PDA

View Full Version : Video editing choices

hrgiger
10-31-2005, 10:29 AM
Can someone reccomend a good video editing program that is under or around $200? I've used Adobe Premiere before but right now, I don't have that kind of price in my budget. I would like some video software that has:

*timeline editing
*ability to assemble video from still images (individ. frames)
*ability to cut and splice existing clips
*support of multiple video formats and codecs
*sound tools

Tim Parsons
10-31-2005, 11:51 AM
Vegas Movie Studio™+DVD Platinum is a nice package @ $129.95 retail. It's the baby brother of Vegas 6. I'm not sure if it will assemble video from still frames, but otherwise it is a real sweet package. Premiere Elements will assemble video from stills, but in my tests it was very slow and would not playback at full speed. (Both are available for download to test) IMO Vegas Movie Studio™+DVD Platinum is the more refined package, to me it's only limitation is that there are only 4 available layers for video and 4 for audio. Premiere Elements has unlimited layers. I picked up Vegas Movie Studio 3 (ScreenBlast) early last year at Best Buy and have been really pleased with it and have been considering upgrading to Vegas Movie Studio™+DVD Platinum (for $59.95) or upgrading to Vegas 6. I will say that the customer service at Sony Media is second to none. About 3 months after I purchased Screenblast, Sony updated the software to Vegas Movie Studio 4, I received a notice that I could upgrade for a small fee. I was not to happy about that, so I wrote them, and all I had to do was fax them my receipt and they sent out a boxed upgrade. They also upgrade my Sound Forge to the latest version, all at no cost to me, and sent a bunch of free sound clips and video clips. Needless to say I was very impressed. However as great as the their customer service is, it wouldn't mean squat if their products sucked, but they are great!! Download them and try them out and you'll see why I have nothing but praise for them.

Tim

cresshead
10-31-2005, 11:53 AM
well if your using a pc then i'd go for this

http://www.adobe.com/products/psprelements/main.html

if your on a mac then i'd get final cut expressHD

currently i use final cut expressHD and it's pretty good in comparison to premiere 6.0 on a pc [which i also use when on pc]

steve g

meatycheesyboy
10-31-2005, 12:16 PM
http://desktopvideo.about.com/od/softwarereviews/tp/bestfreesw_ro.htm

There may be a diamond in the rough in these choices and best of all, they're free.

Kvaalen
10-31-2005, 02:37 PM
I think Sony had some editing program that was derived from Vegas for around 100 bucks. It didn't have much, but for the price it was much better than all those "family video editing programs" that seriously stink big time.

EDIT: Ok. It's called Vegas Movie studio but I'm sure that isn't what it used to be called. I think it was something like Screenblast Movie Studio. Anyway... for $89 I think it looks quite impressive. Hope this helps. http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/products/showproduct.asp?pid=977

UnCommonGrafx
10-31-2005, 04:33 PM
Look at http://mediachance.com; they have an awesome set of tools for video to dvd to presentation work.

starbase1
11-01-2005, 08:42 AM
The Sony stuff...

What are the menu building options like? Every other reasonably priced package I have tried is severely limited unless you want everything to look like an amateur wedding video...

And does it do dual layer DVD's?

Personally I was very disapointed in Adobe Premiere Elements - extremely confusing to use, (whats with all the coloured plectrum thingies?!?!)

Nick

hrgiger
11-01-2005, 08:45 AM
Well, I've seen a few of the "home" video editing suites and they're pretty limiting. I ended up buying Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 off of ebay for about $250. A little over my price range but I'm used to Premiere's interface and it's got what I want. Thanks for the info.

Alliante
11-01-2005, 08:48 AM
Vegas Movie Studio™+DVD Platinum is a nice package @ $129.95 retail. It's the baby brother of Vegas 6. I'm not sure if it will assemble video from still frames, but otherwise it is a real sweet package. Premiere Elements will assemble video from stills, but in my tests it was very slow and would not playback at full speed. (Both are available for download to test) IMO Vegas Movie Studio™+DVD Platinum is the more refined package, to me it's only limitation is that there are only 4 available layers for video and 4 for audio. Premiere Elements has unlimited layers. I picked up Vegas Movie Studio 3 (ScreenBlast) early last year at Best Buy and have been really pleased with it and have been considering upgrading to Vegas Movie Studio™+DVD Platinum (for $59.95) or upgrading to Vegas 6. I will say that the customer service at Sony Media is second to none. About 3 months after I purchased Screenblast, Sony updated the software to Vegas Movie Studio 4, I received a notice that I could upgrade for a small fee. I was not to happy about that, so I wrote them, and all I had to do was fax them my receipt and they sent out a boxed upgrade. They also upgrade my Sound Forge to the latest version, all at no cost to me, and sent a bunch of free sound clips and video clips. Needless to say I was very impressed. However as great as the their customer service is, it wouldn't mean squat if their products sucked, but they are great!! Download them and try them out and you'll see why I have nothing but praise for them.

Tim

I'll support this as well. I've been really impressed with Sony's updates since they bought out the Sonic Foundry line. The only gripe I have have about Vegas 6 is the start up time (it uses MSDE for the media database), but it screams once it's up.

c0deb0y
11-01-2005, 09:42 AM
Check your local Half Price Books store. I just picked up Magix Video Deluxe 2.0 for $10. Sigh...I love that store :)

They have 4 stores in Ohio.
www.halfpricebooks.com

animotion
11-02-2005, 08:47 AM
There is a free version of avids express DV available. Check the avid website.

MiniFireDragon
11-02-2005, 09:55 AM
Virtual Dub can do everything but the sound editing.

*timeline editing
It's linear, so u can erase frames in groups, down side is, can only use 1 vid sequence at a time

*ability to assemble video from still images (individ. frames)
Can do this

*ability to cut and splice existing clips
There is an Append tool

*support of multiple video formats and codecs
Does alot of codecs, just not Quicktime.

*sound tools
Sorry, minor tools in this department

Other benefits - has a bunch of filters to apply to video (de-interlace, bright/contrast... etc.) plus some you can locate thta others made.

Can capture video too, and one of the fastest I seen (i like iuvcr though)!

www.virtualdub.org

And it's FREE.

Jim_C
11-02-2005, 10:17 AM
C'mon Newtek!! Unbundle VT-EDIT!!! You have a whole other market here with the LW guys!!

It's sad on your board there has to be a discussion on where to look for good editing apps, when you already make when of the best available!!

But since they don't, I suggest Vegas Movie Studio also.

starbase1
11-02-2005, 11:29 AM
Can anyone enlighten me on the Vegas menu building functionality?

Wickster
11-02-2005, 01:16 PM
Virtual Dub can do everything but the sound editing...www.virtualdub.org

And it's FREE.

VirtualDUB is an awesome program, though it was kinda hard for me to use it at first now I use this all the time.

One of the best features I like about this program is how fast it plays sequenced images. It's way better than Alias' FCheck. It even plays an image sequence with multiple filters applied to it in real time...for a fast system at least.

It can also and burn in subtitle files (.ssa, .srt) with the free plugin.

Another one I like is the fact that if you already have an existing audio on your video and you didn't change the audio codec (add filters, vbr to cbr, cbr to vbr, etc.) at all or basically untouched. You can have it process the video part only and do a direct stream of the audio. That way it speeds up encoding.