PDA

View Full Version : LW OBJ export format on Mac still lacking

kfinla
10-30-2005, 11:54 AM
Ok im using Lw 8.3. Im also a Zbrush (2.03), and Maya (6.5) user.

First,wheres the Export > encaplusted post script (eps) function in LW8? I still think its lame i have to go back to 7.5 to export my UVs to Photoshop.

But my main statement is that the Lw implemenattion of the OBJ file format on the mac is seriously buggy. From atleast maya 6 (mac) and LW8.0 (mac), maya has not been unable to use a LW obj file. it imports, and u have nothing just an empty grid.

To get a model to Maya from LW i have to use Zbrush to import the OBJ (which zbrush doesnt seem to acknowledge the UV's ive made in LW 95% of the time, i may be dreaming it ever saw them. So i export by OBJ from Zbrush.. and load it into maya.. success it appears, with UV's! just not the ones i made in LW:(, but GUV or AUV that Zbrush slaps on to un-uv'd models.

Ofcourse, if i UV in maya now and create a OBJ and pass it to back to LW, LW sees the file and UV's fine.

So its my conclusion something is screwy with the OBJ exporter in LW. Since 2 other programs, have problems with it, yet they create objs LW reads fine.

Atleast importing OBJ's into LW8 osx no longer makes the program crash.

BTW i origionaly reported this problem a year ago.

toby
10-30-2005, 08:58 PM
I hear, and it seems true, that they haven't updated the exporter in a loooong time, and I know for a fact that the problem is not just on the Mac. Exporting can take 10 minutes, where other apps take 30 seconds, for the same object.

Here's hoping they update it sometime soon.

kfinla
10-30-2005, 09:28 PM
Well In a wierd way its comforting that you claim its not exclusivley a mac issue, seems more likely to me corrected then. I just dont recall having the same problems with the LW obj format on WIN but it has been probably 2 yrs since I used LW on WIN.

And about the OBJ exporter being slow, old etc. ya. Make an OBJ in Zbrush and it flies... exporting or importing a 600K poly mesh will take less than minute, probably more like 20 seconds. In LW importing a 600K mesh.. could take 30-45 mins, i actually think longer, i had to do this a few times once and had it timed down to within a few mins.. In Maya (7) based on a mesh of about 800K at work the other day that took about 5 mins? to import, maybe less.

3dworks
10-31-2005, 05:16 AM
Ok im using Lw 8.3. Im also a Zbrush (2.03), and Maya (6.5) user.

First,wheres the Export > encaplusted post script (eps) function in LW8? I still think its lame i have to go back to 7.5 to export my UVs to Photoshop.

But my main statement is that the Lw implemenattion of the OBJ file format on the mac is seriously buggy. From atleast maya 6 (mac) and LW8.0 (mac), maya has not been unable to use a LW obj file. it imports, and u have nothing just an empty grid.

To get a model to Maya from LW i have to use Zbrush to import the OBJ (which zbrush doesnt seem to acknowledge the UV's ive made in LW 95% of the time, i may be dreaming it ever saw them. So i export by OBJ from Zbrush.. and load it into maya.. success it appears, with UV's! just not the ones i made in LW:(, but GUV or AUV that Zbrush slaps on to un-uv'd models.

Ofcourse, if i UV in maya now and create a OBJ and pass it to back to LW, LW sees the file and UV's fine.

So its my conclusion something is screwy with the OBJ exporter in LW. Since 2 other programs, have problems with it, yet they create objs LW reads fine.

Atleast importing OBJ's into LW8 osx no longer makes the program crash.

BTW i origionaly reported this problem a year ago.

the problem is that the LW exporter does not write MTL files, thus UV textures (or any textures) are not exported at all. the same seems true for the import. as for the geometry, at least on LW8 the results with geometry are ok, i can read and write OBJ files perfectly from formZ to LW for example.

two positive notes: the EPS export works fine here and the EIAS (electric image) FACT import is fixed in 8.5 - i do not know if this is true for version 8.3...

barnabythebear
10-31-2005, 01:03 PM
two positive notes: the EPS export works fine here and the EIAS (electric image) FACT import is fixed in 8.5 - i do not know if this is true for version 8.3...

I never understood why LW dosn't export .fac if it can import them? That would be so cool!

ta
nige
(btw, i have a lot of trouble getting LW .obj's into EIAS)

3dworks
11-01-2005, 03:09 AM
I never understood why LW dosn't export .fac if it can import them? That would be so cool!

ta
nige
(btw, i have a lot of trouble getting LW .obj's into EIAS)

oh yes, that would be really helpful, also because EIAS file exchange tool transporter is not always correctly handling the newer LWO format.

jeremyhardin
11-02-2005, 01:40 PM
posted this elsewhere already.

obj export on mac works. it just has the same problem that other text writers on mac have. it doesn't handle line endings in the same way as pcs.

so if you open your obj in a text editor that supports pc line endings (i use smultron), add a space and delete it again (just so it's seen as edited) and resave it, it will work in maya and other apps just fine.

smultron:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/24012