots and internal capacity of the desktop tower Macs..and for those who need to have something the size of a hotel refrigerator on their desks, maybe there's something they can put there to take up the space. Giant Ant Farm??

I've been using the Mini for about 2 months now, and it kicks bootie!

Now, imagine a "pro" mini. Size of a mini. CPU of a pro-level workstation. Roar of a Q-tip. Heat of an LED.

That works for me.

J

Lightwolf
11-02-2005, 08:30 AM
I don't know *anyone*, client or friend, who uses all the slots and internal capacity of the desktop tower Macs..
Well, the Mac based audio studio upstairs have all of their internal bays crammed with drives... plus an assortment of external drives littered around every box.
Slots are a different issue... but once you get into video...

Cheers,
Mike

BazC
11-02-2005, 08:44 AM
Well, can you say "steaming poo cake?"

I for one would be all in favor of a form factor like the Mac Mini for the pro machines.

I don't know *anyone*, client or friend, who uses all the slots and internal capacity of the desktop tower Macs..and for those who need to have something the size of a hotel refrigerator on their desks, maybe there's something they can put there to take up the space. Giant Ant Farm??

I've been using the Mini for about 2 months now, and it kicks bootie!

Now, imagine a "pro" mini. Size of a mini. CPU of a pro-level workstation. Roar of a Q-tip. Heat of an LED.

That works for me.

J

Yeah provided there's room for umpty-two gigabytes of RAM and at least 2 GFX cards, oh and an extra HD - just in case. Problem is we're getting back to the size of the Powermacs now lol! - Baz

Matt
11-02-2005, 09:28 AM
I have a Coolermaster Wave Master, which isn't too bad, apart from the nasty flap on top with the USB/Firewire underneath!

Celshader
11-02-2005, 09:55 AM
I didn't say it was a bad case. ;)

I know. :D I repeat: folks love the V1200B's looks. One reviewer (http://barrys-rigs-n-reviews.com/reviews/2004/hardware/v1200b/v1200b_1.htm) deemed it "clean and classy."

---

That said...you know Apple's going to come up with their own unique case design for the Intel Macs. They're frickin' Apple. SGI used distinctly SGI-style case designs for their Intel machines (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SGI_Visual_Workstation) many years ago; Apple will do the same thing.

Captain Obvious
11-02-2005, 03:07 PM
A PowerMac ships with a dual-layer DVD burner, and it can fit up to 16 gigabytes of RAM and four graphics cards. Sure, you can only squeeze in two hard drives, but if you really must have more space than a TiB, you can always buy an external hard drive whatchamajigger or something such.

And Celshader is dead on. They're frickin' Apple. The PMG5 case didn't look much like the PMG4 case. Why would the PMXeon case look like the Lian Li one?

loki74
11-02-2005, 11:26 PM
A PowerMac ships with a dual-layer DVD burner, and it can fit up to 16 gigabytes of RAM and four graphics cards. Sure, you can only squeeze in two hard drives, but if you really must have more space than a TiB, you can always buy an external hard drive whatchamajigger or something such.

And Celshader is dead on. They're frickin' Apple. The PMG5 case didn't look much like the PMG4 case. Why would the PMXeon case look like the Lian Li one?
:agree: Well said.

I would also have to agree that this case is very ugly. And its a rip off of the current PM case. Which is still nicer.

There was some recent speculation on MacNN that Apple would switch to glossy black, similar to the new black iPod nanos. But I kind of like the white and silver look myself. Hope they dont change it too much, but yeah, they will most definately change it at least a little.

Johnny
11-03-2005, 08:00 AM
well, components are getting smaller..I know there are 7200rpm drives for use in Notebooks, and that cards for various uses can be made small, too.

Factor in the 1/2-watt chip Intel supposedly has in the works, and you have less need for large heat sinks and large air vents, so the case can get either smaller, or that liberated space can be used for add-ons.

My mini boots from an external 7200rpm drive, and that set up works great...CAN be done.

J

monovich
11-03-2005, 11:47 AM

we've got all our slots full on every CPU. Video card, Video capture card, Fibre Channel card, Ultra 320 SCSI card.

-sf

monovich
11-03-2005, 11:48 AM
oh, also, I like that ripoff case. it's not as good as an apple. but for the cpu I'm building, it's the least bad alternative, and it matches my apple display. :)

Captain Obvious
11-03-2005, 01:07 PM
<language nitpick>
You're not building a CPU. You're building a computer. ;)
</nitpick>

Lightwolf
11-03-2005, 02:28 PM
<language nitpick>
You're not building a CPU. You're building a computer. ;)
</nitpick>
<nitpick>
In the early days the Central Processing Unit would describe the complete computer, and it is still used in that broad sense sometimes today.
</nitpick>
Cheers,
Mike - nitpickers of the world unite ;)