PDA

View Full Version : saving animations/compression

buddha2b
10-30-2005, 06:39 PM
I just created a simple animation that I would like to send through email. I used Dropstuff to compress the file, but can only get it to to compress to 19.4 MB. Can anyon guide me into the right direction for good file compression? thanks.

Silkrooster
10-30-2005, 07:02 PM
This will depend on several factors, what is the original file size? Are you willing to loose quality such as color, resolution, sound degration? What is the original format mov, avi, rm, mpeg? What would the optimal file size you wish to obtain? Is this for business or personal use? What type of computer will it play on?
With these questions in mind you can do some research on divx, mpeg 1, 2 and 4, quicktime, xdiv, wmv, rm, and zip.
Out of these quicktime's mpeg4, wmv, and rm are the most compressable and loose the most data. But they can show excellent quality as well, it's up to you on the balance.
Divx and mpeg2 both require a license if use commercially, so check the license requirements before sending anything out to the public.
Zip is one of the few that is lossless and being so will generate larger files than the others. But it may be possible to zip one of the other file formats to compromize.
Hope this helps as I know it can be very confusing with so many possibilities.
Silk

Z_Render_8
10-30-2005, 08:26 PM
Like Silk mention it can be very confusing with so many possibilities.

I like to use Quicktime using Sorenson Video 3 on most of my email contacts. I was able to compress a 89 mb video down to 3.85mb with a data rate of 850 kbits/sec with a very good smooth playback.

Of course I also reduce the video size as well. 720x486 to 360x240.

P.S. You will need QT Pro to export from the original size.

toby
10-30-2005, 09:22 PM
Sorenson3 or Divx are the best ones that still have good compatibility. If you want your video to be seen by non-computer-savvy people, your choices should be Sorenson3 or mpg1, odds are they haven't installed Divx. Between Sorenson and Mpeg1, Sorenson is the easiest/fastest for the independent user, Quicktime Pro or Premeire can encode it, Mpeg 1 encoders are less common and take a while to work.

It is a good idea to reduce the size as mentioned, unless you know your audience is using broadband and/or the quality is the most important thing, like a Demo reel.

buddha2b
10-31-2005, 01:47 AM
thanks for the help. I tried quicktime pro and that compressed the file amazingly.

toby
10-31-2005, 02:10 AM
don't forget keyframes! You can use a high number, like 120 - 240, without losing much quality; makes the files even smaller, but scrubbing suffers.

buddha2b
10-31-2005, 09:52 AM
what do you mean? 120fps?

toby
10-31-2005, 10:23 PM
No, keyframes - when you set keyframes to 30 for example, every 30th frame will store the color vaule of every pixel. That's a keyframe. All the other frames just store the values that have changed from the last keyframe.

But if the image changes enough, the encoder is forced to put in a keyframe, because most of the pixel values have changed. This is why you can set the value very high. At some point, setting it higher will make no difference, because the video changes more frequently than there are keyframes. You could actually set it to 1000 and see how it looks -