PDA

View Full Version : Updating lightwave slows it down (for me at least)

sandman300
10-28-2005, 01:24 PM
I dont know if Its just me or if its something else but the render time of lightwave is getting worse. I've got a decent machine. Its a Dual Opteron 244, 1.8ghz with 1gig of ram.

I ran the benchmark from the LW8 content on the different revisions of LW to see how they compare. the first one is 8.3 on winXP, I tested 8.3 on win64 (don't have a pic) 29min21sec, the second pic is 8.5(32) on win64, the last was a little better, 8.5(64).

I left the settings of the scene as is. the threds are set to 2 and I set the segment mem limit up to 512. Its a small scene.

I had hoped that rendering time would go down, but I didn't expect the opposite. Any ideas whaat might be going on? what can I do to fix this?

nthused
10-28-2005, 01:56 PM
Very interesting, Sandman...As soon as I have time I'll have to look at my system...see how it's doing between the programs.

Right now, I'm patient enough to know that most of the brain power for the renderer is going to LW9 - as it's being completely rewritten - so I'm willing to give NT some slack on the timing issues with this release.

Strange though that it would be THAT much slower...

ACLOBO
10-29-2005, 03:32 PM
I suggest uninstalling, going into regedit and deleting all references to lightwave. THen delete all your preference files associated with lightwave (these are found in the documents folder of the adminstrator under winxp). Do a fresh install from your cd's and then update directly to 8.5.

There should be no need to reinstall the dongle drives, they should be fine. I found that this improved the performance of 8.5. Be warned though, that 8.5 seems to be riddled wit bugs for some users like myself (display issues in modeler and some in layout). I also take no responsibility for this suggestion - as that is all it is - a suggestion. I have been thinking of going back to 8.3 for modeler - not nearly as buggy for me.

-Adrian

sandman300
10-29-2005, 04:15 PM
I try that. After all, It is only a test machine. I'll let you know if there is any difference.

toby
10-29-2005, 04:23 PM
You've set the Segment memory Limit to take up half the ram on your machine?

The ONLY time you need more ram in the seg-mem-imit is when your render gets split into 2 or more segments. Any higher than that is wasted. Whoa - I forgot where to set it, it's been so long! Mine's been set to 96mb for years now, and even 1440x972 renders don't get segmented. Try that and see if it goes a little bit faster -

RedBull
10-29-2005, 07:32 PM
Having the segment memory set to 512, should not affect things....
It will only use 512mb if the resolution requires it....

However, like Toby have had mine set at 96Mb for years...

It's really not that uncommon for LW to the render different speeds
in different versions......

Like Nvidia drivers, NT seem to load-balance the LW renderer.....

If Layout is rendering larger scenes faster in most cases, in 8.5.
You can bet that will come at the cost of certain other scenes running slower.
So Radiosity will be 2x faster, but Reflection Blurring is now 3 times slower!
So it all evens out in the end.. ;)

Like Nvidia card drivers, which have fantastic OGL/DX speed one release,
and then the next, they optmize the drivers for a certain high selling game.
making it slower, for the game you were playing..... #@%^!%#

Add to fact that windows and system restore and countless other things
can cause huger discrepencies in render times, and i'd say that's the problem.

toby
10-29-2005, 07:44 PM
I just tried it, it makes almost no difference, but what I heard years ago from one of the programmers is that it does hold all the ram you assign. We should try it with a high-ram scene (why are there no high-poly, ram-intensive benchmark scenes?) before we judge.

btw I've been getting a few % improvement with 8.5 on the Mac, but so far none of the 'twice as fast' renders.

If Layout is rendering larger scenes faster in most cases, in 8.5.
You can bet that will come at the cost of certain other scenes running slower.
I hope you're wrong about that! Doesn't say much for 'advancement'!

liquidpope
10-29-2005, 09:59 PM
I ran the 8.5 patch over 8.3. Not a clean install.
With 8.3, it rendered in 22m 20sec (1340.7 sec.s)
8.5 rendered in 19m 29sec (1168.7 seconds)
Not much faster, but at least it's not backwards.
Who are these people reporting "twice as fast" renders. Are they making it up?
I'm still tempted to do a clean install, but I'll wait for 9.

toby
10-29-2005, 11:02 PM
8.5 - Render Speedups in some situations...
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=41628

Ozoka
10-31-2005, 01:41 PM
Remember everyone Xp64 and LW 8.5(64) are for powerful machines. XP Pro only reads up to 4gigs of ram and XP64 goes beyond that. So remember if you dont have powerful machine XP64 is pretty much useless.

sandman300
10-31-2005, 05:33 PM
Not that I'm arguing but that seems to alienate a lot of us users. Perhaps 8.5(64) was only released to show off the capabilities the 64bit OS allows. It almost feals as if 8.5 is a prerelease of 9. Newtek tech support dosn't see anything wrong. I'm looking forward to 9 though. :)

RedBull
10-31-2005, 11:13 PM
Not that I'm arguing but that seems to alienate a lot of us users. Perhaps 8.5(64) was only released to show off the capabilities the 64bit OS allows. It almost feals as if 8.5 is a prerelease of 9. Newtek tech support dosn't see anything wrong. I'm looking forward to 9 though. :)

I think the problem is the misconception that 64bit computing, is really meant to mean anything...... It will not make the exact same 32bit code, run twice as fast. a 64bit compile is nothing more than allowing parts of LW access larger amounts of memory, if it's required and available.

8.5 is a free update and bug fix for LW, a 64bit version just gives more options for newer hardware/software combinations and larger memory limits.
From what i see in your tests, LW8.5-64 is actually marginally faster than LW8.5-32 which is indeed a good thing?

If LW8.3-32 is rendering a certain scene faster than 8.5, it's perfectly normal.
as i said load balancing is quite common, and has happened in almost every version of LW, and for that matter most other rendering programs and 3D applications, for as long as i can remember You simply have to take the good with the bad.....

Unlike many other 3D programs, LW allows multiple versions of LW to share the same configs, so you can use 8.5/64 and 8.3/32 on the same 64bit machine, without much problems, so if you have mission critical job that requires the extra speed the 8.3 gave on that particular scene, and then 8.5
for the scenes that show a benefit in 8.5. (and many of my scenes are faster in 8.5) Cake and eat it too! - Just my 0.2 cents.

Bytehawk
11-01-2005, 05:45 AM
With my recent experience on 8.3 and 8.5 I would not reccomend sharing configuration files between version numbers of LW. For starters modeler could be unstable, some plugins have been updated for 8.5 and thus sharing an 8.5 with 8.3 configs is a 'bad' thing imho

sandman300
11-01-2005, 08:02 PM
RedBull and Bytehawk, thanks for you insight. I think I was a little depressed when I wrote the last post. All in all, I am extatic about LW64. And a little peaved that I couldn't install it on my home computer (Win64 driver issues). All I can really do right now is little tests (when I remember to bring my dongel) at work. The projects that I'm working on now, can be developed on the 32bit version for now. I think by the time I'm ready, 9 will be out, and even if its not, I'll be able to utilize the capabilities of the 64bit (the extra mem access). :) :lwicon: :thumbsup:

Thanks again

Here's mud in your eye (an American toast)