PDA

View Full Version : Instancing...like HD Instance

nthused
10-28-2005, 09:03 AM
This plug-in is EXTREMELY useful for placing hundreds or thousands of objects into scenes with precise placement using points, polygons, and weighmaps. IMHO, it should be implented natively to LW.

3dworks
10-28-2005, 12:53 PM
This plug-in is EXTREMELY useful for placing hundreds or thousands of objects into scenes with precise placement using points, polygons, and weighmaps. IMHO, it should be implented natively to LW.

yes, please newtek, contact happy digital for this! :thumbsup:

evenflcw
10-28-2005, 05:41 PM
NO, don't contact Happy Digital, do it yourself!

People who want HD Instance can use HD Instance! NT should make bigger efforts to do inhouse developing instead of buying out 3rd party solutions. It's apparent that collecting 3rd party plugins is not the best way to add functionality to LW. Unfortunatly not all NT-developed tools have been that great (either). But that's another issue.

wacom
10-29-2005, 01:30 AM
You'd think if a company can make a new render over haul they could also put in instancing...

hulagirl7
10-29-2005, 02:11 PM
NO, don't contact Happy Digital, do it yourself!

People who want HD Instance can use HD Instance! NT should make bigger efforts to do inhouse developing instead of buying out 3rd party solutions. It's apparent that collecting 3rd party plugins is not the best way to add functionality to LW. Unfortunatly not all NT-developed tools have been that great (either). But that's another issue.

If NT does plan to add is own implementation of instancing, I hope they
buy HD instance as a base to start from. I would hate for them to wipe
him out, and all his hard work and ideas, just because they want to
add their own version! I wonder what Newtek's policy is on this type
of situation. I'm sure they want 3rd party people to thrive, but at what
point to they make the call to integrate the feature?

Dodgy
10-29-2005, 05:45 PM
I second that. It's a good implementation, seems fairly solid and renders well.

pauland
10-30-2005, 08:17 AM
[QUOTE=hulagirl7]If NT does plan to add is own implementation of instancing, I hope they
buy HD instance as a base to start from. I would hate for them to wipe
him out, and all his hard work and ideas, just because they want to
add their own version! I wonder what Newtek's policy is on this type
of situation. I'm sure they want 3rd party people to thrive, but at what
point to they make the call to integrate the feature?[/QUOTE

It's a risk any developer takes. Who's to say that another better/cheaper instancing solution won't come along? Why should Newtek hesitate to build in new functionality because a 3rd party is filling a niche with the current product?

Newtek did develop an expressions system. It probably hurt Prem and Relativity, but now he's working on integrating it for Newtek. As a developer you take your chance, just like any other supplier, that the customer will continue to want your product.

I'd be happy for Newtek to build another instancing solution, or anyone else for that matter.

Matt
10-30-2005, 08:52 AM
I agree, competition breeds better products and choice for the consumer, way it goes!

tektonik
11-01-2005, 12:40 PM
they could help the inventive ones by subsidising the plug in on a per purchase basis!

for each seat of the plug sold they pay part of it...
if the plugin is good well the lightwave ecosystem is better for it

i don't think there is a merket big enough inside LW community for many plugs like this...

the competition is there... it is the other software packages

i would rather have one costly, yet good, HD instance instead of 3 cheap and bad ones!

evenflcw
11-02-2005, 10:02 AM
Question is who owes who? 3rd parties for extending LWs capabilities making it slightly more attractive or NT for creating LW and a market for LW plugin developers in the first place. It's a win-win situation and I'd say both owe eachother everything and nothing at the same time.

I don't mean 3rd party developers should be left out in the cold. But NT need not pamper them, and should not favor one before the other. What they should focus on is providing them with support and the tools to work with (develop sdk/lscript). That should keep all parties happy (NT, 3rd party and LW users) and noone feeling left out.

By subsidings one party they would be unfair to all others and stifle their creativity (possibly the one subsidised aswell). Also if NT is to pay for anything they should make sure they also reap the profits. As such I think what they have been doing recently, employing 3rd parties developers, seems like a smart strategy. I'd rather they keep a more static team than have people come and go, but you can't have everything. Hopefully they make sure employees document their work properly.

There is one specific thing I think NT could do better to honor 3rd developers though. The Wavy Awards could really honor more aspects of Lightwaveing. They should consider adding a Wavy award for plugin development. One for commercial- and another for non-commercial plugins. Unfortunatly NT doesn't seem to be running that show anymore.