PDA

View Full Version : maybe boring, but a nice View on the Alps

Demon
10-28-2005, 02:42 AM
Hi all Lightwavers out there,

i know there are a lot of apps out there to make nice terrain modeling and even build whole sceneries with. My task was to build a photolike pic just with Lightwaves plugs and procedural textures. Thats the result after 2 hours of tweaking and getting the right look. Hope u like it. Critics and comments welcome.

Dirk
10-28-2005, 05:12 AM
I like it. Reminds me of the paintings of Caspar David Friedrich.

Demon
11-02-2005, 12:37 AM
hmm, to be honest i hoped of more replies. Is there nothing to add or criticize?

arnoldawson
11-02-2005, 02:55 AM
Maybe not quite photoreal (if that is what you were after) but I think you have done well. I have been trying to produce landscapes in Lightwave myself without much success. Would be interested to know how you achieved this.

shaol
11-02-2005, 05:54 AM
If you wont c&c then put it in WIP. the lighting too bright and I don't like the reflection if that is what they are. other wise nice

bluerider
11-02-2005, 06:11 AM
OK. The main problem with the image is basically lack of a vocal point. Because of this viewer loses interest very quickly.

If you were purely trying to lllustrate the features of a lanscape/ skyscape generator then with other examples that would be fine. However as a Landscape you need to engage the intellect of the viewer.

Casper David Fredrick was mentioned, he would be a laudable study on focal points or visual hooks in his composition. He wouldn't nesseccarily use figures, it would use a tree, a Cross etc. He was not just considering a point of intrige but he obviously was careful in regard to placement within the composition of the landscape

Here is a link to study some of his works, you may already be aware of his work so sorry if I sound patronising
http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&hs=PkH&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=Casper%20David%20Friedrich&spell=1&sa=N&tab=wi

One major problem with people getting interested in CGI is that the whole emphesis is on what features the tool can produce, with is of course rather an essential element. However, when trying to produce art with that tool, remember thats all it is. Have a plan worked out before booting up your computer?

Demon
11-02-2005, 07:36 AM
OK. The main problem with the image is basically lack of a vocal point. Because of this viewer loses interest very quickly.

yeah i see ur point...pretty boring to watch some mountains and nothing else. good point on that one.

If you were purely trying to lllustrate the features of a lanscape/ skyscape generator then with other examples that would be fine. However as a Landscape you need to engage the intellect of the viewer.

Well, the aim of that pic was to show to newbies how easy u can create landscapes with Lightwaves internal procedurale textures and shaders. No landscape or scenery generator was used on that one.

Casper David Fredrick was mentioned, he would be a laudable study on focal points or visual hooks in his composition. He wouldn't nesseccarily use figures, it would use a tree, a Cross etc. He was not just considering a point of intrige but he obviously was careful in regard to placement within the composition of the landscape

I never heard of him to be honest. And i am not too interested in real art. I like to play around with LW and create some tuts for people having more talent in art than i have. I know my tools but i am lousy at art itself.

Here is a link to study some of his works, you may already be aware of his work so sorry if I sound patronising
http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&hs=PkH&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=Casper%20David%20Friedrich&spell=1&sa=N&tab=wi

thx. its always interesting to get some ideas from real masters :)

One major problem with people getting interested in CGI is that the whole emphesis is on what features the tool can produce, with is of course rather an essential element. However, when trying to produce art with that tool, remember thats all it is. Have a plan worked out before booting up your computer?

well, i never have a plan when i boot my computer :compbeati . sometimes some things pop up in my mind and i have the need to "produce" them in LW. Thats all. i dont call myself an ARTIST in the common sense.

But thx a lot for taking ur time to give me some feedback which i find very usefull. :) thanx a lot

Demon
11-02-2005, 07:40 AM
Maybe not quite photoreal (if that is what you were after) but I think you have done well. I have been trying to produce landscapes in Lightwave myself without much success. Would be interested to know how you achieved this.

Hi Arnold,

well there will be soon a Tutorial on Newteks site how i achieved that. Maybe that helps u in creating easy sceneries like that.

cheers

Demon
11-02-2005, 07:43 AM
If you wont c&c then put it in WIP. the lighting too bright and I don't like the reflection if that is what they are. other wise nice

well i ve seen a lot of post in the finished gallery with lots of c&c. See no reason to post it there to be honest coz i wont invest more time in that image since it was just the result of a 30 mins tutorial i did for newbies to show off the ability of lightwaves shaders and procedurale textures.

But thx for the reply :)

cheers

adrian
11-04-2005, 11:12 AM
Well I'm certainly looking forward to your tut! I think those mountains would make a great fly-through....

No crits from me as I really like it - and I will never get bored of looking at the Alps :)

Adrian.

mattclary
11-04-2005, 12:04 PM
Well, I think it looks very good. Maybe not perfect, but VERY nice. When you do your tutorial, be as detailed as possible and include your texturing technique. There is a mountain tutorial on NewTek's site now, but it really just covers the basics, could use a lot more flesh.

Demon
11-04-2005, 04:52 PM
thx for the comments guys. well i am in contact with proton and the tut will be available soon. Thx for ur interests

cheers