PDA

View Full Version : Bones_Morphing

wulfie
10-30-2005, 11:00 PM
Can bones morph? I have a creature that turns from one thing into another. I have been doing this by hiding parts inside it's body and then slowy it grows arms antenna etc by endomorphing them out of it's body. It's a kind of machine so it works. I want the antenna to wiggle once they are out of the body so they must have bones. I kind of feel like I'm asking for trouble......or I just am not sure of what I am doing.

I created the bones as skelegons. (I'm used to LW crashing if I try to use the bone tools in Layout.) Should they be set up as a morph target in Modeler? They kind of get left behnd in Layout when the creature morphs.

Techniques....... anyone with experience?

Thank you so much in advance for any tips and wisdom you send my way.

Bev

Rory_L
10-31-2005, 05:17 AM
Use the bones to draw the parts out of the body and use the morphs to make the remaining, subtle shape corrections. This way the bones will still be in the right position to be able to wiggle the feelers after the transformation.

Alternatively you might do an object replace quick change when the antennae are fully out, switching with feelers that are already in the extended shape. Disadvantage: can`t progressively wiggle as the antennae grow.

Cheers,

R

pooby
10-31-2005, 06:23 AM
Once the skelegons are converted to bones, that is it.. Morphing will do nothing to them.
The rest position of the bone cannot be animated either.

If you want an antenae to morph out then work, you will need to turn on 'Use morphed positions' in the bone panel..
As LW evaluates bone strength falloff relative to nearby geometry, This will enable you to morph the geometry near to the bone, then it evaluates it and will deform it properly..
Otherwise, LW still thinks the geometry of the antennae is still where it was originally before the morph. ie hidden unde the skin or wherever. so it will not work as desired.