PDA

View Full Version : which package

djlane
05-07-2003, 11:49 AM
Hello this my first post and i`m quite new to 3d so I am looking to learn a pro level app. And I was wondering what does lightwave do better over other packages like Maya Soft and Max .

cheers

dj

mattclary
05-07-2003, 12:40 PM
Hmmmm, tough question. LightWave is generally thought to be better modeler than most. Usually it boils down to personal preference. There probably isn't anything that can be done in one app that can't be done in another.

Heed this advice: Get the demo of any software you are interested in and try it. Really spend some time with it. It usually boils down to how comfortable you are with the interface.

Of course, LightWave is just cooler than all the rest. :cool:

Global Hawk
05-07-2003, 01:10 PM
I have had some tell me that Lightwave is the hardest to learn, yet the easiest to use. If that makes any sense at all.:confused: ;)
And This after they had tried 3D Studio, Maya, and a couple of others.

Personally, I agree with mattclary. Lightwave rocks!:cool:

Rei
05-07-2003, 01:31 PM
It also depends what sort of 3D you want to do. If it was games then LW is great, esps with the new things that have been promised for LW [8]!

*remember that whatever people say will be sort of bias towards LW. There is another thread here that has exactly the same question.

(I second what is said below, Matt is that real?)

Matt
05-07-2003, 02:02 PM
matt - please tell me that tattoo isn't real!!!

:D

mattclary
05-07-2003, 02:18 PM
It's definitely real! Got it a little over a year ago. There are several people floating around with them. Will Mendez used to hang around here, had the logo from the 5.6 days, which was more tribal/prehistoric looking. Will has since migrated to XSI, which he promptly tattoed himself with as well. :)

http://forums.newtek.com/discus/messages/2/24436.html?

Rei
05-07-2003, 03:13 PM
Matt you are a REAL LW fan!

I would never do anything like that.

Chris S. (Fez)
05-07-2003, 04:54 PM
Go to Siggraph Rei! Maybe you'll wake late one hangover morning and discover that your skin too can become a shrine to Lightwave!

As for me, I'm gonna wait and see if the Lightwave 8 logo gets another twirl before I get my tattoo. :)

Anyway...

Lightwave is outrageously cheap considering how much *** it kicks. It has not received a significant update in almost two years and yet it still boasts a competitive toolset. Having said that, the great new animation tools in Max 5, Maya 5 and XSI 3 make Lightwave look a little lacking.

I would wait for Siggraph, where Newtek will be showing Lightwave 8. There will probably be some show specials to take advantage of anyway. Lightwavers will have been waiting two years for Lightwave 8. We are expecting a lot. Probably too much for that matter. Read the threads responding to the Siggraph showing. If it seems Newtek has failed to deliver after two years of development (when competing programs are improving exponentially at twelve and six month cycles), Lightwavers will let you know. Obviously I am hoping that Lightwave 8 is more than the mecca it's developers imagined it to be, but it also might be a bust...in which case I would recommend Maya. The latest release of Maya is reasonably priced and strong like bull.

djlane
05-08-2003, 03:44 AM
cheers guys for your input, It has really helped. I`m going to get hold of a demo version and take it from there. I supose all these 3d apps are developed at such a pace that they are all as capable as each other in alot of cases.

Thanks again

dj

Matt
05-08-2003, 06:59 AM
no f*ing way! you're mad!!!!

mind you I was thinking of the Windows logo on my forehead.

;)

mattclary
05-08-2003, 07:28 AM
djlane, you can download and install 7.5b, it will work in demo mode.

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/Patches/LightWave_Windows/lw75b/LW75bUpdate.zip

djlane
05-08-2003, 08:31 AM
cheers

Doug Nicola
05-08-2003, 11:29 AM
djlane, just be forwarned that if you do install 7.5b, it's not exactly stable. I know that if I had started by test-driving 7.5b, I would have been just a tad freaked by how much it crashed (up to three times a day, compared to almost never with 7.5).

Anyways, it's a big investment for any powerful 3D software, so heed above advice and download and test a much as possible.

Having just tested Maya myself, I have only vastly increased my bias towards LightWave. A tattoo is out of the question, however.

:D

Hervé
05-09-2003, 02:01 AM
I have just opened Maya Learning edition, and let me tell you, it looks insane..... I'll never switch.... I love my LW, and I am glad 5 years ago, I made the good choice.....

there is a funny story about tatoos.... a guy named Will Mendez was LW animator, proudly posing for a Newtek ad campaign for NAB 2000, in the back cover of the (Now dead) NewTekniques magazine, and exhibing his LW tatoos ranging from 5.6 to 6.0 (one on his heart, the other one on his arm) the fun comes now.... he's now dedicated to .....XSI....!!!
So I wonder if he removed them, maybe with a laser, but it leaves bad marks...he he he

Hervé
05-09-2003, 02:03 AM
forgot..... and like the ad said.... it's not about attention, it'z about beliefs !!

Have a nice tatoo, euh....nice day sorry....

djlane
05-09-2003, 06:18 AM
Herve don`t you find having a seperate modeller a bit awkward compared to maya`s unifed environment.

Hervé
05-09-2003, 06:45 AM
at the beginning in LW, yes, but with time I like it that way.... I dont say it is better, but I am very used to, so... also I think you need a very stable app in order to merge them.... I mean it takes more ram memory, more ressources.... and the chances of introducing new big bugs is big, now that Newtek choose the 2 apps way a long time ago......

Last not least, keep the text menus..... I tried doing a couple of tuts, but you fiirst have to learn the Icons, making the learning curve even more...... ouf !

Just a POV.

mastermesh
05-12-2003, 03:43 PM
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!... oh well - here's my 2 cents - LW has best renderer out of the box for the price compared to the others... trueSpace is a toy that crashes a LOT. Maya seems ok until you realize how much you will be spending in the long run dollar for dollar compared to what is in LW. Max is an overpriced toy used for games... Max's main thing going for it is Character Studio, but that's a grand by itself... and it only does half of what a good rig and LW can do by itself. If you want good animation power look into Life Forms or something similar - which you can get free on Magazine CD covers if you know where to look...