PDA

View Full Version : I know why they named it "Screamernet"

csquared63
10-27-2005, 09:02 PM
Aaaargh!!!! OK, So I followed Matt Gomer's tutorial, and I have my two PC's (4 processors) showing up, but now only Node1 is rendering the correct file format, PSD32, while the other three are spitting out FLX files.

What gives?

Carl

Weetos
10-28-2005, 04:13 AM
Been there, done that... screamed as well. This happened to me too, the problem was that the nodes rendering FLX files weren't able to find the plugins dir. Check your config files and make sure you have access to the plugins from the concerned nodes (you can use a dos box to check it up), through the path declared in your config file

Good luck :)

csquared63
10-28-2005, 06:29 AM
Cool thanks Weetos. I was 'this' far from Monkey Island myself! How was it?

Carl

csquared63
10-28-2005, 06:30 AM
Oops, forgot to mention that node1 and node2 are on the same machine, dual processor. Why would one be able to find the folder and not the other- unless my screamernet bat files are different??? Hmmm.

Weetos
10-28-2005, 07:39 AM
I was 'this' far from Monkey Island myself! How was it?

that was pretty cool, eh :)

I guess your batch files have different settings, but if they don't... well I'm stumped :stumped:

Lottmedia
10-29-2005, 11:33 AM
Actually made a thread named EXACTLY this a few months back (a year?) I eventually used Amleto (sp?) because I couldn't get good resullts out of screemernet, always the problems with plugins and such. I've said it before and I'll say it again, NT where is a screemernet module download? Why does it have to be such a pain? (and no, I'm not gonna use linux)

csquared63
10-29-2005, 11:49 AM
Who makes Amleto? I've spent more time (=money) trying to get this stupid screamernet to work. Funny thing is, my networked nodes work fine, but the Master can't seem to find the plugins!

Matt
10-29-2005, 01:41 PM
Re-check all your paths and access rights to the various folders (command folder, plugins etc.) there's no reason why it shouldn't work!

csquared63
10-29-2005, 05:55 PM
Hey Matt,

Here's my setup.

Master Computer - Dual Processors, with LW installed C:\Program Files\Lightwave\ mapped as \\system\screamernet and shared

Directory structure for pertinent files:

\\system\screamernet\
config (for non-screamernet renders)
config_sn (for screamernet)
Content
Plugins
Programs (bat files here)
screamer_command
screamer_save

startlwsn_node.bat file

echo init >\\system\screamernet\screamer_command\job1
LWSN.exe -2 -d\\system\screamernet\ -c\\system\screamernet\config_sn\lw3.cfg \\system\screamernet\screamer_command\job1 \\system\screamernet\screamer_command\ack1

startlwsn_node2.bat file

echo init >\\system\screamernet\screamer_command\job2
LWSN.exe -2 -d\\system\screamernet\ -c\\system\screamernet\config_sn\lw3.cfg \\system\screamernet\screamer_command\job2 \\system\screamernet\screamer_command\ack2

My Other Computer - Dual Processors

startlwsn_node3.bat

echo init >\\system\screamernet\screamer_command\job3
LWSN.exe -2 -d\\system\screamernet\ -c\\system\screamernet\config_sn\lw3.cfg \\system\screamernet\screamer_command\job3 \\system\screamernet\screamer_command\ack3

startlwsn_node4.bat

echo init >\\system\screamernet\screamer_command\job4
LWSN.exe -2 -d\\system\screamernet\ -c\\system\screamernet\config_sn\lw3.cfg \\system\screamernet\screamer_command\job4 \\system\screamernet\screamer_command\ack4

I should also mention that my plugins folder is in c:\program files\lightwave\plugins and that nodes 3 and 4 are finding the plugins just fine and rendering pshop32 files just as instructed while the main computer is spittinng out Flexible Image Format. (Who uses that anyway?!)

I checked the path to the plugins as contained in \\system\screamernet\config_sn\lw3.cfg and it's showing correctly for all of them, DirectoryType Plug-ins \\system\screamernet\Plugins\ and the content directory is set to ContentDirectory \\system\screamernet\.

All the pointers to the plugins in LWEXT3.cfg and LWEXT8.cfg are rooted to \\system\screamernet

The Network Rendering Command Directory is set to \\system\screamernet\screamer_command

Maybe my new machine doesn't want any help from my old PIII's and is being difficult? Ha! Anyway, if you guys can figure it out I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Carl

csquared63
10-29-2005, 08:59 PM
OK, I reinstalled LW under C:. I had a feeling the "program Files" directory might be throwing SN a curve because Matt mentioned "spaces" being an issue in his tutorial.

The good news is that all 4 nodes are rendering the proper file format. The bad news is that they can't locate two image files I'm using for textures even though the images are clearly in the location the node is searching.

I tried replacing the images and resaving the scene. Do I need to remove and add it to SN again before rendering or is SN smart enough to use the latest file?

Carl

Matt
10-29-2005, 10:31 PM
One thing straight away, you don't need to add 'LW3.cfg' to the config path on the batch files, try removing that, might be causing problems

Hoopti
10-30-2005, 04:58 PM
If you're trying to export out as PSD files from the picture type dropdown, that's not going to work right anyway. You need to add an image filter to export out to PSD files properly. That could be your problem too.

Hoop

csquared63
10-30-2005, 06:30 PM
I'm using the LW built-in plugin. I got the plugins working but I still can't make it recognize the images directory. They're all under the LW "root", objects, scenes, images so it makes no sense to me.

I had to get the actual PROJECT done so I'm doing it the old fashioned way now.

Carl

Silkrooster
10-30-2005, 08:19 PM
Only thing I can think of is check the permissions for the image folder. I had that happen to me recently, even though the folder was sharable the other computer could not access the folder because the group everyone was not listed for having access. Sometimes XP can be very finiky.
Silk

Lottmedia
10-31-2005, 09:28 AM
sirry it's been a bit, go to http://www.nodalideas.com/amleto/index.html for Amleto. Some of the ScreamerNet purist may scoff but I'd rather a solution that works. It's free if you're using just two other computers and after that it's fairly reasonably priced, well worth it to me.

Matt
10-31-2005, 09:34 AM
Personally I think ButterflyNet Render (BNR) is the most solid solution out there, more pricey though.

Lottmedia
10-31-2005, 09:36 AM
Had problems with BNR (can't remember what they were, it's been a while) but Amleto worked without a hitch, was easy to understand and came with free candy (OK, no candy, but you get it)

Hoopti
10-31-2005, 08:55 PM
Any issue I've ever had with BNR was shaped out in very short order by Paul Lord who offers some of the most outstanding service. I've even had help arrive in my inbox at 10pm at night.

And if you go pro, it can handle more than just LW as well.

Hoop

Matt
11-01-2005, 12:05 PM
When I looked at Amleto I couldn't figure it out!

Each to their own I guess!

inquisitive
11-03-2005, 12:30 AM
Actually made a thread named EXACTLY this a few months back (a year?) I eventually used Amleto (sp?) because I couldn't get good resullts out of screemernet, always the problems with plugins and such. I've said it before and I'll say it again, NT where is a screemernet module download? Why does it have to be such a pain? (and no, I'm not gonna use linux)

are you saying that linux works better? I have three linux boxes.. i was thinking i needed to format the HD and install windows but i rather not if i can avoid it.

is there a tutorial somewhere for linux? and is there a file that supports 8.5?